Burning to DVD Query

November 3, 2004 8:29:03 AM

I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD drive.
I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record Now" to
burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and use
again
The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups

Blair Malcolm

More about : burning dvd query

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:48:43 AM

Hi Blair,

> What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?

Whichever your burner supports. I find it unusual that it supports -RW, but
not -R.

> If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?

No, that's a one-write disk. If you use the rewrite media (+/- RW) and
appropriate software, yes.

> Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
> use again?

I like one-writes, but that is not to say they are the best. Nothing wrong
with re-using a disk.

> The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?

Yes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD drive.
> I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
> I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record Now"
> burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
> If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
> Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
> use
> again
> The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
> I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
>
> Blair Malcolm

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:10:23 AM

What is the make and model for your DVD Writer? I do not recall ever seeing
a DVD writer that does not burn to -R if it writes to -RW. There are many
drives that are exclusively +R and +R/W or -R and -R/W but dual format
burners don't exclude one media as far as I know.

Yes Acronis True Image will write incrementally to +R or -R
You may wish to use rewriteable DVDs.
Yes the max size for a DVD is 4.7 GB unless your drive is a dual layer drive
as you can read about here http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD drive.
> I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
> I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record Now"
> burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
> If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
> Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
> use
> again
> The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
> I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
>
> Blair Malcolm

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:56:48 PM

A hint for you, write the file in CD size (700) chunks to the HD. Then burn to the DVD. 6 chunks fit quite nicely. I also use Acronis TI & Sonic software also. So far I have been unable to write directly to DVD from TI.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:%23MrrMYWwEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
|I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD drive.
| I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
| I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record Now" to
| burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
| If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
| Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and use
| again
| The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
| I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
|
| Blair Malcolm

November 4, 2004 9:14:25 AM

The DVD writer is built into the Dell PC I have. For the life of me I can't
remember where I saw this restriction. I have contacted Dell and Sonic to
check if they support all.
So far as a new boy I have used ATI to backup my system and data to my HD
and also copied them to the HD on my other PC but I was led to believe that
I should then use my burning software to make a backup on DVD disk
Do you use ATI to backup to DVD disk?
Also I am confused about the Incremental Backup system. I have asked ATI
help but although they gave me information I still do not have a proper
understanding.
What appears to happen is that the Incremental backup seems to add the
original backup again to the Incremental Backup thus increasing the total
size?
Any ideas?
Blair

> What is the make and model for your DVD Writer? I do not recall ever
seeing
> a DVD writer that does not burn to -R if it writes to -RW. There are many
> drives that are exclusively +R and +R/W or -R and -R/W but dual format
> burners don't exclude one media as far as I know.
>
> Yes Acronis True Image will write incrementally to +R or -R
> You may wish to use rewriteable DVDs.
> Yes the max size for a DVD is 4.7 GB unless your drive is a dual layer
drive
> as you can read about here http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> >I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD
drive.
> > I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
> > I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record
Now"
> > burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
> > If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
> > Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
> > use
> > again
> > The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
> > I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
> >
> > Blair Malcolm

November 7, 2004 7:58:32 AM

Thanks for your help
DO you use DVD+R or DVD-R ?
At present I am using CDs for backup and have chunks of 650MB but thought
that I could use DVD to reduce the number of disks.
Acronis have also informed me that I will not get 4.7GB but a maximum of
1.9GB for technical reasons from DVDs
Blair
"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
A hint for you, write the file in CD size (700) chunks to the HD. Then burn
to the DVD. 6 chunks fit quite nicely. I also use Acronis TI & Sonic
software also. So far I have been unable to write directly to DVD from TI.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
|I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD drive.
| I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
| I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record Now"
| burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
| If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
| Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
use
| again
| The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
| I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
|
| Blair Malcolm

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 7:58:33 AM

Both BackUpMyPC (Stomp) and Retrospect 6.5 (Dantz) write to DVD rewriters
and can do incremental backups. If you use an RW disk, then they will both
append until the disk is nearly full.

> Thanks for your help
> DO you use DVD+R or DVD-R ?
> At present I am using CDs for backup and have chunks of 650MB but thought
> that I could use DVD to reduce the number of disks.
> Acronis have also informed me that I will not get 4.7GB but a maximum of
> 1.9GB for technical reasons from DVDs
> Blair
> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> A hint for you, write the file in CD size (700) chunks to the HD. Then
> burn
> to the DVD. 6 chunks fit quite nicely. I also use Acronis TI & Sonic
> software also. So far I have been unable to write directly to DVD from
> TI.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> |I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD
> drive.
> | I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
> | I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record
> Now"
> | burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
> | If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
> | Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
> use
> | again
> | The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
> | I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
> |
> | Blair Malcolm

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:04:11 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Both BackUpMyPC (Stomp) and Retrospect 6.5 (Dantz) write to DVD rewriters
> and can do incremental backups. If you use an RW disk, then they will both
> append until the disk is nearly full.
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for your help
>>DO you use DVD+R or DVD-R ?
>>At present I am using CDs for backup and have chunks of 650MB but thought
>>that I could use DVD to reduce the number of disks.
>>Acronis have also informed me that I will not get 4.7GB but a maximum of
>>1.9GB for technical reasons from DVDs
>>Blair
>>"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
>>A hint for you, write the file in CD size (700) chunks to the HD. Then
>>burn
>>to the DVD. 6 chunks fit quite nicely. I also use Acronis TI & Sonic
>>software also. So far I have been unable to write directly to DVD from
>>TI.
>>
>>--
>>Just my 2¢ worth,
>> Jeff
>>"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>|I have in the past used CD-R as the backup media and now have a DVD
>>drive.
>>| I understand that this will support +R, +RW and -RW but not -R
>>| I am using Acronis True Image to back up my system and Sonic "Record
>>Now"
>>| burn the DVDs. What I want to know is what type of DVD should I use?
>>| If I use the DVD+R can I add the incremental Backups to it?
>>| Or would it be more economic to use DVD+RW so that they can be wiped and
>>use
>>| again
>>| The maximum size appears to be 4.7GB. Is that correct?
>>| I am really looking for advice from people who have used DVD for backups
>>|
>>| Blair Malcolm

No, they'll both append until the disk *is* full, because "full" is
defined by the amount of data that can be written to the disk.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:38:25 PM

I use DVD+. Write to the HDD 1st, then write to the DVD from the HDD. You can put 6 700MB (or 6 650MB) files on a DVD.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
!