Closed

Updated now media player stopped working

Hey
I have win7 installed on my wife's computer and she loves it. I just checked for updates the other day and was told I had 3 optional updates, one I can't recall, the other two were for the realtek sound and for the 8800gt (wddm 1.1).

I had problems immediately with the sound, and I lost a point on the windows experience for the video card (went from 5.9 to 5.8 for gaming graphics) I also found that windows media player stopped working.

Well, I uninstalled the new drivers from micro$oft and reinstalled the drivers for video and sound and media player is still broken. Every time the troubleshooter starts up it starts to analyze the problem and after a few seconds the troubleshooter shuts down, only saying that "the media player shut down due to a problem" and no further information as to what the problem might be.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Advice for how to proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife needs to watch some videos for school and media player shuts down seconds after starting.
2 answers Last reply
More about updated media player stopped working
  1. had exactly the same problem. something in the update went beyond the need for a simple driver update. Media player crashes after a few seconds and locks up the pc. Not found the root cause of the problem yet, but thought you might like to know that you're not alone!
  2. Fruity said:
    had exactly the same problem. something in the update went beyond the need for a simple driver update. Media player crashes after a few seconds and locks up the pc. Not found the root cause of the problem yet, but thought you might like to know that you're not alone!

Yes, I had thought I fixed the thing by reloading the original drivers and fixing a seemingly unrelated issue, something about running the console as administrator but my wife tells me that her pc still won't run media player.

I am beginning to wonder if the software for her mp3 player may be at fault now.

Anyway I am hoping the RC will fix this issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Media Player Windows 7