Automaticully calculating folder size

Hello,

in Windows 2003 Server and XP the explorer counts automaticully the folder
size. Because we have an application which uses more then 200.000 folders in
one directory (don't ask me why) it takes a lot time to count the folder
size when you start the explorer. Also when using de indexing services the
computer needs at least 5 minutes to calculate the folder size (or the
computer is doing other things I don't know!)

AnY suggestions?

Can I stop the automated folder calculating behavior of the explorer?
How can I fasten up the performance when browsing through this directory
?(without bying new software)

thnx,

Marco J.L.
1 answer Last reply
More about automaticully calculating folder size

    For explorer, try the following:-
    1. Open My Computer
    2. Click on Tools, then Folder Options
    3. Click on the View tab
    4. Uncheck the "Display filesize information in folder tips"

    For the IndexService, uninstall it or set its startup type to disabled, open
    the services snap-in from administrative tools and search for the indexing
    service and disable it

    --
    Yours truly,
    Mohammed A. Raslan

    "Marco J.L." <luyendyk@yahoo.com.news> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > in Windows 2003 Server and XP the explorer counts automaticully the folder
    > size. Because we have an application which uses more then 200.000 folders
    in
    > one directory (don't ask me why) it takes a lot time to count the folder
    > size when you start the explorer. Also when using de indexing services the
    > computer needs at least 5 minutes to calculate the folder size (or the
    > computer is doing other things I don't know!)
    >
    > AnY suggestions?
    >
    > Can I stop the automated folder calculating behavior of the explorer?
    > How can I fasten up the performance when browsing through this directory
    > ?(without bying new software)
    >
    > thnx,
    >
    > Marco J.L.

Windows Server 2003 Explorer Windows