Updated now media player stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey
I have win7 installed on my wife's computer and she loves it. I just checked for updates the other day and was told I had 3 optional updates, one I can't recall, the other two were for the realtek sound and for the 8800gt (wddm 1.1).

I had problems immediately with the sound, and I lost a point on the windows experience for the video card (went from 5.9 to 5.8 for gaming graphics) I also found that windows media player stopped working.

Well, I uninstalled the new drivers from micro$oft and reinstalled the drivers for video and sound and media player is still broken. Every time the troubleshooter starts up it starts to analyze the problem and after a few seconds the troubleshooter shuts down, only saying that "the media player shut down due to a problem" and no further information as to what the problem might be.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Advice for how to proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife needs to watch some videos for school and media player shuts down seconds after starting.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
had exactly the same problem. something in the update went beyond the need for a simple driver update. Media player crashes after a few seconds and locks up the pc. Not found the root cause of the problem yet, but thought you might like to know that you're not alone!

Yes, I had thought I fixed the thing by reloading the original drivers and fixing a seemingly unrelated issue, something about running the console as administrator but my wife tells me that her pc still won't run media player.

I am beginning to wonder if the software for her mp3 player may be at fault now.

Anyway I am hoping the RC will fix this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS