Mount HD from different PC without Login

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 15, 2004 8:07:57 PM

Hi,
I want to mount several directories on a HD of computer A to computer B. It
is a workgroup environment, no Domain, and I don't want to have seperate
logins for computer A and B.

How can I mount drives without logging into the machine, so I can access

\\ComputerA\DirOnComputerB

?

Cheers,
Thorsten

More about : mount login

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:40:59 PM

Not sure what you're after here but maybe enable the guest account and apply
permissions accordingly.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Thorsten Claus" wrote:
| Hi,
| I want to mount several directories on a HD of computer A to computer B.
It
| is a workgroup environment, no Domain, and I don't want to have seperate
| logins for computer A and B.
|
| How can I mount drives without logging into the machine, so I can access
|
| \\ComputerA\DirOnComputerB
|
| ?
|
| Cheers,
| Thorsten

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:49:06 PM

I actually wanted to put some older files on the external HD, as the space
gets tight and I cannot replace the five 70GB HDs running in Raid5 without
some expenses. So I thought about getting an external ATA HD with USB2.0.
Unfortunately, the server does not have USB.

As in a workgroup environment users would have to logon on each 'server'
(PC) seperately in order to avoid making the folders readable to all (as I
still need to restrict access), I want to mount the HD in a transparent
manner, so users can access the original data while the HD is actually ona a
different computer, without entering their passwords again (and remembering
another password!)

Cheers,

Thorsten

To make it easier

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Not sure what you're after here but maybe enable the guest account and
> apply
> permissions accordingly.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Thorsten Claus" wrote:
> | Hi,
> | I want to mount several directories on a HD of computer A to computer B.
> It
> | is a workgroup environment, no Domain, and I don't want to have seperate
> | logins for computer A and B.
> |
> | How can I mount drives without logging into the machine, so I can access
> |
> | \\ComputerA\DirOnComputerB
> |
> | ?
> |
> | Cheers,
> | Thorsten

November 15, 2004 10:57:26 PM

Interesting idea but I don't think it would be possible. I think the
removable storage must be local.

--

"Thorsten Claus" wrote:
|I actually wanted to put some older files on the external HD, as the space
| gets tight and I cannot replace the five 70GB HDs running in Raid5 without
| some expenses. So I thought about getting an external ATA HD with USB2.0.
| Unfortunately, the server does not have USB.
|
| As in a workgroup environment users would have to logon on each 'server'
| (PC) seperately in order to avoid making the folders readable to all (as I
| still need to restrict access), I want to mount the HD in a transparent
| manner, so users can access the original data while the HD is actually ona
| different computer, without entering their passwords again (and
remembering
| another password!)
|
| Cheers,
|
| Thorsten
|
| To make it easier
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:38:16 PM

"Thorsten Claus" <tc@thinkstorm.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I want to mount several directories on a HD of computer A to computer B.
It
> is a workgroup environment, no Domain, and I don't want to have seperate
> logins for computer A and B.
>
> How can I mount drives without logging into the machine, so I can access
>
> \\ComputerA\DirOnComputerB

There may be another way to do this that escapes me at the moment, but I
know that you can do this if you create accounts on the server(s) that match
the accounts on the workstations, including the passwords. I know, you said
you don't want to do that, but once it's setup, it's transparent.

I've never tried this, but you could try mounting the extra disk as a folder
on your primary storage. Your RAID volume would need to have NTFS on it to
make it work, and I'm not sure if you can mount a remote drive that way. If
you can hook up an ordinary disk (as long as you have an extra SCSI ID or an
empty ATA port, you can do this), it's trivial.

If you can get it attached and mounted, it will appear as:

\\ComputerA\RegularShare\MountDir

Phil
--
Philip D. Barila Windows DDK MVP