need help, new build freezing up

strpdgato

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
New build, was running fine w/ just the fresh OS, chipset drivers, flashed bios. Now I finally managed to get it hooked up to the network and started to download misc drivers.

To the best of my memory these are the changes I made:
-Ran Windows update once and installed some stuff
-dl and installed latest build of Radeon Omega drivers (now removed but still does notthing to help the situation)
-dl and ran cpu-z
-installed monitor driver off cd along w/ some configuration utility

What happens is the system just locks up whenever i try to do something (or anything for that matter) like browsing through folders/control pannel/cpu-z/web browser, this usualy occurs within 15-30 sec.

I tried tinkering w/ the ram cause it's wasnt running at right freq/voltage/timings but it does not seem to matter.

Is it possible I caught a bug online since i dont have any antivirus/firewall yet and am using outdated OS and web browser (IE)?

I really need some help casue this is really frustrating, i think im just gonna reformat the damn thing and start fresh.

Here are my specs at a glance: Biostar Tforce550 AM2, X2 4200, 2gig Corsair xms2 ddr2-800 CL4, x1800xt, maxtor 200Gb sata, Sony Dvd-rw, Antec truepower 500w, WinXP pro sp2.

New build, was running fine w/ just the fresh OS, chipset drivers, flashed bios. Now I finally managed to get it hooked up to the network and started to download misc drivers.

To the best of my memory these are the changes I made:
-Ran Windows update once and installed some stuff
-dl and installed latest build of Radeon Omega drivers (now removed but still does notthing to help the situation)
-dl and ran cpu-z
-installed monitor driver off cd along w/ some configuration utility

What happens is the system just locks up whenever i try to do something (or anything for that matter) like browsing through folders/control pannel/cpu-z/web browser, this usualy occurs within 15-30 sec.

I tried tinkering w/ the ram cause it's wasnt running at right freq/voltage/timings but it does not seem to matter.

Is it possible I caught a bug online since i dont have any antivirus/firewall yet and am using outdated OS and web browser (IE)?

I really need some help casue this is really frustrating, i think im just gonna reformat the damn thing and start fresh.

Here are my specs at a glance: Biostar Tforce550 AM2, X2 4200, 2gig Corsair xms2 ddr2-800 CL4, x1800xt, maxtor 200Gb sata, Sony Dvd-rw, Antec truepower 500w, WinXP pro sp2.

I would offer two suggestions:

ATI 6.8 driver:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

AMD Optomizer and processor driver here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html