VLANs: do all switches in a route have to support it?

Anthony Chavez <acc@anthonychavez.org> writes:

>Hi, all. Again, a similar configration:

> [X]--------[X]----------O
>switch A switch B station A

>If switch A supports 801.2Q VLANs, and switch B doesn't, will the
>stations that connect to switch B be able to participate in different
>VLANs (as configured on switch A), or will all such stations be forced
>into the VLAN that the port on switch A is assigned, to which switch B
>is connected?

All stations will be ale to participate in different VLANS, IF AND WHEN
THEY USE TAGGING THEMSELVES. Non-.1q frames should be passed through
by ancient switches, at least for as long as they don't exceed the
maximum frame sizes (i.e. maybe you'll have to set MTU to 1496 on
each tagging station A.

However, when you configure switch B's oort on switch A as an access port
without tagging, and with an explicit single VLAN membership, as the second
part of your question implies - then they won't be able to do so!

best regards
Patrick

I would configure switch B port on A to have the VLANs i want my end
stations to participate in. This though will require your end stations
to have 802.1Q NICs.