Windows Explorer... add detail... checkbox?

Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)

Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file detail?

My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.

Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...

Is this possible??

Thanks.

Maybe just use the archive bit and add the attrib column to the view.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"BullFrog" wrote:
| Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)
|
| Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
detail?

| My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
| which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.
|
| Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...
|
| Is this possible??
|
| Thanks.

We may be talking apples and oranges...

I add the attributes detail as you said below... but it is not editable.

Is there anyway to edit it without having to open the properties of the
file... I really need to find a way of editing the detail without having to
open the properties.

I appreciate your help.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Maybe just use the archive bit and add the attrib column to the view.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "BullFrog" wrote:
> | Using Windows Explorer (XP-Prof)
> |
> | Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
> detail?
> |
> | My department needs to be able to identify which files we have worked, and
> | which remain un-worked... moving to a different folder is not an option.
> |
> | Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...
> |
> | Is this possible??
> |
> | Thanks.

There is no native way to do what you want.

--

"BullFrog" wrote:
| We may be talking apples and oranges...
|
| I add the attributes detail as you said below... but it is not editable.
|
| Is there anyway to edit it without having to open the properties of the
| file... I really need to find a way of editing the detail without having
| open the properties.
|
| I appreciate your help.

> Is it possible to add a checkbox column to the Windows Explorer file
detail?
> Currently we rename the file to add words like "done" or "worked"...

There is no way to modified the existing property page to include extra
controls.

You can develop a shell extension to add a new property page to the
properties sheet for files however.

Then the problem is; where does the state (done, worked, etc.) live?
Keeping it in another file would be a management nightmare, and you just
can't modify the existing file without having knowledge of the file format,
etc.

Well, NTFS and Windows 2000 includes a feature exactly what you need - no
programming required. It's known as alternate data streams. When NTFS is
asked for file by an application, it provides the primary data stream for
that file, which contains the actual data of the file. What's new is that
the shell and other applications can put information into an alternate data
stream that NTFS stores along with the primary data stream.

In Windows 2000/XP/2003 you can bring up the properties of a file and see a
Summary property page. This page contains items like Title, Subject,
Category, Keywords, Comments, Source, Author, and Revision Number.
Documents that support COM and OLE's IStream and IStorage may provide more
information. For example, Microsoft Word documents have many more pieces of
data.

So, you can put your status into one of the shell provided summary fields
and go by that. You can then modify the shell folder view to include the
field in a details view so you can see the status of a number of files
without having to open the property sheet on each.

Here is some more info with links:
http://blogs.msdn.com/bwaldron/archive/2004/05/12/130240.aspx
---
Charles Oppermann