Adding Users

I have inherited the administration job of a 2003 server. I can add computers
and users with no problems. I can also grant permissions without problems.
I am having problems with the clients. Windows 2000. After joining them to
the domain I try adding users to the local groups(Administrator, power user
etc.) I can see the domain from the drop down box at the top, choose it and
add a user. When I choose Apply or Ok, I get an error message about the
domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
Why? The computer is already on the domain and I can see the domain. I
should be able to add users from the domain.
This happens with any new computer or user I add. It seems like it has to do
with the user account or computer account on the server.
Your help would be appreciated.

Fergie wrote:
> I have inherited the administration job of a 2003 server. I can add
> computers and users with no problems. I can also grant permissions
> without problems.
> I am having problems with the clients. Windows 2000. After joining
> them to the domain I try adding users to the local
> groups(Administrator, power user etc.) I can see the domain from the
> drop down box at the top, choose it and add a user. When I choose
> Apply or Ok, I get an error message about the domain does not exist
> or cannot be contacted.
> Why? The computer is already on the domain and I can see the domain. I
> should be able to add users from the domain.
> This happens with any new computer or user I add. It seems like it
> has to do with the user account or computer account on the server.
> Your help would be appreciated.

Make sure your DNS is set up properly -
All servers and workstations should specify *only* the internal
AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network settings. The
AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to your ISP's DNS
servers for external resolution and/or use root hints.

Just to add to previous post -- I recon that your PC can browse domain
using NetBIOS (that why you can see the list) but not able to
determine actual object that should be added to desired group.