How to use DeviceIOControl with FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP

Hi All,

I need to check if there is the volume large enough to accept the entire
file, I need to save my file on continuous clusters.

So, I decide to use DeviceIOControl with FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP, however, I
always get AccessViolation when printing GetLastError(), also I cannot get
the BITMAP.

Generally, I use the following:

hVolume = CreateFile("\\\\.\\f:",
GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE,
FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,
NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING,
0,
NULL);

stStartLCN.StartingLcn.QuadPart = 0;

bResult = DeviceIoControl(hVolume,
FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP,
&stStartLCN,
sizeof(stStartLCN),
vbb,
sizeof(*vbb) + (512 * sizeof VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER)),

&junk,
(LPOVERLAPPED) NULL);

Also, how do I use vbb to check a continuous cluster space?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

bbdd

krishnampkkm

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Mr.....

try this code.... I face some problems here...But it may be useful for u...
And if u can solve my problems with code ,,,,,should reply...

I'm trying to copy the used clusters of a hard disk partition(NTFS,windows os) to another partition.

I used the "FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP" to get the cluster usage details.And I'm getting the used and free cluster counts correctly.And the cluster number I got is continuous.This makes problem for me. I wanna copy the used clusters to a different partition.

What type of cluster number I'm getting.? ; but the answer is correct.It makes confusion to me.the clusters may not be continuous so what the following program segment gives..??

BOOL IsClusterUsed (UINT64 Cluster)
{
return ((BitmapDetail[Cluster / 32] & (1 << (Cluster % 32))) ? TRUE : FALSE);
}

STARTING_LCN_INPUT_BUFFER StartingLCN;
VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER *Bitmap = NULL;
UINT32 BitmapSize;
DWORD BytesReturned1;
BOOL Result;
ULONGLONG ClusterCount = 0;

StartingLCN.StartingLcn.QuadPart = 0;
BitmapSize = sizeof (VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER) + 4;
Bitmap = (VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER *) malloc (BitmapSize);

Result = DeviceIoControl(
h_MyDevice_src2,
FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP,
&StartingLCN,
sizeof (StartingLCN),
Bitmap,
BitmapSize,
&BytesReturned1,
NULL);

if (Result == FALSE &&GetLastError()!= ERROR_MORE_DATA)
{
free (Bitmap);
cout<<"\n bitmap error occured";
goto label12;
}

ClusterCount = Bitmap->BitmapSize.QuadPart -
Bitmap->StartingLcn.QuadPart;//TOT noof clusters
cout<<"\n Tot no of clusters :"<<ClusterCount<<"\n";

BitmapSize = sizeof (VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER) + (Bitmap->BitmapSize.QuadPart / 8) + 1;
Bitmap = (VOLUME_BITMAP_BUFFER *) realloc (Bitmap, BitmapSize);

Result = DeviceIoControl(
h_MyDevice_src2,
FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP,
&StartingLCN,
sizeof (StartingLCN),
Bitmap,
BitmapSize,
&BytesReturned,
NULL);

DWORD LastError = GetLastError ();
if (Result == FALSE)
{
printf ("\nCouldn't properly read volume bitmap\n");
free (Bitmap);
goto label12;
}
BitmapDetail = (UINT32 *) malloc (sizeof(UINT32) * (1 + (ClusterCount / 32)));
memcpy (BitmapDetail, Bitmap->Buffer, sizeof(UINT32) * (1 + (ClusterCount / 32)));

UINT64 Max;
UINT64 cc;
Max=ClusterCount;
UINT64 usedcluster=0;

for (cc = 0; cc < Max; cc++)
{

if ( IsClusterUsed (cc)) // return 1 from buffer
{
// cluster used

usedcluster=usedcluster+1;

}
}

cout<<"\n Used no of clusters :"<<usedcluster<<"\n";

Getting the total cluster counts correctly
Getting the used cluster counts correctly
while printing the used cluster number it shows continuous numbers....?? why...?

I know.... Logical and virtual cluster numbers are there...Other than these original cluster number will be there....????

Sometimes my question may be totally wrong.....

with regards
Krish
Krishnampkkm@gmail.com