Sign in with
Your question

How Can I Keep The New Intel E6600 Dual Cores In Synch?

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2006 10:54:28 PM

:o  Well it's been week one with my new & first dual-core system. See hardware specs at the bottom.
How Can I Keep my new E6600 Dual Core Synchronized?
I have an ASUS P5B with 1GB (512x2) Buffalo DDR2 667/5300 of RAM (for now). I had to send out the OCZ DDR2/6400 2GB's of ram for reflashing.
I gotta ask. I searched for the string in the forum before asking & didn't come up with anything specific to this topic.

The scenario that made me aware of this:
I noticed while using Nerovision that when either creating chapters or burning video or music to CD or DVD the CPU cores would often go out of sync every now and then. Is this normal? :?
In the Windows Task Manager one CPU core would say 70-81% utilization, while the otherside would say 6-15% utilization & at other times the cores would alternate states. Huhhh!!!!
Anyone know how to keep them in sync via registry mod or something or is this even possible under Windows XP Service Pack2? 8O Is this normal? Thanks guys.
September 3, 2006 11:11:17 PM

Ahh... I think any system will do that.

The sync that your talking about...

Is it when the audio tends to fall behind? (example, you see the explosion, then hear it?)

It has been a long while since I was messing with that. :lol: 
September 3, 2006 11:16:59 PM

Come to think of that it's also doing that.

But I was referring to keeping both cores in sync for mostly anything if at all possible. Isn't the point of having two cores so that when you hand the cPU a task it can divide the chores between two cores to do it quicker & maybe more efficiently?
Related resources
September 3, 2006 11:17:44 PM

Hence the question... is this normal behavior?
Thanks.
September 3, 2006 11:21:21 PM

Thinking about it, my example maybe backwards.. you hear it 1st, then see it happen.

It has to do with the recording phase. The longer the film or media, somewhere in the middle of the recording, something falls behind.

I can't remember how to fix that type of problem. And yes, I'd say thats normal for any system.

Edit: actually I never did fix that problem I had with video/audio going out of sync. I think it had to do with the compression ratio's between the the 2.
September 3, 2006 11:25:20 PM

What your seeing is normal do not worry. Try firing up some other CPU intensive apps at the same time and watch the CPU load on each core. Mostly windows will schedule the cores to make best use of them. What your seeing is windows scheduling the thread of execution across the cores depending on appliocation load and number of threads its using at the time. Some applications can be forced to run on a specific core if you want but i wouldnt try messing with scheduling unless you really know what your doing otherwise youll just end up slowing your system down. If you want to try this out Folding@home does this. Follow their guide for configuring their apps to run on each core. Not helpful to you question but fun.
September 3, 2006 11:35:35 PM

I think I read too much at 1 time.

I use Nerovision before, and put together the sync as far as video and audio.

But now that I see he's also stating each core not being used at the same usage, I see what you were saying.
September 4, 2006 2:58:31 AM

Aaahhh sooo, Qui-Gon Jinn.
My bad. I was getting ahead of myself & didn't stop to think about the current state of software. You're so correct in software hasn't caught up yet. I was already thinking in terms of parallel processing for exmple work on one thread.
In terms of carpentry, it is better to build a wall using two carpenters than it is to have a carpenter standing around watching while the laboror does all the work on erecting the wall. I thought this would've applied by now, but being that applications are still single threaded, for the most part, developers have some catching up to do.

I am still a young Jedi in the world of PC's. May the force be with you for enlightening me.
September 4, 2006 3:36:10 AM

Yeah, those things are normal. Why I don't know. Mine does the same thing like when burning. Cpu0 is like at 30% and Cpu1 is at 50%. The only time they go about then same is when I play games like BF2.
September 4, 2006 6:04:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that (not the BaronBS part of course :wink: ).
As I've said here a few months ago. In single-threaded application where it's under 100% load, both of my AthlonMP raised in temperature in according to the amount of load shown in task manager. :?

If I assign affinity to one core, that core heats up, the other drops to idle temperature and vice-versa.
Or is that just with dual processor, but not dual-core?

Dual processor, dual core, dual smores...
Let me have a moment of ignorance & weakness here...
WHO CARES? I just want double the power (until quads comeout), twice the bang being thrown at the task at hand without a 1000 PC/CPU farm out west. i.e. my 40 min. family home videos shouldn't take 4-6hrs just to add in one plain DVD menu, maybe a blurb here & there, splicing out 10 seconds, here & there & then finally rendering, encoding, then burning to disc. I believe the whole process shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. 80min. CD's should take 20 seconds to burn.
...maybe when Star Wars Episodes 7,8, & 9 come out, when Windows has been renamed to BEDS, BATH & BEYOND & when 24 core CPU's become available...
...Sorry, ignorance moment over.
Am I asking for too much too soon? I feel like I'm trapped in an episode of "LOST IN SPACE".

Thanks guys for the wealth of info & the intellectual views & opinions.
Keep it coming, men & beings alike.
September 4, 2006 6:39:43 AM

Just use a multithreaded app like TMPGenc, it'll put both cores to work, that's what I use to encode my media (hey, fansub is not piracy IMHO!).

Keep in mind that creating the output and burning DVDs doesn't require a lot of work from the CPU(s), it is the media encoding part (AVI to M2V for example) that really put the CPU(s) to work...
!