Web page could not be saved?

November 3, 2004 7:00:25 PM

Trying to save this page to My Documents:
http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/guides/dvd.php
as "web page complete" get the message that it couldn't be saved to that
location. Tried a different location. Why can't I, I have no problems with
other pages?

--

Kenny

More about : web page saved

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:00:26 PM

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o yb$r1bwEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
> Trying to save this page to My Documents:
> http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/guides/dvd.php
> as "web page complete" get the message that it couldn't be saved to
> that location. Tried a different location. Why can't I, I have no
> problems with other pages?

I can't save that page either. Some pages can't be saved because of code on
the page.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net>
wrote in news:o yb$r1bwEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
> Trying to save this page to My Documents:
> http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/guides/dvd.php
> as "web page complete" get the message that it couldn't be saved to
> that location. Tried a different location. Why can't I, I have no
> problems with other pages?

Depends on how you try to save it. Since it uses script or programming
to generate web page content, a save of the page must not require
retrieving content that doesn't exist on the page but is only presented
via traffic to your browser. If you try to save that page as HTML then
it fails. IE will attempt to retrieve all content on that page but it
does NOT execute programs used in that page to retrieve all content. It
retrieves stuff like pictures, text, tags, and other content that is
actually in that page. Program-generated content is not *in* that page.
When saving as HTML, IE yanks all the content and stores it locally and
uses subdirectories to store stuff like copies of the image files. The
"Web page, complete (*.htm,*.html)" tries to retrieve everything but
will fail on program-generated content.

First try using the .mht format (Microsoft's archival HTML format which
doesn't use subdirectories to save some of the content). If that
doesn't work, try saying as "Web page, HTML only". That will only
retrieve the items that are actually in the web page without regards to
program-generated content. That means the .html file you get won't
contain that program-generated content. You'll see a difference between
using "Web page, complete" (and "Web page, Archive") because a dialog
window appears showing the progress of retrieving the content from the
web page from the *server*. The "Web page, HTML only" saves the *local*
copy of the web page as your browser rendered it (so you don't see the
download progress dialog window).

I'll provide a better example. Navigate to http://www.comcast.net/.
They use Macromedia Flash for some of the content on their web page. If
you save it as "Web page, Complete" or "Web page, Archive", a progress
dialog appears showing the download of regenerated content. They local
copy of that page will show similar to how the page displayed when you
opened that site's web page (except the "layers" they used to add Flash
content won't display, like the ads and site index on the leftside, when
using "Web page, Complete" but they do appear if you use "Web page,
Archive"). Now save it as "Web page, HTML only". No download progress
window appears. When you open that local copy, the HTML still has the
links to image files but there are no local copies of the image files so
images don't display. The same for links to other other web pages. All
links get changed to be a local reference (because you wanted a local
copy of just the HTML in that web page), you only saved the HTML for
*that* web page, so the links points to a local file that doesn't exist.
Because the scripts or programs were not downloaded (they are called by
the web page on the *server* and are not part of the web page), the
links to them won't work, either.

If you are interested in retrieving only the content of the current
display web page then save using "Web page, HTML only" to save the local
copy already displayed in your browser (realizing that links and images
won't work).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;235589
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296341

So pick a different save format to see if a different one will work.
From IE's own help under the topic "Save a Web page on your computer":

To save a Web page on your computer
1. On the File menu, click Save As.
2. Double-click the folder you want to save the page in.
3. In the File name box, type a name for the page.
4. In the Save as type box, select a file type.
5. Do one of the following:
* To save all of the files needed to display this page, including
graphics, frames, and style sheets, click Web Page, complete. This
option saves each file in its original format.
* To save all of the information needed to display this page in a
single MIME-encoded file, click Web Archive. This option saves a
snapshot of the current Web page. This option is available only if you
have installed Outlook Express 5 or later.
* To save just the current HTML page, click Web Page, HTML only. This
option saves the information on the Web page, but it does not save the
graphics, sounds, or other files.
* To save just the text from the current Web page, click Text Only.
This option saves the information on the Web page in straight text
format.
Notes
- With Web Page, complete and Web Archive, you can view all of the Web
page offline, without adding the page to your Favorites list and marking
it for offline viewing.
- When you choose Web Page, complete, only the current page is saved. If
you want to view Web pages and the pages they link to while offline,
click Related Topics below.

November 3, 2004 9:40:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q235589
and changing the "save as" type to "Web page.complete (*.htm*.html)" solved
the problem.

--

Kenny

"Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
> [...]
> * To save just the current HTML page, click Web Page, HTML only. This
> option saves the information on the Web page, but it does not save the
> graphics, sounds, or other files.
> * To save just the text from the current Web page, click Text Only.
> This option saves the information on the Web page in straight text
> format.
> Notes
> - With Web Page, complete and Web Archive, you can view all of the Web
> page offline, without adding the page to your Favorites list and marking
> it for offline viewing.
> - When you choose Web Page, complete, only the current page is saved. If
> you want to view Web pages and the pages they link to while offline,
> click Related Topics below.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

November 4, 2004 2:43:04 AM

> Thanks for the replies. Found this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q235589
> and changing the "save as" type to "Web page.complete (*.htm*.html)"
> solved
> the problem.
>

> "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;235589
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296341

That was one of the links provided in my reply.

November 14, 2004 1:19:03 PM

http://personal1.iddeo.es/andresgarci/getleft/english/
That's a great free software witch downloads webpages as they look

!