conroe core 2 duo question

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Hello,
Im looking to upgrade to conroe core 2 duo
I want an asus board and i want the best one available i am looking at the p5b deluxe and the p5wdh deluxe. Which one would you choose?I only care about rock solid performance and good everclocking potential for gaming entertainment i prolly wont use half the features but get the deluxe versions just so i have everything i need.

The second question is the memory i would prefer to move up to 2 gigs this time. I want the memory that gives the best gaming scores i like corsair and ocz and i prefer corsair i also would like to have only 2 -4 sticks of memory meaning if i do get 2 gigs of mem i dont want it to be in 512 sticks. I would appreciate some help in choosing the right memory again i would like corsair memory.

I also am wondering if i would need to upgrade my ps currently i have a antec 550 true. I am not sure what power supply to get either if i need one usually i buy whatever gets the best review online.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
About the motherboard, both are awesome overclockers. Pretty much their only difference is the chipset they use. Either one is fine for OCing. As for my future Conroe build, I'm going for the P5B Deluxe. It's cheaper and it's just as good as the P5WDH Deluxe.

Take a look at this RAM kit. That's what I'm getting, cheap and reliable.

As for your Antec 550, it will be fine ^^ Don't worry. :D

microgiant

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Antec are good PSUs at a good price. but after my 500 sp2.0 just fried my motherboard I have second thoughts about buying them again. I guess any PSU could possibly do that tho :roll:

BarryJohn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
honestly i would wait about a week for your mobo mate.
nforce 590 chipsets are comming out very soon.

my suggestion would be the P5N32 SLI premium (nf 590)
2 friends of mine bought a P5W DH and both had to flash their bios using an older CPU b4 their C2D would work on it.

with the RAM corsair is very good. the quality you get is really limited by ur budget. My advice would be 6400 series. 800mhz sticks will run very well with conroe. The timings ive been told arnt that important on intel chips, apprantly theres little-no benefit for conroe chips due to their infrastructure. also every 2gig kit ive seen is always 2 1 gig sticks.

PSU should be fine.
i was going to get a antect truepower 2.0 550 however i've decided to go silverstone 650 cause its SLI ready + a lil extra power will be nice in the future if i decide to get a physics card or extra ram etc etc.