Windows defrag appl and 15% free ?

Hi,

When I under Win2K pro want to defrag a partition with the built-in
Windows defragmenter, it often after analysis recommends to defrag but
also says that I should have at least 15% free space on the partition
in question. Some of my partitions are really full.

I usually move some files to another partition temporarily and then
after defrag move them back where they belong, but now the whole HD is
getting quite full.

Is it dangerous to perform a defrag if I do not have the 15% free
space (or maybe it was 12%?) ?

Why does it ask for 15% free space? Is it because it will be faster to
defrag if I have free space and I might end up taking 3 days to defrag
a 40 gig partition with only 2 gig free space?

Thanks,

Dutronic

This MS Knowledge Base article explains better than what I do:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318759

It needs free space in order to defragment, and will not be successful if
free space is too low. I wouldn't say that it would be dangerous to try,
though.

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)