Hiper vs Tagan

Darken_

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I'm setting up my new rig and wonder witch PSU you guys would surgest.
I'm currenly considering Tagan TG580-U15 (EASYCON) and Hiper Type R HPU-4B580
My conserns are more of silence and power than cash and my setup goes like this:

Chassis: Lian Li PC-6070B PLUS II
Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum
CPU: Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Susurro
Ram: OCZ Enhanced Latency 2 x 512 MB
DVDburner: NEC ND 3551
Graphic Card: Gigabyte GV NX76T256D-RH
HDD: 2x Hitachi DeskStar T7K250 250 GB

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Yeah, it is a nice plastic box. Unfortunatley you probably paid 10 extra bucks for it hah. Defenatly go with the Hiper though, good buy.

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I'm all set with my Hiper (same make BTW) and I'm very pleased. Can't hear the PSU fans, just the 7900GT cooler fan is audible, and that can't be heard over music or the TV. The cables are sweet, and it was a breeze to install. Nice case, I'm using it as a PC-toolbox and as a place to keep the spare X600 for now.

I upgraded my Dell Dimension 5150 with the Hiper and the 7900GT until I'm ready to do my Conroe build after I decide on a mobo. Once I'm ready I get to have fun with the Dell PSU again to rebuild the machine as it was for TheWife(tm) to use.

allred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I have a Tagan and I'm afraid it's quite noisy. It's the loudest thing in my PC, but it has enough connectors for an army. Go for the Hiper, British designed don't you know.

Gryfalcon

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004
I have read qute a bit about both, was plainning on getting the hipper myself. Only problem is they do not have a p8 connector and on certain cases you might have to get an extension for the main p4 and ATX cable due to the fact it wont reach <IE ANTEC P180> also with the p180 its takes up more room then some powersupplies. But its a good ps. if these minor problems dont concern you get the hipper.

Darken_

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I'm aware that the Hyper don't support the P180 and other cases that have the PSU placed at the bottom, but as I already placed my order for my (first) Lian Li I don't run in to that problem.
And the motherboard I'm planning on buying is the MSI Kn9 platinum, which don't need the 8-pin connecter (only some Intel boards I think), that's another problem out of the way.

To be honest, my first choice was the Tagan, but I read some reviews that pointed out that it wasn't as quiet as I thought (16dB) but the Hiper was (18dB). Maybe the specs on the Tagan are wrong?