NTbackup with Windows Server 2003 can not find media?!

Hello,
I have used the backup wizard to create a basic script, and then modifed the
script created to back up to a file at a specific place on our network. When
the job kicks off, it looks like this:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup
"@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks" /n "e:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /d
"Server2002BU" /n "e:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /v:no /r:yes /rs:no /hc:eek:ff
/m normal /j "Server2002BU" /l:f /f "E:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /um

when the report is checked, I get:

The saved selection file ""@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks" cannot be
found.
The saved selection file ""@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks" cannot be
found.

Any suggestions why this is?

If I run the job manually from the command line, it works beautifully.

Please help if you can,

Allen Swain

Allen Swain wrote:
> Hello,
> I have used the backup wizard to create a basic script, and then
> modifed the script created to back up to a file at a specific place
> on our network. When the job kicks off, it looks like this:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup
> "@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks" /n
> "e:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /d "Server2002BU" /n
> "e:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /v:no /r:yes /rs:no /hc:eek:ff /m normal
> /j "Server2002BU" /l:f /f "E:\server2002-JusticeOne.bkf" /um
>
> when the report is checked, I get:
>
> The saved selection file ""@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks"
> cannot be found.
> The saved selection file ""@C:\admin\Server2002JusticeOneBU.bks"
> cannot be found.
>
> Any suggestions why this is?
>
> If I run the job manually from the command line, it works beautifully.

Two questions:
1. What service account is this scheduled task running under? If you're
backing up to another server it needs to be a domain account, not local
system, etc., that has the right permissions...
2. Unless you're mapping the e drive to the other server in a batch file
that runs this script, it won't persist when you log off. Have you tried
using a UNC path instead?

> Please help if you can,
>
> Allen Swain

I've had this problem too when I tried to move the .bks file to
somewhere other than the standard NTBackup data folder
(%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data) after I created it with the NTBackup GUI even. My
suggestion would be to make the .bks file by using the NTBackup GUI and
then NOT editing it with Notepad or anything because you'll introduce
Unicode errors (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=872937) and also
leave it in the NTBackup Data folder.

You can try my free script named NTBackupScript which I put together
just for Windows Server 2003 backups using NTBACKUP. It's at
http://ntbackup.no-ip.com

-Good Luck!