Sign in with
Your question

Stability testing

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2006 9:08:30 AM

Every hardware website I know does performance testing but I have yet to find a website that does stability and stress testing. I'm sure a lot of THG readers do more than just play games with their computers. There's nothing more frustrating than having your computer hang up when you're in the middle of something.

I've owned two Athlons in the past and they kept on crashing on me so much that I swell never to buy AMD again. So, to this day, I only buy Intel because I've noticed they're more stable.

My point is, it would be nice if THG did stability testing with new CPUs, motherboards, and memory to see what kind of reliability we can expect from them. For me, stability is the most important factor in buying a computer. Performance is only secondary.

More about : stability testing

September 3, 2006 9:11:30 AM

Kind of a harsh way to think about CPU's.

I haven't had problems in stablity with Intel or AMD.
September 3, 2006 9:12:38 AM

Quote:
Every hardware website I know does performance testing but I have yet to find a website that does stability and stress testing. I'm sure a lot of THG readers do more than just play games with their computers. There's nothing more frustrating than having your computer hang up when you're in the middle of something.

I've owned two Athlons in the past and they kept on crashing on me so much that I swell never to buy AMD again. So, to this day, I only buy Intel because I've noticed they're more stable.

My point is, it would be nice if THG did stability testing with new CPUs, motherboards, and memory to see what kind of reliability we can expect from them. For me, stability is the most important factor in buying a computer. Performance is only secondary.

Had severals AMD based computer, one had problems, turned out to be MSI motherboard that didnt want to work, hence i never buy MSI....

To the question at hand. Several sites run stabilty test in from of prime torture test, memtest and so one. I would recomend sites like HardOCP or LostCircuits...
September 3, 2006 12:32:13 PM

Quote:

~99% of the time, instabilities are caused by bad RAM, Defective motherboard, Too low voltages(especially if overclocking)or bad PSU. Defective CPU is very rare. AMD and Intel make very stable and durable CPU's.
!