Shadowfox

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Hello. 'Been planning to build a new custom-made PC lately. After checking the internet for infos and given a specific budget in mind, I've decided on an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ - based platform with mid-range specs. The following are the components I had in mind:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor (Socket 939)
Asus A8N-SLI SE Motherboard
Kingston 2 x 512MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory
Seagate 120GB SATA 7200rpm HDD
Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB/128-bit DDR3 GPU (PCI-E)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum soundcard
500-Watts / 12V PSU
Thermaltake TR2 M6 (K8) CPU Cooler Fan

I'll be using a Mid-Tower ATX Form Factor CPU chassis. Should I decide to add a second GeForce 7300GT GPU in the near future to take advantage of the ASUS motherboard's SLI capability, will there be enough room for the new GPU? I'll be installing a Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard on the PCI slot and I'm concerned there won't be enough clearance/space between the available slots to fit the new GPU in.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hello. 'Been planning to build a new custom-made PC lately. After checking the internet for infos and given a specific budget in mind, I've decided on an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ - based platform with mid-range specs. The following are the components I had in mind:

500-Watts / 12V PSU

I'll be using a Mid-Tower ATX Form Factor CPU chassis. Should I decide to add a second GeForce 7300GT GPU in the near future to take advantage of the ASUS motherboard's SLI capability, will there be enough room for the new GPU? I'll be installing a Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard on the PCI slot and I'm concerned there won't be enough clearance/space between the available slots to fit the new GPU in.

Few more broad suggestions.

First of all: NEVER SLI with anything less than 7900GT. SLIing anything less is a complete and total waste of money. It won't help you much, and it just adds to the heat and power output on your system. Plus, you end up spending more money than a single higher-end card that will spank your setup.

Second, consider AM2 for future upgradeability. S939 is still a viable option, but its a deadend.

The motherboard you picked is horrible. Asus usually makes nice boards, but the A8N-SLI series (normal and Deluxe) were exceptions. Drop to the A8V. Or go to AM2 and use the M2N-E.

There is no reason to get an SLI board for your uses.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

500-Watts / 12V PSU

Few more broad suggestions.

First of all: NEVER SLI with anything less than 7900GT. SLIing anything less is a complete and total waste of money. It won't help you much, and it just adds to the heat and power output on your system. Plus, you end up spending more money than a single higher-end card that will spank your setup.

Second, consider AM2 for future upgradeability. S939 is still a viable option, but its a deadend.

The motherboard you picked is horrible. Asus usually makes nice boards, but the A8N-SLI series (normal and Deluxe) were exceptions. Drop to the A8V. Or go to AM2 and use the M2N-E.

There is no reason to get an SLI board for your uses.

Dual 7300GTs is by far the worse SLi compatiblity ever. No, i take that back. 7300GS's are. I agree with shadowduck once again. I have the Asus A8n-SLi normal board with a x2 4800 oc'ed 2.6 and its working fine. To save cash, just go with a 7600GT and save the money. Now with the sound card, unless you like the front 5.25 bay panel, then theres no difference between that and the xtrememusic sound card.

Shadowfox

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Okay, thanks for the feedbacks... Here's a follow-up question. Somebody probably asked this question before but I haven't tried any of the ATI GPUs yet, all my past rigs had Nvidia-based GPUs. Will an ATI SLI-ready GPU work on an Nvidia-based motherboard such as the Asus A8N-SLI, or its AM2 socket equivalent? I heard ATI GPUs are good. Didn't bother getting one in the past though because the prices back then were a bit prohibitive for me. I guess today it's a different story. Thanks again!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Will an ATI SLI-ready GPU work on an Nvidia-based motherboard such as the Asus A8N-SLI, or its AM2 socket equivalent?

First of all, ATI's dual-GPU solution is called Crossfire.

An ATI GPU WILL work on a motherboard with an nVidia chipset. It's even possible to do Crossfire on an SLI motherboard, but it takes a lot of modding.

However, that 7300GT that you've selected is an amazing card. Mid-range performance for a low-end price. BTW, isn't the GDDR3 version only sold in the UK and Asia?

EDIT: w00t! Newegg has a GDDR3 7300GT! Leadtek PX7300GT