Layer-2 transparant ethernet encryption device

mark

I've searched the Internet over and over but cannot come up with a
product that provides a sollution to our problem. I hope that somebody
active in this group can help me.

My situation is that I have 1 logical datacentre which physically is
divided into two separated locations. The (ethernet) LAN's in each
location are connected to eachother by multiple 100Mb lan2lan ethernet
circuits of a third-party telecom provider.

Over these circuits we run a 802.1q vlan trunk.
(Actually datacentre 1 is implemented using 2 Nortel P8600 switches
connected by an IST trunk. Datacentre 2 is implemented using 1 Nortel
P8600 switch and is connected using SMLT over the provider circuits to
the P8600's in datacentre 1)

Basically what I'm looking for is a layer-2 transparant device which
does encryption/decryption of all traffic send over my provider
circuits.

All products I've found so far are either IP/layer-3 based or are
"old-school devices" which have maximum througput's of <10Mb's :-(

Please note that complete layer-2 transparancy is vital here as I run
a SMLT / 802.1q trunk over the provider circuit.

Mark.

mark wrote:

(snip)

> Basically what I'm looking for is a layer-2 transparant device which
> does encryption/decryption of all traffic send over my provider
> circuits.

> All products I've found so far are either IP/layer-3 based or are
> "old-school devices" which have maximum througput's of <10Mb's :-(

> Please note that complete layer-2 transparancy is vital here as I run
> a SMLT / 802.1q trunk over the provider circuit.

I believe there was discussion about such a device, but I
don't know that one ever existed.

You might find a layer 2 to layer 3 converter, that is, a
tunnel device, that you could then connect through a layer 3
VPN system. That is as close as I can think of doing it.

-- glen

You might try the safenet products from Information Resource Engineering.

http:// www. safenet-inc. com

Scott

mark wrote:
> I've searched the Internet over and over but cannot come up with a
> product that provides a sollution to our problem. I hope that somebody
> active in this group can help me.
>
> My situation is that I have 1 logical datacentre which physically is
> divided into two separated locations. The (ethernet) LAN's in each
> location are connected to eachother by multiple 100Mb lan2lan ethernet
> circuits of a third-party telecom provider.
>
> Over these circuits we run a 802.1q vlan trunk.
> (Actually datacentre 1 is implemented using 2 Nortel P8600 switches
> connected by an IST trunk. Datacentre 2 is implemented using 1 Nortel
> P8600 switch and is connected using SMLT over the provider circuits to
> the P8600's in datacentre 1)
>
> Basically what I'm looking for is a layer-2 transparant device which
> does encryption/decryption of all traffic send over my provider
> circuits.
>
> All products I've found so far are either IP/layer-3 based or are
> "old-school devices" which have maximum througput's of <10Mb's :-(
>
> Please note that complete layer-2 transparancy is vital here as I run
> a SMLT / 802.1q trunk over the provider circuit.
>
> Mark.

TRENDING THREADS