apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I recently built a new computer. After completion, I realized that I had no parallel port in which to hook up my still functioning laser printer.
I re-read the motherboard manual. There is a connection for a parallel cable. The directions states that the cable is not included. The directions further say that after securing the cable to the connector on the board, the parallel port must be secured to an opening in back of the case. I see no such opening where I can secure the port. Advice would be appreciated.

Asus M2N-E motherboard
Lian LI Case

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i think when the manual reffers to an opening in the back of the case they mean a blanking plate you could remove. the same which would usually cover an unused PCI/AGP/ISA port. u know the thing im talking about.

is there no other way to connect the printer???

like this
USB to parallel port. only $6ish.

save ur self the headache.

KOzOK

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
It looks like that board does not have parallel port. Get yourself a PCI card like this one here.
It's only few $$. Hope this helps.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
If you are going to get the connector that probably plugs into the port on the MB and supplies a parallel port to the outside of the box, then it will either use a regular expansion slot, or, you may be able to use a 25 pin d-sub connector punch out that may be on the case. If it has one, punch it out, and mount the connector in it. If it does not have one, put the connector in an expansion slot. Another alternative is to hang the connector out the back of the machine un-mounted, but that would be the last resort.

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The IO grill in the back of the computer has no cutout for the parallel port. According to the manual (I did not open the case and check) motherboard has a connector in which to plug in the parallel cable. If Asus put a parallel connector on their board, why did they not provide a cutout on their grill?
I was thinking of taking a small drill bit, and cuting the outline of the necessary parellel port. I don't know if there is room for it however.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This is very common with serial and parallel ports, the mb manufacturer sends a regular expansion card slot cover with the port already attached and you just plug it in. I have probably 20 or each just laying around. Asus will sell you one for way more than it's worth I'm sure. Go to a local computer shop and ask, they may have one you can buy for a few bucks.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
No, not the grill thing. I meant, on some cases [typically older] there was a punchout in the metal of the case that you could knock out and mount a connector. Granted, that was old AT style cases, so probably wouldn't be the situation here.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The cut out for the ATX case would be right in the middle of all the other connectors so there would be no place to mount the D25 connector.

If you want to mount the connector to the case I think the simplest would be to get a blanking plate with the D25 connector and any cable needed. You may be able to get these from some computer fairs (I'm UK based), some shops, or maybe online.

As a previous post mentioned it would much easier to get a USB to parallel port adapter. This would be cheap and easy.

Just my 2p worth

Rob. Murphy

TRENDING THREADS