Maxx83

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Im building a PC mainly for games. I am getting the lntel core 2 extreme proccessor running at 2.93.ghz, 2GB ddr 2 ram 800mhz and a CAS latency of 5-5-5-12. Im having difficulty on deciding what video card set up I should get. I get mixed answers when I ask what performs best a single card or a SLI setup. Im looking at the 7900GTX 512mb. Im told that a SLI setup causes alot of overhead and I would lose most or all of the performance that the SLI setup would give. I do have another concern about the computer im building. A CAS latency of 5 is kinda high from what im used to. When I had DDR1 The highest CAS latency I had was 2.5. Will this affect performance much or at all?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well, you've already specified pretty much the best single card you can get, and as the CPU and RAM can't really get much better the logical advancement (if you have the budget) is SLi.

However if I was you I'd save the cash for a DX10 card, or even if you're not bothered about DX10 I would just save the cash anyway.

How big is your screen?

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Yeah, saving the cash for a dx10 card isnt a bad idea if you have the paitence for it. Just grab yourself a 7900 GT for now. Should do real nice with your system. Grab yourself an aftermarket cooler for it and OC it, make things even better.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
And actually save yourself even more cash by getting the 6600 instead of the extreme edition. For gaming you wont need that processor since most games are GPU bound anyways. 700 dollar savings could land yourself a much better monitor or speaker setup or whatever the hell you want to spend that money on.