Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Kim Dotcom Flaunts New Mega Servers: 720 TB Per Rack

Last response: in News comments
December 20, 2012 7:51:14 PM

That rack is bigger than his!
December 20, 2012 7:52:54 PM

I don't get why they go after places that host just the torrents of the files or act as data dumps...
They need to go after the pirating rings that regularly release the pirated software/movies...

There are rings of these guys that even compete with each other on who can release whatever the fastest/before the other...
And these guys seem to be a pretty stable group, they run under the same name for years, and yet, never get shutdown...

Going after freakshows like this dotcom character does nothing. Another data dump pops up in his place...
December 20, 2012 8:04:21 PM

Sounds like storage on a budget!

A rack of Supermicro storage servers is cool, but with all his excess, why aren't we looking at a bunch of netapp shelves, or EMC, or Compellant for that matter?

Looks like he's scrimping and scraping.
December 20, 2012 8:08:58 PM

Please tell me I'm not the only one frightened when Kim Dotcom says that he has a computer that sounds like it could take on Godzilla. :pt1cable: 
Anonymous
December 20, 2012 8:10:53 PM

@markus-san
Probably the reason why Backblaze doesn't use netapps. They can utilize cheap mass storage with software to cover for redundancy.
December 20, 2012 8:15:30 PM

markus-sanSounds like storage on a budget!A rack of Supermicro storage servers is cool, but with all his excess, why aren't we looking at a bunch of netapp shelves, or EMC, or Compellant for that matter?Looks like he's scrimping and scraping.

They do not offer higher storage density, just different data storage designs and RAID designs with technology to manage all the storage. A rack of EMC or NetApp would actually have less storage than straight servers like his since it would have redundancy built in for the data protection (not to say that Mega will lack redundancy). If you have the talent, you can make these things (servers) your self - that is what Facebook and Google do.
December 20, 2012 8:19:50 PM

Good, I have never pirated

Per rack people have a look at just that picture
December 20, 2012 8:21:02 PM

I agree with m223767 and scook9.. I used to build storage systems for my old company.. Its much cheaper to buy tons of supermicro 48 drive rack mountable chassis and slap a hard drives in there.. The big boys charge an arm and leg for replacement drives.. Just use a ZFS system like open solaris and have a party.. You can scale massively large and have amazingly high redundancy while doing it.. Hell the netapp at my new job drops a disk about every month so whats the difference..
December 20, 2012 8:34:43 PM

I wonder what would be the performance if the entire thing was in RAID0 (and the reliability as well).
December 20, 2012 8:47:11 PM

memadmaxI don't get why they go after places that host just the torrents of the files or act as data dumps...They need to go after the pirating rings that regularly release the pirated software/movies...There are rings of these guys that even compete with each other on who can release whatever the fastest/before the other...And these guys seem to be a pretty stable group, they run under the same name for years, and yet, never get shutdown...Going after freakshows like this dotcom character does nothing. Another data dump pops up in his place...

i believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.
Anonymous
December 20, 2012 8:50:46 PM

@memadmax
I don't believe you. There aren't "groups" out there that race to pirate things. You've got some pretty wild fantasies.
December 20, 2012 8:57:22 PM

I have a feeling that this guy will not die of natural causes in bed.
You can tick of many people, but there is the moment you ticked of the wrong guy/group and then things make the 6 o'clock news.

Not a loss to the DNA pool fortunately.
December 20, 2012 9:14:16 PM

otacon72This guy never learns..

no he already knows what he needs to..

NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SUBMIT, PERSEVERE KEEP ROLLING NEVER BACK DOWN

they call him a criminal in USA when that is the farking motto
December 20, 2012 9:21:26 PM

freggoI have a feeling that this guy will not die of natural causes in bed.You can tick of many people, but there is the moment you ticked of the wrong guy/group and then things make the 6 o'clock news.Not a loss to the DNA pool fortunately.

Sad statement of fear, good job the ruling class will like that in the future
December 20, 2012 11:21:15 PM

Rebuilding Rome I see. Good for you Kim. FTF's
December 20, 2012 11:56:33 PM

jonjonjoni believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.

it is a legitimate business model just not when applied to coppyright material.
December 21, 2012 12:30:31 AM

kfddjkghf@memadmaxI don't believe you. There aren't "groups" out there that race to pirate things. You've got some pretty wild fantasies.

Then I believe that you have never pirated anything before...

Good boy.

=D
December 21, 2012 1:41:12 AM

spentshellsSad statement of fear, good job the ruling class will like that in the future

Nothing to do with that.
He is simply a glorified crook, that's all.
December 21, 2012 2:16:49 AM

Wow, plenty of capitalists posting on the board.... makes me ill.
December 21, 2012 3:10:20 AM

Tv-release.net

December 21, 2012 5:41:00 AM

My question is who is gonna be stupid enough to use this service again. He's still fighting legal battles and a lot of people are already lost their data. Top it off they warned him not to start up again.

Now I don't think anything is wrong with his service per say, but if I knew my data even if legit could easily get taking (they did it once even though warrants were found to be invalid) I wouldn't be able to trust it.
December 21, 2012 5:52:39 AM

You would think he would resolve his current legal battle first. I can't see him trying to make the service for US citizens, if so, then he's asking for trouble.
December 21, 2012 6:26:15 AM

madjimms said:
Wow, plenty of capitalists posting on the board.... makes me ill.
Why? Are you a commi. or something? :p 
December 21, 2012 7:11:33 AM

spentshellsno he already knows what he needs to..NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SUBMIT, PERSEVERE KEEP ROLLING NEVER BACK DOWNthey call him a criminal in USA when that is the farking motto
Did... I just get rickrolled?
December 21, 2012 7:51:22 AM

MadjimmsWow, plenty of capitalists posting on the board.... makes me ill.

I assume you support Dotcom (as do I). You realize this is capitalistic venture, right?

m32You would think he would resolve his current legal battle first. I can't see him trying to make the service for US citizens, if so, then he's asking for trouble.

It's probably a good time as any. The US gov has a lot on its plate. But he needs money as the US will likely keep on pressing. He has popular support in NZ. There's huge controversy in NZ over what is coming to light regarding collaboration with FBI, spying, etc that is turning out to be quite a conspiracy.
December 21, 2012 11:55:13 AM

I want to see a zetabyte
December 21, 2012 4:46:14 PM

Controversy and conspiracy aside, I really don't like this guy, he is making loads of cash of other peoples "art", whether it be music or films. And to boot he is cocky about it. I don't agree with the way the situation has been handled but this guy is a douche.
December 21, 2012 4:47:07 PM

forgot to add games and software to.....
December 22, 2012 12:46:41 PM

jonjonjoni believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that that was encouraging illegal files being uploaded/downloaded through MegaUpload. Such a sentiment seems similar to saying that a guns salesmen is encouraging gun crime IMO. Sure, maybe he actually intended for that, but without reasonably undeniable proof, such accusation seems unfair if made into anything more than suspicions.
December 23, 2012 9:52:13 AM

@blaz
Hey there... :) 
Maybe it could've been something like, "How could he not've know?" or maybe that it should've been his responsibility to know these things (legal matters concerning intellectual property and stuff), just like other businesses do.
I do remember that I hate this guy for a reason... Can't recall totally, but what RADIO_ACTIVE said may be it. Also that he was proud himself about the matter just generally speaking. Do you recall such news? :) 
January 16, 2013 7:48:45 AM

army_ant7 said:
@blaz
Hey there... :) 
Maybe it could've been something like, "How could he not've know?" or maybe that it should've been his responsibility to know these things (legal matters concerning intellectual property and stuff), just like other businesses do.
I do remember that I hate this guy for a reason... Can't recall totally, but what RADIO_ACTIVE said may be it. Also that he was proud himself about the matter just generally speaking. Do you recall such news? :) 

Hey :) 

I recall some accusations against him being not only blatantly false, but proven wrong in court when he looked over the documents against him, so it's difficult for me to take a stance against the guy. He's been pushed around beyond the extents of law regardless of whether or not he did intentionally allow illegal content on Megaupload. Like I've said before, sure, he knew that there was illegal content on Megaupload, but not a single day went by where I looked around and found newly removed illegal content, so it's not like he wasn't active in removing what shouldn't be there.

Whether or not Megaupload did a good enough job of cleaning the illegal material, IDK and whether or not it was merely a front to make it look like illegal content was not allowed, IDK, but it's something. Given what's been done to him and what's been attempted at him, I definitely wouldn't have much respect for the law enforcement in his position either. Of course, that's not really morally correct, but a guy's got his limits with what he'll put up with.

Of course, like I said, it's difficult to pass judgement on him (at least for me) given how little we know to be irrefutably true about the situation. Most of the facts that I can find do not prove him beyond a doubt to be innocent nor do they prove him beyond a doubt to be guilty.
January 20, 2013 4:38:28 AM

@blaz
Well, you do have a point there. I guess I shouldn't really be so judgmental towards him since I myself only read articles and stuff about the matter (which, yeah, could have false info). Maybe the things I find annoying about him are just him acting out because of his annoyance towards those who may have (possibly) falsely accused him. Well, I just hom justice is done here...
!