Errors on a NTFS partition.

Hello,

I have problems with a NTFS partition:
if I run chkdsk in read-only mode it will find errors, such as errors in
MFT BITMAP structure, of free space which is marked as used in MTF, and
many other error types.

Then I try to run chkdsk with /f parameter, it asks me if it should
unmount the volume (my profile is on that volume, not the system
installation however), if I let it, it checks the volume, corrects the
errors. Then I run it again in read-only mode and again it finds errors,
which are not the same errors it found before. I can run in with /f
parameter to correct the errors, but after that new errors will be found ...

Scheduling chkdsk to run at system boot instead of unmounting the volume
leads to the same situation: if U run chkdsk in read-only mode directly
after the boot process it will find errors again.

Something seems to be wrong with the file system.
My configuration is: basic disk, 3 primary partitions:
2 GB swap partition FAT
10 GB system partition NTFS
140 GB data partition NTFS, (d:) my user profile resides here

The errors occur on d:

XP pro with SP2 german.

Any ideas what it can be?

Kind regards
-Lev Povalahev

--
remove JUNK and SPAM to email me

Lev Povalahev <JUuntrusted1NK@SPlevpAM.de> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I have problems with a NTFS partition:
> if I run chkdsk in read-only mode it will find errors, such as errors
> in MFT BITMAP structure, of free space which is marked as used in MTF,
> and many other error types.
>
> Then I try to run chkdsk with /f parameter, it asks me if it should
> unmount the volume (my profile is on that volume, not the system
> installation however), if I let it, it checks the volume, corrects the
> errors. Then I run it again in read-only mode and again it finds
> errors, which are not the same errors it found before. I can run in
> with /f parameter to correct the errors, but after that new errors
> will be found ...
>
> Scheduling chkdsk to run at system boot instead of unmounting the
> volume leads to the same situation: if U run chkdsk in read-only mode
> directly after the boot process it will find errors again.
>
> Something seems to be wrong with the file system.
> My configuration is: basic disk, 3 primary partitions:
> 2 GB swap partition FAT
> 10 GB system partition NTFS
> 140 GB data partition NTFS, (d:) my user profile resides here
>
> The errors occur on d:
>
> XP pro with SP2 german.
>
> Any ideas what it can be?
>
> Kind regards
> -Lev Povalahev
>
> --
> remove JUNK and SPAM to email me

Read-only Chkdsk is not very reliable and may report false errors
depending on file usage. There may be an underlying media problem. I
would run chkdsk with the /r parameter and see if it finds media
problems. If it does then you can have it repair them but I would then
look at replacing the drive. Once media problems occur it is likely that
they will continue to occur. If it doesn't find media problems then I
would look at defragging the drive to see if they fixes the problem.

Leonard Severt

Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.