Right click on a folder...properties...nothing happens!!

Please help, I right click on a folder ,in windows explorer, and choose
properties...nothing happens? Is it any fixes for this ? or do I have to do
I have to reinstall the system?

/MattiasG
4 answers Last reply
More about right click folder properties nothing happens

    Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
    there knows a solution, or they're not telling us
    John

    Are you by any chance using Zone Alarm? If so see here:

    Tip #437: Folder Properties Work-around when using ZoneAlarm
    http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip437.htm

    John

    JohnB wrote:

    > Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
    > there knows a solution, or they're not telling us
    > John

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    JohnB wrote:
    > Looks like you and I have the same problem, but nobody out
    > there knows a solution, or they're not telling us

    There are many possible problems leading to that, here's a possible
    solution found through google groups:-

    The "SYSTEM" account may not have full access privileges to everything
    on the
    drive. You may have to use cacls from a command prompt to mend it. Read
    the help
    for cacls very, very carefully. Take particular note that you should use
    the /E
    switch. You can /really/ mess up with cacls.
    Your computer may have a different problem, but the above fixed mine.

    Another potential problem is third-party context-menu items.

    Andrew
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    MattiasG wrote:
    > *Please help, I right click on a folder ,in windows explorer, and
    > choose
    > properties...nothing happens? Is it any fixes for this ? or do I have
    > to do
    > I have to reinstall the system?
    >
    > /MattiasG *

    I've encountered this bizarre inaction a few times. After hours spent
    trawling around fruitlessly, it seems to be related to ZoneAlarm (or
    poss other FW) and IIS. The problem went away when I did RESETIIS in a
    dos box. Someone has speculated that the properties command is doing an
    RPC call to IIS which is being blocked by ZoneAlarm. All very obvious
    really (not)...

    --
    jastewart

Windows Explorer File System Microsoft Windows