Dynamic Disk and extended volume

Windows 2000 Server SP4
Drive 0 - System
Drive 1 - Data
Drive 2 - New Drive

My data drive is running short on space. I installed a third drive thinking
I could extend Drive 1 to the new drive. I Upgraded Drive 1 to a Dynamic
disk. Within Disk Management when I right click on the drive and select
"Extend the Volume" I get and error "the selected volume was originally
created on a basic disk and cannot be extedned. Only volumes originally on
dynamic disks can be extedned."
If I click on the Drive I on the left side I have the option of creating a
volume. Am I missing something here? I would really like to extend this
drive to the new drive but am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about dynamic disk extended volume

    Suehf

    This MS Knowledge Base article explains why it doesn't work:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551

    You have two options. Copy the files from disk 1 to disk 2, delete the
    volume on disk 1, create a new volume on disk 1 while it is dynamic, copy
    the files back, delete the volume on disk 2, convert to dynamic, and then
    extend. The other option would be to mount disk 2 as a folder on disk 1, as
    this article describes:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314449

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Suehf" <Suehf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Windows 2000 Server SP4
    >Drive 0 - System
    >Drive 1 - Data
    >Drive 2 - New Drive
    >
    >My data drive is running short on space. I installed a third drive thinking
    >I could extend Drive 1 to the new drive. I Upgraded Drive 1 to a Dynamic
    >disk. Within Disk Management when I right click on the drive and select
    >"Extend the Volume" I get and error "the selected volume was originally
    >created on a basic disk and cannot be extedned. Only volumes originally on
    >dynamic disks can be extedned."
    >If I click on the Drive I on the left side I have the option of creating a
    >volume. Am I missing something here? I would really like to extend this
    >drive to the new drive but am not sure how to approach this.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help.

File System Windows 2000 Windows