Case:Lian Li V Cool
Memory: 2Gig Mushkin DDR 800
HD: 150gig WD Raptor
Soundcard: Creative XFI XtremeMusic
Videocard: XFX GeForce 6800 xtreme 256mb
Wireless networking: Belkin – N1 Wireless-N Desktop Card
CD/DVD: LG
CD/DVD burner: Plextor

Now I'm having some problems with this setup. Problems include freezing or signal to monitor disappearing (machine is still running but monitor goes into sleep mode after putting the "no signal" box on the screen). Any help is greatly appreciated. I would think that this is a problem with the video card, but as this is my first complete build I'm looking to see if I'm right.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
First check the connections, make sure the card is fully seated. If you get to the OS before it freezes or signal loss, it could be a driver issue. Try using the default driver first and go from their.

pcallaghan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
A little better explanation of everything... maybe it will help more.

From what I see all connections are good. When I first booted up everything seemed fine, only one beep and such. I then proceeded to install Vista x64 and that went without a flaw and was able to get in. But because of the hardware I have was not compatible with 64 bit systems I tried to do an xp install to ensure everything was working. When I did this is went fine, however when I installed the driver for the graphics card it froze. So I rebooted and this happened again. I've been pretty much stuck with this ever since. I even tried reformatting the drive and doing that all over, but this does not seem to be helping.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Is the system freezing during the initial startup run when Windows selects the "best" driver for the 'Found New Hardware' screen?
Which driver are you trying to install when it freezes?
Are you selecting the generic windows driver or are you using the Venders CD? If the system works fine with the generic windows driver then you need to download the updated driver from the vender. If you are using the most up to date driver try using and older one.
Sadly, it is touch and go with hardware drivers.
Also, didn't think of this before, check your IRQ setting in your BIOS, make sure there are no conflicts.