Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent dsl modem startup problems with windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 24, 2011 10:12:45 AM

I have a problem with connecting my PC to my modem (Siemens Speedstream 4100) DSL connection on startup. On startup my PC goes through its pre Windows loading of hardware and software and I can see that my modem shows the DSL light green, and is operating. Then Windows 7, 64 bit, starts loading. The green DSL light turns off and then either my internet light indicates green briefly and my DSL light shows green again and stays on or Windows 7 loads and no DSL light is on and there is no Internet connection. If I reboot once or twice it finally works fine, with no subsequent interruption unless the PC goes into sleep mode. If it goes into sleep mode and I bring it back the DSL connection is broken and I must reboot again once or twice to get my connection back.

I've changed cables to no effect. I had no such problem with my PC or modem when I was using Windows XP. If my modem did not work at all I would purchase a different modem. However, I don't know if it is my modem, my DSL, my ISP or what.
May 24, 2011 12:12:11 PM

Get a long extension cord handy.

Follow these solutions. If one doenst work, go for the next one.

1. Boot the PC up without the cable attached from the PC to the modem.
If it doesn't affect the modem, get a new NIC.
If it does affect the modem, go to solution 2 (for laptops) or solution 3 (for desktops)

2. Connect a power extension cord to a power outlet somewhere in your house as far away from your computer as possible. Plug the other end to your PC. Boot it up (With cable attached from computer to modem). (For laptops, run it on battery)
If it doesn't affect the modem, then it is the noise in the electrical lines. Get some kind of noise filter
If it does affect the modem, go solution 3

3. Try using another computer.
If it doesn't affect the modem, then get the problematic computer's NIC replaced
If it does affect the modem, get the modem replaced.
m
l
May 24, 2011 7:21:14 PM

Stephen137 said:
I have a problem with connecting my PC to my modem (Siemens Speedstream 4100) DSL connection on startup. On startup my PC goes through its pre Windows loading of hardware and software and I can see that my modem shows the DSL light green, and is operating. Then Windows 7, 64 bit, starts loading. The green DSL light turns off and then either my internet light indicates green briefly and my DSL light shows green again and stays on or Windows 7 loads and no DSL light is on and there is no Internet connection. If I reboot once or twice it finally works fine, with no subsequent interruption unless the PC goes into sleep mode. If it goes into sleep mode and I bring it back the DSL connection is broken and I must reboot again once or twice to get my connection back.

I've changed cables to no effect. I had no such problem with my PC or modem when I was using Windows XP. If my modem did not work at all I would purchase a different modem. However, I don't know if it is my modem, my DSL, my ISP or what.

Thank you edmond419 for getting back to me so soon.
Since the problem is intermittent, the pc will start up and connect fine several times a day, for a few days. Then it will fail once or twice, but on the second or third start up it will connect and function normally. I checked with Microsoft on the hardware, Siemens Speedstream 4100 and they indicate they do not know if the modem will function on Windows 7 as the company, Siemens, never got back to them. I went to Siemens and found that once they sell a product they stop thinking about it; i.e. huh ... we don't know anything about it, go buy a new model.
I was hoping I was not unique with this problem. However, since it functions ok for a time I don't think I will replace the modem until I get so frustrated I do a ball peen hammer adjustment.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2011 10:35:54 PM

hmph..ok then..

Try the steps I gave you, then leave it at that setup for those many days that you think is intermittent and see what happens
m
l
May 25, 2011 7:12:25 AM

Can you access your modem's settings page through your web browser? Check if it is assigning your computer a new internal IP each time it connects. If it is, try making this fixed. It could also be worth double-checking your ISP settings. If the Internet light is going out too, then it might be it's not talking to the Internet correctly.
m
l
June 4, 2011 12:11:06 AM

diellur said:
Can you access your modem's settings page through your web browser? Check if it is assigning your computer a new internal IP each time it connects. If it is, try making this fixed. It could also be worth double-checking your ISP settings. If the Internet light is going out too, then it might be it's not talking to the Internet correctly.

I checked the settings with a technician from AT&T Yahoo and they are correct. (I appreciate the suggestion, and should have done this before.)

The problem is still very intermittent. The technician suggested that I try borrowing a laptop with windows 7 and try it's connectivity through my current modem. That would get the modem off the hook for the problem. The problem may be in the ethernet card itself. However, swapping out cards, and modems to resolve an intermittent problem does not seem cost effective.

I guess I will stick to rebooting as a work around. At least the pc stays attached and connected as long as I have it up and running in the first place.

Thanks for all your help.
m
l
June 6, 2011 12:30:11 AM

Swapping out cards? So your old card could be not connected properly or is injecting electrical noise into the modem resulting in loss of DSL connection or is pulling too much power from your modem
m
l
June 16, 2011 1:23:57 AM

I had thought that the drivers for the Ethernet card might be the problem. I went back to Dell to see if there were drivers specific for my PC when I upgraded to Windows 7. I found that Dell did not test out my PC, 4 years old, on Windows 7 even though with an upgrade to 4 GB of RAM, from 2 GB, it works fine with Windows 7 64 Bit OS. Dell suggested I try the Vista driver instead as that should work. I am waiting until July as I will have a second PC in the house to connect and correct if something goes wrong. I'll let you know if it has any effect.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
m
l
July 5, 2011 11:40:03 PM

Final submission because I give up.
The "Vista Driver" Dell suggested for the Ethernet Card cannot be loaded on my PC. Dell provided an Intel Application to install the driver but the Intel Application cannot run on my operating system, Windows 7. I assume that the application is looking for Vista OS to load the drivers. The long and the short of it is that Dell does not support the Inspiron 530 migration to Windows 7. I guess a 4 year old desktop is an antique now. When I bought it I had to insist on Windows xp to be installed as they wanted to install Vista. So the Dell machine could not transition through one change of operating systems. I guess my next machine needs to be built by me. At least then I know what is loaded, and where I got the parts. Dell have become a little iffy for me.

Thank you all for your assistance. It is nice to know there are good people out there willing and able to help.
m
l
!