How Much Power Do I need?

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
This is my first build and the PSU is the only thing I haven't decided on. I'll be running an E6600 (overclocked), an X1900XTX, an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, at most two optical drives and at most two hard drives (IDE and SATA respectively). How much power do I need? I've been looking at an Antec TruepowerII (550 Watts) and an OCZ GameXStream (600 Watts). Aside from wattage, the GameXStream has two more 12v rails, and I've heard it is a great power supply, but I don't want to get more than I need. Oh, and for the record, I'll probably upgrade my power supply before I get a DirectX10 video card, as the situation warrants. Thanks In advance.

MrPaladin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Cool, I can't believe I missed that. One more question, if I may: Does it matter whether I buy a PSU with a 24-pin or 20+4 pin connector? My motherboard is 24-pin.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I gave up with Antec..and on the OCZ site the 600 and 700 seem to have the same amp rateings?

EDITED for link:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_sli_ready_gamexstream_power_supply

PC P&C 510 gives a constant 34 amps @ 12 volt with a long 38 amp surge time.
510 watts constant @ 50C (twice the rateing of all other PSU's 25C) and a long surge of 650 watts.

Neither the Antec or the OCZ will ever be able to put out rated power at real operating temps (50C not 25C) nor are they as well regulated.
IE: If you can feel warm air comeing out of the PSU it is already above it's rated operating pwr/temp output.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51ASL

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Where can you get one. I found a couple that the company has on Newegg and they are over $400. Newegg has a 850w and 2 1000w versions. the 850 lists 4 12v rails with 17 amps on each rail.
These things seam a little exspecive for most people.

Almost nobody will need those larger units...the 510-ASL is more than enough. Also the way they rate power output is full constant load @ 50C (not surge @25C like all other companys).

If your rich and running 2 dual cores and 4 gfx cards it is cheaper to get two 510's and you also get more amps than the 1KW.

They are not cheep at a list price of $229 USD!
When I needed some for last builds I called them on the phone,talked with a tech and got a lower than list price. UPS showed up next working day.

I use the same MB,RAM,COOLER as others on the DFI forum but never had to raise volts get the same/better OC and end up running alot cooler as well becuase of that fact.

The reason I gave up on the Antec 550's was because they were dieing on me and takeing the MB's with them.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I should add that I also no longer use Asus MB's becuase the caps on them go out on me in less than 3 years...I only use DFI now and they make a really nice one for you guys building Intel duo.
Six stage digital server power regulation and all cooper heat sinks on the chip sets and the best capacitors found on motherboads for home/office.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=7592&LINKED_URL=arch423.jsp&SITE=NA

EDIT:That one does not show the copper chipset HS.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
This is the test unit and ...oven... that PC P&C use to test each unit befor they ship it:
easy_bake_oven.jpg

Also see this link becuse I don't want to cut/paste the other parts I wrote:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Testing-power-supply-connected-ftopict198664.html

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Neither the Antec or the OCZ will ever be able to put out rated power at real operating temps (50C not 25C) nor are they as well regulated.
IE: If you can feel warm air comeing out of the PSU it is already above it's rated operating pwr/temp output.

Why must you continually lie about this? :roll: Antec NeoHE's are rated at 50C.