Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Right click on a folder...properties...nothing happens!!

Tags:
  • Windows Explorer
  • File System
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 4:04:02 PM

Please help, I right click on a folder ,in windows explorer, and choose
properties...nothing happens? Is it any fixes for this ? or do I have to do
I have to reinstall the system?

/MattiasG

More about : click folder properties

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 7:42:19 AM

Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
there knows a solution, or they're not telling us
John

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 2:13:04 PM

Are you by any chance using Zone Alarm? If so see here:

Tip #437: Folder Properties Work-around when using ZoneAlarm
http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip437.htm

John

JohnB wrote:

> Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
> there knows a solution, or they're not telling us
> John

November 30, 2004 7:17:45 PM

JohnB wrote:
> Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
> there knows a solution, or they're not telling us

There are many possible problems leading to that, here's a possible
solution found through google groups:-

The "SYSTEM" account may not have full access privileges to everything
on the
drive. You may have to use cacls from a command prompt to mend it. Read
the help
for cacls very, very carefully. Take particular note that you should use
the /E
switch. You can /really/ mess up with cacls.
Your computer may have a different problem, but the above fixed mine.

Another potential problem is third-party context-menu items.

Andrew
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 7:40:01 AM

MattiasG wrote:
> *Please help, I right click on a folder ,in windows explorer, and
> choose
> properties...nothing happens? Is it any fixes for this ? or do I have
> to do
> I have to reinstall the system?
>
> /MattiasG *

I've encountered this bizarre inaction a few times. After hours spent
trawling around fruitlessly, it seems to be related to ZoneAlarm (or
poss other FW) and IIS. The problem went away when I did RESETIIS in a
dos box. Someone has speculated that the properties command is doing an
RPC call to IIS which is being blocked by ZoneAlarm. All very obvious
really (not)...

--
jastewart