Windows Explorer... add detail... checkbox?

Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)

Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file detail?

My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.

Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...

Is this possible??

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer detail checkbox

    Maybe just use the archive bit and add the attrib column to the view.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "BullFrog" wrote:
    | Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)
    |
    | Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
    detail?

    | My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
    | which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.
    |
    | Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...
    |
    | Is this possible??
    |
    | Thanks.

    We may be talking apples and oranges...

    I add the attributes detail as you said below... but it is not editable.

    Is there anyway to edit it without having to open the properties of the
    file... I really need to find a way of editing the detail without having to
    open the properties.

    I appreciate your help.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Maybe just use the archive bit and add the attrib column to the view.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "BullFrog" wrote:
    > | Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)
    > |
    > | Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
    > detail?
    > |
    > | My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
    > | which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.
    > |
    > | Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...
    > |
    > | Is this possible??
    > |
    > | Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    There is no native way to do what you want.

    --

    "BullFrog" wrote:
    | We may be talking apples and oranges...
    |
    | I add the attributes detail as you said below... but it is not editable.
    |
    | Is there anyway to edit it without having to open the properties of the
    | file... I really need to find a way of editing the detail without having
    | open the properties.
    |
    | I appreciate your help.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    > Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
    detail?
    > Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...

    There is no way to modified the existing property page to include extra
    controls.

    You can develop a shell extension to add a new property page to the
    properties sheet for files however.

    Then the problem is; where does the state (done, worked, etc.) live?
    Keeping it in another file would be a management nightmare, and you just
    can't modify the existing file without having knowledge of the file format,
    etc.

    Well, NTFS and Windows 2000 includes a feature exactly what you need - no
    programming required. It's known as alternate data streams. When NTFS is
    asked for file by an application, it provides the primary data stream for
    that file, which contains the actual data of the file. What's new is that
    the shell and other applications can put information into an alternate data
    stream that NTFS stores along with the primary data stream.

    In Windows 2000/XP/2003 you can bring up the properties of a file and see a
    Summary property page. This page contains items like Title, Subject,
    Category, Keywords, Comments, Source, Author, and Revision Number.
    Documents that support COM and OLE's IStream and IStorage may provide more
    information. For example, Microsoft Word documents have many more pieces of
    data.

    So, you can put your status into one of the shell provided summary fields
    and go by that. You can then modify the shell folder view to include the
    field in a details view so you can see the status of a number of files
    without having to open the property sheet on each.

    Here is some more info with links:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/bwaldron/archive/2004/05/12/130240.aspx
    ---
    Charles Oppermann

Windows Explorer File System Microsoft Windows