Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2006 6:00:18 PM

Hi everybody,

I am putting this system together for my wife. She'll be using this computer for general office jobs when working from home. Beside offfice programs, she'll be using it for accouting, sells and quotations programs. Obviously there won't be any OC'ing and probably very little gaming ( too bad she used to ). She also has a laptop be she perfers woking from a desktop when she is working from home. Her old one died a while ago and it's not worth getting it repair.

She's not into changing her computer every 2 years so this one has to last a good long while.

Here's what I picked :

CoreDuo 6400
MB : Asus P5LD2
HD : Segate 320 7200.10
PS : Enermax 480 w Noisetaker 24 pines
DVD/RW Pioneer 111d DL
Floppy
RAM : OCZ 667 DDR2 NO-ECC 2048 Gold XTC kit 2 x 1 Gig
Leadtek 6800 GT ( Already have that card doing nothing )
Case : Antec Super Landboy ( She picked that one herself over the Sonota II I had picked ) She thought it was hugly.
Monitor : Viewsonic VX922 19'' LCD

Total : 1775.57 CDN $

That's about it. I agree that it's probably an overkill for her intented use but it fits the budget and it seems to me that she'll be able to run that system for a good while before needing another system.

Any suggestions is welcome

More about : wife computer evalutation

September 3, 2006 6:47:07 PM

looks fine too me. u seem to know what ur doing??

maybe if you got the case in pink....
September 3, 2006 6:57:44 PM

just curious but where in Canada are you?

get the 6300, should be ~50 cheaper and with light application, you will never know teh difference.
Related resources
September 3, 2006 7:32:11 PM

well if she is happy with it,and you seem to like it.well i see nothing wrong.and if it's going to be used as you say it is,then it should last a good long time.good choice of parts,well done.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
September 3, 2006 7:35:03 PM

I am in Montreal,

True I could get the 6300 but well since the 6400 fits the budget why not ?

A pink case ! well that's an interesting suggestion, never seen one. Well true she likes little details like that, I might get her 2 x 120 mm case fans with purple led.
September 3, 2006 7:44:28 PM

Monitor real estate never goes out of style. Not sure what prices are like for you, but in the US, 20" wide-screen LCD monitors running at 1680x1050 pixels have recently dropped into the USD 260-290 range. IMHO, an enormous improvement over the 1280x1024 19" displays. I got myself a nice Samsung 205bw from OfficeMax of all places!
September 3, 2006 7:52:40 PM

Well since she is not gaming, would that be worth the extra money, frankly I don't know maybe. I haven't check the 20''.
September 3, 2006 8:05:19 PM

The setup is ok but you could go for a cheaper Conroe
September 3, 2006 8:10:34 PM

Quote:

A pink case ! well that's an interesting suggestion, never seen one. Well true she likes little details like that, I might get her 2 x 120 mm case fans with purple led.

i was joking org but here is one...pink case
can take 120mm fans aswell.
September 3, 2006 8:10:43 PM

hi
gd choice f parts......
n mayb u shd get her a catwoman shaped cabinet. :lol:  (kiddin dude)
n hey dat system can b used 4 gaming also....
September 3, 2006 8:39:21 PM

Quote:

i was joking org but here is one...pink case
can take 120mm fans aswell.

He cant order from newegg because he is in canada. I have first hand experience in that too, canada has a limited amount of choices and usually higher prices.
September 3, 2006 8:51:27 PM

Great choice of components indeed but you appear to be paying way too much for this.

Take a look at http://www.directcanada.com

This place offers free ground shipping and you only pay the GST as they ship from British Columbia. I ordered from them just last week and it took only 4 days with free ground shipping. You can pay for express air but it will cost you. I live in Gatineau by the way.

I priced your system and came up to 1312.03$ including taxes. I seriously believe you can get a better price.
September 3, 2006 10:55:55 PM

Quote:
Well since she is not gaming, would that be worth the extra money, ...

These are the kinds of questions you should probably ask her, as it is likely you are not qualified to answer... :) 
Remember: "Case : Antec Super Landboy ( She picked that one herself over the Sonota II I had picked ) She thought it was hugly. "
September 3, 2006 11:15:32 PM

Quote:
Great choice of components indeed but you appear to be paying way too much for this.

Take a look at http://www.directcanada.com

This place offers free ground shipping and you only pay the GST as they ship from British Columbia. I ordered from them just last week and it took only 4 days with free ground shipping. You can pay for express air but it will cost you. I live in Gatineau by the way.

I priced your system and came up to 1312.03$ including taxes. I seriously believe you can get a better price.

this place does give some pretty decent prices, thanks for the link. I will surely look them up for my next build.

OP, care to post whre you got your prices from?
September 4, 2006 4:13:54 PM

I got those prices from Microbytes, usually they have pretty hard to beat prices around town. Mainly, as far as buying parts at a shop and not from on online site is concerned, they are pretty much the cheapest with one other shop. I went there because the shop is a five minutes drives from home. What I like about it, is that if I ever got a problem with the computer and can't fixe it myself then the shop is around the corner.

Surtama : yes that price seems pretty good, I never knew this site. I might take a look.

Doogie_boy : That's a pink case allright ! Ouch ! A pair a sun glasses might be needed to look at the case in full sun...
September 4, 2006 11:34:12 PM

Quote:

Doogie_boy : That's a pink case allright ! Ouch ! A pair a sun glasses might be needed to look at the case in full sun...

:lol:  :lol:  at comment

yea, i would be kind of paranoid at ordering stuff online but things like CPU, optical drives, case can never really have too much a problem.

RAM, mobo and vid cards i would definitely try to get locally.
September 5, 2006 12:17:34 AM

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I am putting this system together for my wife. She'll be using this computer for general office jobs when working from home. Beside offfice programs, she'll be using it for accouting, sells and quotations programs. Obviously there won't be any OC'ing and probably very little gaming ( too bad she used to ). She also has a laptop be she perfers woking from a desktop when she is working from home.

She's not into changing her computer every 2 years so this one has to last a good long while.

Here's what I picked :

CoreDuo 6400
DVD/RW Pioneer 111d DL
Floppy
Case : Antec Super Landboy ( She picked that one herself over the Sonota II I had picked ) She thought it was hugly.

That's about it. I agree that it's probably an overkill for her intented use but it fits the budget and it seems to me that she'll be able to run that system for a good while before needing another system.

There is nothing worse like getting a DESKTOP for wife.

You will wait cold in the bed when she is killing the electrons.

Good IBM laptop is a lot better than Desktop for your needs
Instead of Intel Duo AMD 5000+ X2 will do a better job.

For tasks you've described building desktop is just foolish, when you can get decent powerful IBM or ASUS laptop which can be used also in bed. ... and beside it you can save plenty of money!
September 5, 2006 12:57:09 AM

Good lord $1700 bucks just to crunch some numbers. You should have saved a bundle and gotten her a cheap Dell and the used the extra money saved to take a vacation! You must really love your wife :!: Or your rich.

:wink:
September 5, 2006 1:22:10 AM

It looks nice. It's overkill, but it should last her a long time.
September 5, 2006 1:28:03 AM

Quote:
Well since she is not gaming, would that be worth the extra money, frankly I don't know maybe. I haven't check the 20''.

A 20"-21" widescreen is also good for office productivity. She can see two pages, text or spreadsheets at the same time. You can probably stay within budget by dialing back on the cpu, the E6400 is overkill for office work, and getting some lower performance ram. Except for the video card you're building a highend gaming machine.
September 5, 2006 1:49:53 AM

A 6400 Conroe for.. office apps? I personally think that's a total waste. As is the 6800 GT. Sell the 6800 GT while it's worth something.

My vote is for a low-end Sempron CPU like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
(64-bit support for future-proofing.)

I have no idea why you'd put OCZ memory in that. Get Kingston ValueRAM, Crucial Value, stuff like that. It'll work perfectly fine at stock speeds.

320GB for office apps? No way. 160-200GB are very cheap now, she'll never know the difference.

Get a motherboard with onboard video, it is great for office apps. Or, throw in a cheap PCI Express card. The 6800GT will just be loud and under utilized.

For $500, you can put together a nice office system. You went way overboard.

EDIT: Of course, if you can write this off the the price really doesn't matter, well, the sky's the limit and ignore me :) 
September 5, 2006 5:15:57 AM

Quote:
Good lord $1700 bucks just to crunch some numbers. You should have saved a bundle and gotten her a cheap Dell and the used the extra money saved to take a vacation! You must really love your wife :!: Or your rich.

:wink:

I sure love my wife. We're leaving on a nice vacation in octobre and it's fun spending someone's else money. Her boss is paying for that computer as he appreciate her work. She's top notch in her line of work so she gets some nice goodies.
September 5, 2006 6:16:31 AM

Avoid the P5LD2, i tried using that board and it didnt support conroe. Had the store flash 2 boards and they said that the latest bios file ruined two boards.
September 5, 2006 6:42:37 AM

That's getting me worried ! I asked specifically the dude in the shope and he was positively sure about that board supporting C2D out of the box...

Anyone got similar experience with that board ?
September 5, 2006 6:57:20 AM

I think you maybe right, I am just back from ASUS web site and the list of CPU supported by that board doesn't include the C2D serie. Thinking about it I might get the GA-965P-S3 board instead so I am sure it supports CD2 CPU.
September 5, 2006 12:05:02 PM

Quote:
You think you maybe right, I am just back from ASUS web site and the list of CPU supported by that board doesn't include the C2D serie. Thinking about it I might get the GA-965P-S3 board instead so I am sure it supports CD2 CPU.

I would have said that from the start. Why go with an nVidia chipset board if you're not going SLI? Intel chipset boards are almost always the best for Intel CPU's.
September 5, 2006 1:12:38 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I am putting this system together for my wife. She'll be using this computer for general office jobs when working from home. Beside offfice programs, she'll be using it for accouting, sells and quotations programs. Obviously there won't be any OC'ing and probably very little gaming ( too bad she used to ). She also has a laptop be she perfers woking from a desktop when she is working from home. Her old one died a while ago and it's not worth getting it repair.

Here's what I picked :

CoreDuo 6400
DVD/RW Pioneer 111d DL
Floppy

if i were you, i would buy this setup for me, change the 6800GT with the 7600GT you have in your sig... then give you sig computer to wife hahahaha
it would be a hell of a good machine for office applications, even gaming
September 5, 2006 1:59:45 PM

Why would you want the P5LD2, which is build with the 945P chipset, when you can get the newer P965?
The Asus P5B or P5B-Deluxe (not the Wifi - too expensive and I don't think Wifi-AP and a desktop PC mixes well) is P965 based.
On Asus website they write that the P5LD2 also supports Core2, but why not get a motherboard with the newest chipset?
September 5, 2006 5:07:38 PM

Quote:
If i were you, i would buy this setup for me, change the 6800GT with the 7600GT you have in your sig... then give you sig computer to wife hahahaha
it would be a hell of a good machine for office applications, even gaming

:lol:  Hehe That thought crossed my mind but nah I'll leave her the new toy.

You're right about getting the newer chipset.
September 5, 2006 9:08:20 PM

Well, the Asus web site says only revision R2.0 or greater supports the Core2Duo. http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=51...

I agree about getting a better MB with a newer chipset. Also, the PS doesn't seem that great, especially if you want to run high-powered graphics cards. If you still want an Enermax, at least get the newer Noisetaker 2 line, not the older Noisetaker line.
September 6, 2006 1:28:56 AM

Looking around, I think that finally I'd like to go with this motherboard what do you think GA-965P DS3. It's about 50 buck more but I think it's worth it. I am not willing to go with the 975 chipset as I found those boards to be too expensive.

Also, I will probably switch to an Antec PS something in the TruePower serie.
September 6, 2006 7:40:54 AM

Quote:
Looking around, I think that finally I'd like to go with this motherboard what do you think GA-965P DS3. It's about 50 buck more but I think it's worth it.

It's a good board. Does it cost $50 more than the Asus P5B-Deluxe or the older Asus board you considered earlier?
Alternatives:
The difference between the GA-965P DS3 and the GA-965 DS4 is a firewire port (if your wife has a DV camera, it could be handy) and the south bridge, which is ICH8 in the DS3 and ICH8R in the DS4 and DQ6.
The ICH8R has two more SATA ports and Intel Matrix RAID.
The difference of the DQ6 is better voltage regulators and better passive cooling.
The Asus P5B-Deluxe should be considered somewhere between the DS4 and the DQ6.
Both Asus and Gigabyte makes excellent boards - it really depends on price and needed extras such as more SATA ports and Firewire.

Quote:
I am not willing to go with the 975 chipset as I found those boards to be too expensive.

I would not choose the 975 chipset for the type of system your wife need: More expensive, some boards not compatible with Core2, older generation, and uses slower memory. 975 is mostly for the EE and overclocking.
Quote:
Also, I will probably switch to an Antec PS something in the TruePower serie.

I would too. The Neo HE 500 og TruePower Trio 550 seems good candidates.

Another thing: I would get a bigger monitor than the 19" viewsonic.
The Viewsonic is good - no doubt about that, but personally I think that the monitor is one of the places where extra cost really rewards you on a daily basis. I am looking at a HP LP2465 - excellent 24" monitor. Some of my clients has a smaller Samsung T214 - very nice 21".
September 6, 2006 9:23:12 AM

It's 50 $ more then the older Asus I was considering.

You're not the first person I hear saying that monitor should be as big as budget allows. I am not disputing that but you got to draw the line somewhere. In order to get a larger monitor I would probably have to tone down some stuff. The frist thing that comes to mind is RAM. I could go for 1 Gig of RAM instead of 2. This could give some leeway to purchase a larger screen. I have not the prices handy but that could add around 150-100 $ for the monitor budget. Anyways, I'll check with my wife and see to which extent this budget is ''strechable''.
September 6, 2006 10:50:06 AM

Quote:
It's 50 $ more then the older Asus I was considering.

Well, that is definitely worth it.

Quote:
I am not disputing that but you got to draw the line somewhere. In order to get a larger monitor I would probably have to tone down some stuff. The frist thing that comes to mind is RAM. I could go for 1 Gig of RAM instead of 2.

Well, you need look at the RAM anyway. The Core2 and P965 combination can run the memory at a faster clock, so instead of 667MHz DDR2 you should get 800MHz DDR2. Spending extra on gaming RAM is not worth it - any kind of value RAM from any major brand is ok, such as Kingston. But still, cutting the RAM from 2 to 1GB is not the best place to cut. Why not get the E6300 instead of the E6400? Both have got the smaller 2MB cache.
If don't know about which kind of prices you can get, but if you can get the Samsung, I am sure your wife will be happy. The HP will need a bigger budget than you can shave of the system, but if the work is paying, and willing to adjust the budget it is surely a nice monitor.
Another way to work better with the system, is getting a 19" or max 21" monitor, but getting two monitors. It takes up more deskspace but it is incredible useful when working, to be able to put one application on one screen, and another on the second. That way you could have Word on the first, and Excel or whatever on the second. On one big widescreen (such as the HP) you can move and size windows to get the two applications side by side, but it is a hazzle. Much easier with two monitors, with each application window maximised. I have not meet anybody who went from one monitor to two, and EVER wanting to go back.
September 6, 2006 12:26:50 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering what a Antec Landboy is :?:

It's called a typo oh pedantic one.
September 6, 2006 12:31:33 PM

Quote:
It looks nice. It's overkill, but it should last her a long time.
Ditto from me... dual core for office apps? You could run that on a single core for MUCH cheaper, and still never need more.

A faster HD would get you more "performance" than a faster CPU for such applications. Single core is also plenty for office apps. $1700... yeesh... my gaming/multipurpose system cost less than this. (Granted, I don't play Oblivion or anything that demanding.)
September 6, 2006 12:48:28 PM

Oh, I do like dual core in Office applications. I normally have got a lot of applications running at the same time when working. Actually, it is gaming which is more of a single CPU activity.

When working, I have got running:
1) Outlook (incoming mail and calender remainders).
2) WordPerfect (never did like Word).
3) Excel (Oh, but I do like Excel!)
4) WinAmp MP3 player (my music) or online radio streaming.
5) Access database for time accounting.
6) Internet Explorer. Several windows for reference information.

And sometimes a developer tool is running as well.
A lot of my clients has the above, plus Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, 3dMax and 2 or 3 custom applications running.

Yes - dual core is needed for a modern solution to minimize the loss to context switching. The speed of each core is not the most important, but dual core is, and quad core will be even nicer. The harddisk selected by FatCat is more than fast enough, but he should not save on dual core nor RAM, if his wife has work habbits anywhere like what I normally see in a professional setting.
September 6, 2006 7:15:03 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering what a Antec Landboy is :?:

That one is easy enough, Landboy refers to someone who doesn't like sea or air travel. :lol: 
September 7, 2006 12:53:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, I do like dual core in Office applications...
Sure it's nice. But it's not necessary... it's overkill. Besides which, you seem to be a heavier user of the system than what "the wife" in the OP would be doing... any heavy multitasker could benefit, but most people running basic office apps and email do not do this.

I myself am a heavy multitasker, and I certainly have not noticed any performance improvement from the dual-CPU systems I use at work compared to my systems at home.
!