Dynamic Disk and extended volume

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 24, 2004 9:05:02 AM

Windows 2000 Server SP4
Drive 0 - System
Drive 1 - Data
Drive 2 - New Drive

My data drive is running short on space. I installed a third drive thinking
I could extend Drive 1 to the new drive. I Upgraded Drive 1 to a Dynamic
disk. Within Disk Management when I right click on the drive and select
"Extend the Volume" I get and error "the selected volume was originally
created on a basic disk and cannot be extedned. Only volumes originally on
dynamic disks can be extedned."
If I click on the Drive I on the left side I have the option of creating a
volume. Am I missing something here? I would really like to extend this
drive to the new drive but am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 10:53:19 PM

Suehf

This MS Knowledge Base article explains why it doesn't work:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551

You have two options. Copy the files from disk 1 to disk 2, delete the
volume on disk 1, create a new volume on disk 1 while it is dynamic, copy
the files back, delete the volume on disk 2, convert to dynamic, and then
extend. The other option would be to mount disk 2 as a folder on disk 1, as
this article describes:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314449

Best regards

Bjorn
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

!