Need to build a solid gaming PC on a budget. Please help.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Okay I read an issue of CGW that showed how to build a good $700 gaming PC using AMD Athlon 3000+. It said that this PC could run games like World of Warcraft, and Battlefield 2 surprisingly fast when stacked up against the competition.

However, my dad and I are being pretty slow to getting the parts, we're getting 1 like every 2-3 weeks :p. I'm just worried that by the time we finish the computer, it's going to be far behind again.

Now I'm not a serious computer gamer, I just want a PC that can run WoW at top settings, and perhaps some online shooters and stuff. Can someone suggest what I should do?

Oh, and lets say that the max budget should be $1000. But I WOULD like to stick in that 700 range :/.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
what socket CPU???
939 or a AM2 or a 745??
do u own the CPU alread and do u have a screen???

here a setup assuming you have nothing appart from screen and keyboard and the lot...

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ120AB2 - OEM
Model #: DWQ120AB2
$29.59

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail
$89.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$53.99

MSI K9N Neo-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$76.99

SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (RoHS) Video Card - Retail
$199.99

A-DATA Vitesta 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model ELJPE1908K - Retail
$84.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core $152.00

Subtotal: $687.54

no vat on it.

all prices from new egg. will run most things you throw at it in full detail at 1240 x 1024.

dual core aswell... tada.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
With a budget like this it helps to salvage whatever you can from an old machine. The monitor, mouse, and keyboard are "timeless" components that can be used for years but do not change dramatically in design or performance and therefore do not need to be periodically updated.

I'm far too lazy to hammer out a discrete parts list for you :wink: , but here are some models to consider:

CPU: Intel E6300 ~$200

Video Card: ATi X1900GT, Nvidia 7600GT ~$200

Motherboard: ECS P965T-A ~$80

Memory: Corsair ValueSelect 1GB ~$100

Case: Antec, Lian Li, Thermaltake etc. w/ 400-600 Watt PSU
Maybe Antec Sonata II w/ 450 Watt PSU ~$75

Optical Drive: CD/DVD drive (Plextor, Sony etc.) ~$20-$40 (a burner is up to you, not essential)

Hard Drive: (Maxtor, Seagate, WD) >150GB ~$50-$100

Monitor: Budget LCD/CRT 15-19in. <$200

Mouse/Keyboard: (Cheapos approach <$20)

Wow, that nearly IS a discrete parts list! The Core 2 Duo (E6300) is almost certainly the most futureproof and best performing sub-$200 CPU. But I'll admit this setup approaches and possibly surpasses $1,000 in higher components, but $700 is a tight squeeze indeed for a gaming machine assuming you need a monitor. But do your homework! Newegg reviews and Tom's hardware performance charts are a good place to look, as well as any other tech site's benchmarks. Finally, others may recommend other equipment here as well. Listen to them.

Oh, and try to buy as many of your components at the same time as possible. This way, components won't sit in your house while you wait for everything else. A component may have a defect but you wouldn't know it for a while. By then you might be past the warranty deadline. Pick all of your parts, save all the necessary cash, and buy it all at once.

All in all, I've heard that WoW is not too taxing on a system, but Battlefield 2 might give you problems unless you tone it down to lower resolutions. Good luck!

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Well I can use the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers I'm using now, and my dad already got the case without the power supply which we'll get later.

Also, what do you suggest is better socket 939? or AM2? I heard that 939 allowed for better expandability, but then again I could be wrong :/. My goal is really to get the most affordable decent gaming PC that can play games great with a 700 - 1000 budget.

Also, I hear the core 2 duo is the way to go if you're planning on building a gaming PC now. So I would like to look into builds that use that :<. Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
what socket CPU???
939 or a AM2 or a 745??
do u own the CPU alread and do u have a screen???

here a setup assuming you have nothing appart from screen and keyboard and the lot...

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ120AB2 - OEM
Model #: DWQ120AB2
$29.59

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail
$89.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$53.99

MSI K9N Neo-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$76.99

SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (RoHS) Video Card - Retail
$199.99

A-DATA Vitesta 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model ELJPE1908K - Retail
$84.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core $152.00

Subtotal: $687.54

no vat on it.

all prices from new egg. will run most things you throw at it in full detail at 1240 x 1024.

dual core aswell... tada.

the x1900gt is worse than the x1800xt.. i say he should go for the x1800xt

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Core 2 is the way to go for gaming rigs now, that's why I suggested one.

hmm i dunno.. intel kinda sucks.. u NEED to spend $100 or more on a mobo (for conroe) and those mobos arent even all that great, and then the cheapest one is almost $200 (E6300), i say the x2 3800 with either an asus a5n8x.. sometin like that (for s939) or an abit nforce 550 for am2, that saves you like $60.. and i say its worth getting an x1800xt or better over a 7600gt, and then not to mention that u can overclock.. sure u can overclock an E6300, but it overclocks better on expensive mobos, and AMD's will overclock great on cheap mobos, but then he says he doesnt need a great gaming pc, and so in that case the 7600gt is fine, i just believe either he gets an X2 or spends more and get the E6300 and x1800xt, and FOR EVERYBODY PUTTING IN THAT HE SHOULD GET AN X1900GT.. UR STUPID, RIGHT HERE TOMS SHOWS THAT THE X1800XT is BETTER THAN THE X1900GT!!!!!!!!!!!

Intel kinda sucks do they? Where have you been the last 6 months? Many of the Core 2's can beat an FX-62 (some need overclocking, but it can be done) in every category except for one where the integrated memory controller gave the FX-62 a comfortable lead according to Tom's own benchmarks. Granted, a Core 2 system overall does cost more than almost any AMD system, but I would GLADLY pay a bit extra for boatloads of additional performance.

I completely agree with your point about the video card though. He should go for the X1800XT over the X1900GT if he ever decides to get into high end gaming. If not, a 7600GT would be fine.

Edit: Overclocks of up to 535Mhz on the FSB were achieved using the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3..... a board currently going for $150 on Newegg. See this article for details. 535Mhz needed a pencil mod to be achieved, but without the mod, the system was stable at 471Mhz FSB (2.82Ghz). Therefore, you do not need an expensive motherboard to get good overclocks.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006

I wanna get everyone's opinions on this setup. Oh, also I would like a soundcard too, but not an expensive one since you don't necessarily need it. This build actually sounds good but I'm also looking at things like expandability, is it easy to upgrade later on and stuff like that. :<

Oh, and I hear the motherboard is good for overclocking, but I don't really understand the whole overclocking concept. But that's okay I can just look it up, I don't want to pester people with questions that I can probably just find on the site.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Core 2 is the way to go for gaming rigs now, that's why I suggested one.

hmm i dunno.. intel kinda sucks.. u NEED to spend $100 or more on a mobo (for conroe) and those mobos arent even all that great, and then the cheapest one is almost $200 (E6300), [/b]

You expect Intel to make a good product for free or something? Core 2 Duo is certainly the way to go if you've got the money.

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Intel kinda sucks do they? Where have you been the last 6 months? Many of the Core 2's can beat an FX-62

Edit: Overclocks of up to 535Mhz on the FSB were achieved using the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3..... a board currently going for $150 on Newegg. See this article for details. 535Mhz needed a pencil mod to be achieved, but without the mod, the system was stable at 471Mhz FSB (2.82Ghz). Therefore, you do not need an expensive motherboard to get good overclocks.

i know that Core 2 is better, when i said that intel sucked i ment in the areas of price, heck id love an E6300.. but i aint got the money and i am maybe gonna upgrade, but im just gonna get en x2 3800, $90 on a great mobo and $152 on the cpu, and then.. im not confortable with actually having to fisicaly do something to whatever to overclock.. i mean, im not about to use the pencil mod (heard about it, but a long time ago so i kinda forgot what it was) on a $193 cpu.. sure, the E6300 is better than even an x2 4200.. but its more and u need to spend more to overclock, while with amd my bro has a some crappy SIS mobo i think and a s754 3000+ clawhammer, and he has it running at 2.4ghz no problem.. he says he can pull it up to 2.5ghz if he had gottten better ram (kingston valueselect is what hes got).. and he just oced a friends pc thats a venice 3000+ to 2.4ghz running stable on stock HSF.. its just a matter of cost.. if i had the money to get a $193 cpu and a $150-200 mobo i wouldnt hesitate

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Intel kinda sucks do they? Where have you been the last 6 months? Many of the Core 2's can beat an FX-62

i know that Core 2 is better, when i said that intel sucked i ment in the areas of price, heck id love an E6300.. but i aint got the money and i am maybe gonna upgrade, but im just gonna get en x2 3800, $90 on a great mobo and $152 on the cpu, and then.. im not confortable with actually having to fisicaly do something to whatever to overclock.. i mean, im not about to use the pencil mod (heard about it, but a long time ago so i kinda forgot what it was) on a $193 cpu.. sure, the E6300 is better than even an x2 4200.. but its more and u need to spend more to overclock, while with amd my bro has a some crappy SIS mobo i think and a s754 3000+ clawhammer, and he has it running at 2.4ghz no problem.. he says he can pull it up to 2.5ghz if he had gottten better ram (kingston valueselect is what hes got).. and he just oced a friends pc thats a venice 3000+ to 2.4ghz running stable on stock HSF.. its just a matter of cost.. if i had the money to get a $193 cpu and a $150-200 mobo i wouldnt hesitate

It's not Intel that suck. It's you that sucks for not having enough money...... how is that Intel's fault? :roll:

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

It's not Intel that suck. It's you that sucks for not having enough money...... how is that Intel's fault? :roll:

intels fault for making so great cps but making some crappy chipsets, sorry that im only 15 and no income

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

I wanna get everyone's opinions on this setup. Oh, also I would like a soundcard too, but not an expensive one since you don't necessarily need it. This build actually sounds good but I'm also looking at things like expandability, is it easy to upgrade later on and stuff like that. :<

Oh, and I hear the motherboard is good for overclocking, but I don't really understand the whole overclocking concept. But that's okay I can just look it up, I don't want to pester people with questions that I can probably just find on the site.

if u can spend $50 then u should get the audigy 2 zs off ebay.com here is a good card, its from the creative store on ebay.com.. sure its refurbished, but it still should work like new and its $45

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

intels fault for making so great cps but making some crappy chipsets, sorry that im only 15 and no income

Bad chipsets? Would you prefer an nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition board? :roll:

I'm not criticising you for being young and not having a job. But how is this Intel's fault? If I used your logic....... Lamborghini suck because I can't afford to but a Gallardo.

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

I'm not criticising you for being young and not having a job. But how is this Intel's fault? If I used your logic....... Lamborghini suck because I can't afford to but a Gallardo.

in my opinion lamborghini does suck.. but then i like trucks.. its just that intel should make better chipsets, heck id love to have an intel on an ATI or NVIDIA chipset anyday.. i mean, u gotta accept intel isnt all that great in the chipset buisness, the only reason i cant get a conroe is because of the mobo, id like to overclock my future cpu at most 500mhz, in that area AMD is better because cheap mobos overclock great. im just criticising intel for their chipset not their cpu's (well at least not conroe, i do criticise the Pentium 4's and D's)

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

in my opinion lamborghini does suck.. but then i like trucks.. its just that intel should make better chipsets, heck id love to have an intel on an ATI or NVIDIA chipset anyday.. i mean, u gotta accept intel isnt all that great in the chipset buisness, the only reason i cant get a conroe is because of the mobo, id like to overclock my future cpu at most 500mhz, in that area AMD is better because cheap mobos overclock great. im just criticising intel for their chipset not their cpu's (well at least not conroe, i do criticise the Pentium 4's and D's)

Intel chipsets are just fine. Not really sure what you're getting at. Intel chipsets have for the most part been the enthusiasts choice. You should also recognise that AMD don't make chipsets these days so you can't say that AMD make great chipsets. At least Intel make chipsets for their own product..........

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

Intel chipsets are just fine. Not really sure what you're getting at. Intel chipsets have for the most part been the enthusiasts choice. You should also recognise that AMD don't make chipsets these days so you can't say that AMD make great chipsets. At least Intel make chipsets for their own product..........

sure, intel chipset are good, but to get a good mobo with a good chipset and good to overclock its more expensive, i know that AMD doesnt make chipset (u can say they do now since they bought ATI) but i prefer NVIDIA and ATI chipsets over INTEL chipsets

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
sure, intel chipset are good, but to get a good mobo with a good chipset and good to overclock its more expensive, i know that AMD doesnt make chipset (u can say they do now since they bought ATI) but i prefer NVIDIA and ATI chipsets over INTEL chipsets

You get what you pay for. nForce 4 SLI chipsets used to run stupidly hot which is not a good thing. Intel generally make a dependable, capable and reliable product. But we've reached the basis for your conclusion. YOU prefer nVidia and ATI chipsets over Intel. Not because you have any evidence to suggest that either of them is better.

Frankzoola

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006

You get what you pay for. nForce 4 SLI chipsets used to run stupidly hot which is not a good thing. Intel generally make a dependable, capable and reliable product. But we've reached the basis for your conclusion. YOU prefer nVidia and ATI chipsets over Intel. Not because you have any evidence to suggest that either of them is better.

thats true u get what u pay for, but u get a generaly better chipset when u pay less for an ATI or NVIDIA.. i mean id love to have the best intel chipset.. but im not gonna spend $200 for it, while i can spend $100 and get a great mobo with an NVIDIA or ATI chipset that overclocks better than a $150 intel mobo, and sure nvidia chipset run a bit hot, especially nforce 5 00 series runs hot, weven with a watercooled heatsink (asus nforce 570 ultra) and thats a reason why i dont really want AM2.. each company has its pros and cons

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
man as of right now the setup that the guy gave you with that core 2 duo e6300 is great.No amd x2 3800 can handle it.My frend has the x2 3800 and is good but not as a core 2 duo.I own a core 2 duo e6600 and its overclocked to 2.88 on my 3dmark cpu score i got 2500 points.Thats pretty good.If i go more to 3.4 i would proably get 3000 because same guy with my setup had it.And i know that every processor doesint overclock the same but i am just saying i would get around 3000.So its worth the money.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
u came to this forum for help, got some help which hopefully u r happy with. im jus sorry tht a bunch of prats had a stupid arguement in this topic