Sign in with
Your question

e6300 overclocking on nForce 570

Last response: in Overclocking
September 3, 2006 7:31:05 PM

I bought an nForce 570 board (ASUS P5NSLI) and an e6300 off Tiger Direct the other day. Overclocking has been mediocre so far. I have only managed to reach a 20% increase; FSB is at 322mHz. Chipset is volted up by .1v, its a 1.5 now. Ram is at 4-4-4-12 timings, 644 mhz, 2.0v, dual channel. CPU at stock voltage. Great cooling.

Its POSTing and being completely stable, but if I increase the FSB by two mHz, it doesnt POST at all.

I'm wondering if there is anything left for me to do. I read that that the RAM to FSB should be 1:1... does that mean I should slow down my RAM and up my FSB? Then I could probably lower my timings a lot, and maybe that would be more stable.

My goal is for this thing to be faster than an overclocked D 805, which I could have bought for a lot less money. But so far I haven't been able to find comprehensive benchmarks to prove that this investment was worth it.
September 4, 2006 12:15:18 AM

I'm just wondering Wusy, what are your views regarding the i975x chipset for overclocking? I'm intending to make a Core 2 build soon, moving the water system over from my D930 etc. I need a new mobo though as it is a i955 chipset.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
September 4, 2006 12:29:04 AM

Quote:
I'm just wondering Wusy, what are your views regarding the i975x chipset for overclocking? I'm intending to make a Core 2 build soon, moving the water system over from my D930 etc. I need a new mobo though as it is a i955 chipset.

Use a Conroe(E6600+) on them. :)  For me tho I'll be stucked to using 975X and wanted a E6600 in the first place anyway.

There's really not much to complain with 975X, Crossfire+SLI support with 400+ FSB is better than nothing on nForce 570/590 IE. :D 

I'm thinking of waiting for the E4300, the lower FSB should help a lot with a major overclocking project (I'm aiming for 3.6+). What do you think?
Related resources
September 4, 2006 12:32:16 AM

Quote:

Use a Conroe(E6600+) on them. :)  For me tho I'll be stucked to using 975X and wanted a E6600 in the first place anyway.

There's really not much to complain with 975X, Crossfire+SLI support with 400+ FSB is better than nothing on nForce 570/590 IE. :D 

I'm thinking of waiting for the E4300, the lower FSB should help a lot with a major overclocking project (I'm aiming for 3.6+). What do you think?
Then you shouldn't even be taking the slightest peek to look at 975X. :tongue:

Looks like E6600 it is then! Or maybe i can stump up the extra for the holy grail of all CPUs....the x6800 *drools*.
September 4, 2006 3:36:58 AM

Quote:

Isn't the 975X an Intel board? I didn't do enough research on them, but I thought Intel boards didn't support SLI. Do they even have connectors for them?

Worst comes to worst, I can return the board and get an Intel board. But I already have two 7800GTs from a previous build that I want to save.
September 4, 2006 3:39:51 AM

Quote:

If you purchased that board based on this thread, then I'm sorry, you got tricked. I warned them and did not listen.

Nope, this is an ASUS P5NSLI. I realized that and purposefully stayed away from that board. nForce 4 was great two years ago but I don't want to stick a Conroe in that.

That chipset gets HOT. I was running the computer for a few minutes and it's almost painful to the touch. I don't trust the passive cooling and I might stick another fan on it. Maybe even some water cooling if I can manage to get a job this school year.

My original questions: How should I time the RAM? And will this rig perform better or worse than an overclocked 805?
September 4, 2006 4:25:30 AM

Quote:
That chipset gets HOT. I was running the computer for a few minutes and it's almost painful to the touch. I don't trust the passive cooling and I might stick another fan on it. Maybe even some water cooling if I can manage to get a job this school year.

If you decide to keep that board, do whatever you can to nurture that board so you reach higher FSB. And I mean anything.

Quote:
My original questions: How should I time the RAM? And will this rig perform better or worse than an overclocked 805?

Set it to the rated timing & speed as explained in the guide on how to.
Today I'll be adding intructions on how to extract over 333Mhz out of those DDR2-667 4-4-4-12, needed for higher FSB @1:1 (which currently with yours can't).

The E6300 at stock speed runs multiple circles around an overclocked D805. :wink:

and when he says multiple, he means it!the 805 at any speed is just no match (speed within reason)
September 4, 2006 4:39:18 AM

Kickass. I was hoping this was a good investment. I'm installing Windows on it tomorrow and I'm very excited.

I think I am returning this board and getting a Bad Axe or something, if it all works out. Either way I am satisfied with this rig.
September 4, 2006 3:10:02 PM

Meh, I think I'll stick with this board for awhile. I already have 3 gigs of ddr2-667 ram, and I just can't afford new RAM and a more expensive board.

I'll come back to this thread or start a new one on how successful this project turns out.
September 4, 2006 7:15:50 PM

Wusy, not sure if you've heard of this or not, but I'm part of the Intel purchase program. Which this year includes the E6300.

My question to you is: Would I be better off keeping that processor and upgrading to the ASUS mobo you mentioned in the guide, or just going with an E6600 & the ASUS mobo?? Regardless or the processor I end up with, I will have the Zalman 9500 HSF on it.

About ~3Ghz is my goal. I currenty have 2Gb Geil DDR2 667 rated @ 3-4-4-8 / 2.1V
Plus 1Gb of DDR2 675 Kingston Hyper-X @ 4-4-4-12 / ~2.0V

I know if I use both, I'l be reduced to the highest timing of 4-4-4-12, but what I'm wondering is if I use both, could I still get the 1:1 ratio most overclockers desire?
September 4, 2006 11:15:35 PM

Always nice to see a fellow Tifosi on hand...did you see Massa's win in Turkey?

I'm going to be building either an E6300 or E6400 based system in about two weeks...which board offers the easiest overclocking? I'm not looking for a super-hardcore overclock, but at least E6600-E6700 levels.
September 4, 2006 11:35:27 PM

Quote:
You'll have to make it 2x1GB of course for maximum Mhz. The most games will use nowdays is 1GB(game)+250MB(system), 2GB used for the sake of dual-channel & OC potential. 3x1GB will slow your system down one way or another.

I started off with 2x512mb sticks, and figured that was not enough, so I added another gig to each channel. That's 1.5gigs on each channel, so dual channel still works.

Edit: And yes, its 4-4-4-12 timings.
September 4, 2006 11:36:10 PM

25 secs 1M superPI... is that good?
September 4, 2006 11:40:53 PM

Quote:

Yeh, very happy for him, but I'm really a Schumie fan and wanted him to win that one instead. A big dilema in that race!
I can see Messa is playing it smart now. From now on he's going to do everything he can to get Schumie to win so he'll retire winning the Championship meanwhile he'll continue the drive for Ferrari himself next year.
I'll big a big supporter of 'Ice Man' even if Schumi doesn't retire next year, but I hope he does (with the eigth bagged of course).

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing...on one hand, I want to see him retire on top...on the other, I want him to keep showing how older, experienced drivers can still kick ass...granted the car is still the biggest factor in F1. Ideally he should quit when he doesn't love it (or can't perform at a high level) anymore...though I say a lot of this because I REALLY got the racing bug when I entered college (not as a 6 year-old), and I want to go pro eventually...maybe not to Formula 1 (unless I bring millions to some struggling team), but maybe sports cars... :D 
September 5, 2006 6:22:01 AM

Quote:

Yeh, very happy for him, but I'm really a Schumie fan and wanted him to win that one instead. A big dilema in that race!
I can see Messa is playing it smart now. From now on he's going to do everything he can to get Schumie to win so he'll retire winning the Championship meanwhile he'll continue the drive for Ferrari himself next year.
I'll big a big supporter of 'Ice Man' even if Schumi doesn't retire next year, but I hope he does (with the eigth bagged of course).

Button FTW!

Shame there's only 1 English driver :( 

David Coulthard doesn't count, he's Scottish.

Godzilla is Japans rendition of Chuck Norris' first visit to Tokyo
September 5, 2006 6:45:02 AM

Quote:

Button FTW!

Shame there's only 1 English driver :( 

David Coulthard doesn't count, he's Scottish.

No doubt...I was extremely happy for Jenson after his win at Hungary...he deserved it after all the "not quite there yet" cars he's had to put up with. I think he's awesome...hope that's just one of many.

Godzilla is Japans rendition of Chuck Norris' first visit to Tokyo
September 5, 2006 3:32:21 PM

Quote:
You should've so seen those anti-Button T-shirts worn by the guys over at www.theprancinghorse.co.uk at the Silverstone GP! :lol:  :lol: 

Bah....Glory Supporters :p 

I wish Sato would get a decent drive again, he was a very exciting driver to watch when he was on form (ie very rarely :-P). Another character i miss from the F1 Paddock is Montoya, he was a very very good driver to watch. He was always very daring.
September 6, 2006 12:30:49 AM

I'm glad my topic has gotten so interesting for you guys...
Being an American, I've never watched a Formula race. We have NASCAR, which blows.
September 6, 2006 12:48:48 AM

Quote:
Man, to lose Montoya from F1 is just terrible! I blame it on McLaren and F1 itself, unacceptable of what they did to Montoya to make him leave. Till this day in modern-F1 he was the only guy that had the gut to 'monster' Schumie.

At least Sato doesn't even have the car underneth him now to do a potentialable 'lung everything inside and pray'. :lol: 

True...both McLaren and Williams have been off form as of late...Webber is pretty unhappy as well. Ron Dennis wasn't too happy with Montoya this season anyway, but his shunt with Kimi at the USGP pretty much sealed Montoya's fate. He switched to NASCAR because he's worked and won a championship with Ganassi before, and he'd make way more money than he would anywhere else (especially in the States). Also remember, he's driven a stock car before--when he switched cars with Jeff Gordon at Indy a few years back--though never on a true oval. It'll definitely be interesting to see how well he does...the transition rarely works well for open-wheelers, save for Tony Stewart and a few others.

Sato is kind of in a weird place right now too...I can't see any other team taking him at this point, because he won't be able to show what he can do with a mediocre car (that's why I wish F1 was more like Champ Car). At the same time, he probably isn't going to get booted anytime soon because he's one of the best Japanese drivers out there on a Japanese team...but it's going to take a number of years for Super Aguri to be competitive.

Funny how this went from a C2D/nVidia 570 post into a racing post...oh well... :D 
September 6, 2006 12:57:43 AM

Quote:
Well heck, Montoya is comming to NASCAR next season. You guys got lucky! :)  I might even watch NASCAR for the first couple of races just to see how Montoya is doing and what he meant when he said more passing and fighting in NASCAR compared to boring F1 which is true.

I'm American too...well, Nigerian-American...lately CBS has been airing about 4-5 races a season on regular TV, and Speed Channel airs the rest. Otherwise you can just download them via BT, which is usually the case for me, since Speed is only on digital cable in my neighborhood. :evil: 

The season has been one of the best yet!
September 6, 2006 6:42:09 AM

4-5 Races of what? Nascar or F1?

I have watched Nascar before and i have to say i found it terribly boring. Sure the crashes can be quite spectacular, but 30 guys travelling around an ovel just isn't appealing to me!

We're quite lucky with our F1 coverage in the UK, ITV air every race and the coverage is pretty good and you also get a lot of background knowledge from interviews before/after the races.
!