Uru: Well of light

Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the bottom
of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the floor.
I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something. I
followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even look
like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...

Help? Just a clue, no spoilers please.

BTW, what is this "Tree" age called?

~Pier
8 answers Last reply
More about light
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Pierson" <quicksilver119@rr.com> wrote in message
    > Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the bottom
    > of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the
    floor.
    > I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something. I
    > followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even
    look
    > like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...

    > Help? Just a clue, no spoilers please.

    Think like a vampire?

    > BTW, what is this "Tree" age called?

    It's Kadish Tolesa, took me forever to figure out where I was!

    Seahag
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Seahag" <Seahag@toadymail.net> wrote in message

    > "Pierson" <quicksilver119@rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the
    bottom
    > > of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the
    > floor.
    > > I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something.
    > > followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even
    > look
    > > like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...
    >
    > > Help? Just a clue, no spoilers please.
    >
    > Think like a vampire?
    > >
    > > BTW, what is this "Tree" age called?
    >
    > It's Kadish Tolesa, took me forever to figure out where I was!
    >
    > Seahag
    >
    > Oh. I'll try it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Pierson <quicksilver119@rr.com> wrote:
    > Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the bottom
    > of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the floor.
    > I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something. I
    > followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even look
    > like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...

    I did not like this puzzle age. It was too deceiving in parts. That's a
    hint, BTW. It would of taken me months of fustration to figure it out so
    I got hints from a walkthrough.

    Later,
    Steven
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Pierson <quicksilver119@rr.com> wrote:
    > > Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the
    bottom
    > > of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the
    floor.
    > > I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something.
    > > followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even
    look
    > > like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...
    >
    > I did not like this puzzle age. It was too deceiving in parts. That's a
    > hint, BTW. It would of taken me months of fustration to figure it out so
    > I got hints from a walkthrough.
    >
    > Later,
    > Steven

    I couldn't agree more Steven. The in-game clues for this age were sparse,
    abstract, and in some cases outright deceptive. Even though I had completed
    all three previous Myst games without seeking out any clues, I finally got
    help with this age after many weeks of frustration. Before I went for help,
    I didn't understand the concept that was key to some of these puzzles.

    Except for Kadish Tolesa I really liked URU. I've completed URU prime and
    the first expansion pack. I plan on getting the second as soon as it is
    available.

    Good luck Pierson,
    Bob
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Pierson" <quicksilver119@rr.com> wrote in message news:<%vtpc.11150$q_1.2223@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I'm in the bottom
    > of the tower or well with the hanging shapes that cast shadows on the floor.
    > I believe I have the lights right, but I'm obviously missing something. I
    > followed the light "maze" across to the door, but the door doesn't even look
    > like it's supposed to open. I haven't found another way out...
    >
    > Help? Just a clue, no spoilers please.

    First, let me echo the other replies in this thread. I *hated* this
    age. The puzzles were just too darned difficult. When I'm pushed to
    purchase the guide book, and when I use it I am *still* struggling to
    see how I would've ever gotten from A to B using logic... something's
    wrong.

    Anyway, on to my non-spoiler clue.

    Well, you've gotten this far by solving the hardest puzzle of this
    age. You should've gotten your clues on how to solve the rotating
    shapes puzzle from a vertical tier of stained glass windows. The
    gallery where those windows are found holds clues to every puzzle in
    this age.

    Stop here if this is a surprise to you. :)

    Now, on to more detailed clues, that could potentially spoil some
    details.

    Ah, apparently you've figured that out already. Here's something that
    may help you further. There are a LOT of details that you can neglect
    to transcribe if you drew the stained glass window pattern on paper
    (like I did initially). Have you gotten a wrist device from one of
    the other ages? It has a screen capture capability, so you can take a
    picture of the window and view that picture while trying to solve the
    puzzle at it's actual location.

    The stained glass window clue for this room shows a path that only
    _partly_ crosses the floor. That door on the far side is a red
    herring. If you've figured out which switches to turn on from info on
    the stained glass (as opposed to what "looks" right), look for a
    light/shadow pattern on the floor that closely resembles the path on
    the stained glass.

    When trying out your theories, walk all the way outside the circular
    floor and up to the steps before trying each new path. The
    third-person "camera" will make a fairly dramatic move when you start
    the path correctly.

    Dennis
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Dennis

    I don't know how you're supposed to know some of this stuff, maybe just
    osmosis from the air or something.... I'm referring to things like the
    names of the Ages, and the use of the KI as a screen-capture device. Where
    did you find out about it? Am I missing an "owner's manual" somewhere?

    I saw a reference to the KI myself in an earlier thread on this ng, but I
    can't seem to get it to work - I go back to the URU folder and dig thru
    every subfolder, but I can't find any screenshots. Perhaps they have a
    special file extension (i.e. not jpeg)? What's the trick here? (BTW - Does
    the KI have any other function?)

    Since we're sniping at the Ubisoft programmers a bit here, I'd like to throw
    in that the setup/OS issue that really bugs me is the lack of an easy way to
    shell out to the desktop without killing the game. Trying to adjust sound
    levels to compensate for changing background noise is a real pain and
    concentration-breaker. Riven and Myst made it quite easy to do, as I recall.
    Also, I've found that any other program's use of a sound file (such as an
    incoming-mail alert ping) while Uru is playing causes an IRQ conflict that
    crashes my sound card. Anyone else have this problem? I have to quit the
    game and reboot the machine to get any sound back. As a result, I have
    played an awful lot of Uru sessions with no sound at all, which is probably
    a handicap. It took me a while to figure out what was causing the crashes,
    but sometimes I still forget to terminate the mail client :-(

    =

    =

    =

    =

    =

    =

    Thanks for the clues - I am stuck in exactly the same place, although I had
    already deduced that the obvious door was bogus, even though the light path
    (seems to) lead to it. I reckon the "red dot" on the mural will become
    important as soon as I figure the right path out...

    ~RL
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Oh, never mind about the KI thing - my 10-year-old son just figured it out
    for me - aaarghh...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message news:<fA8qc.54769$BG1.20482@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > Dennis
    >
    > I don't know how you're supposed to know some of this stuff, maybe just
    > osmosis from the air or something.... I'm referring to things like the
    > names of the Ages, and the use of the KI as a screen-capture device. Where
    > did you find out about it? Am I missing an "owner's manual" somewhere?

    When I got my KI, I started clicking all over it's surface. I found
    the sound on/off switch, the "move the KI to another part of the
    screen" button, and the screen capture pretty quickly. There IS a
    journal elsewhere in the same age as the KI machine that BEGINS to
    describe what it can do, but not very well. Of course, it's not close
    to the KI machine. Heck, it's not even in the same BUILDING. :) But
    it's laying on a table, like other journals, so you'll find it once
    you get to the right room.

    By the way, after you get your KI, if you pull up the [?] icon and go
    to Controls screen, you'll see that the F5 key has been activated as a
    shortcut to do a screen grab as well. (This is info I've gathered
    over several days of playing, not stuff I instinctively knew right
    away, of course. I was quite surprised to see the F5 bit while I was
    searching for something else.)

    The screenshots are under... lessee if I can remember... C:\Program
    Files\Ubisoft\Uru\Screen Captures ...the last folder name might be
    off a bit. Search for .jpg files instead of .jpeg maybe. If you're
    on a Mac, I'll be way off, I'm sure.

    The names of the ages are found in one of the "loose" books to the
    right of your wardrobe at the little island in the sky (Relto). The
    names are there, along with symbols that match symbols on the little
    towers with the books out in front of the building.

    The KI was intended to have more functionality in the online form of
    the game, to help with chatting. As it is, it's useful to take
    pictures of what look like important clues, or to take snapshots of
    particularly pretty scenery. Once you download the "From Uru to D'ni"
    expansion pack, you FINALLY get to take advantage of that
    three-coordinate system that's always displaying zeroes next to the KI
    on the screen.

    But I'll hold off on talking about that for now. :)

    > Since we're sniping at the Ubisoft programmers a bit here, I'd like to throw
    > in that the setup/OS issue that really bugs me is the lack of an easy way to
    > shell out to the desktop without killing the game.

    Are you playing on a Mac? Just using the standard Windows command
    Alt-Esc should get you to the desktop. If you have any other
    applications running (even Notepad), hitting Alt-Tab will let you jump
    from one application to the next. There is, of course, a lag while
    the computer is dumping Uru out of it's main memory (or whatever it
    has to do) and get to the next task, of course. But I don't think
    I've _ever_ had a game that had a shell-to-OS feature built in.

    If your copy is crashing as often as you say, it sounds like something
    went a little wonky with the install... or maybe a bug patch is in
    order. Have you checked their site for patches you may need? I think
    they've released one or two since version 1.0 came out on CD.

    Dennis

Light Games Pointer Video Games