PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 9, 2004 9:53:16 PM

Hello !
I´d like to place the PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks at the SAN Storage.
There is some problem ?

thanks,
Rubens
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:53:17 PM

Doesn't sound feasible to me. If there are heavy loads on SAN the
paging system will be delayed and the operating will (most likely) crash
or freeze and require a reboot. The operating system needs fastest
access possible to the pagefile and what you are describing doesn't seem
to fit the bill IMHO. I've read about booting Windows off SAN some time
ago and it seems to me that MS recommends that (even in that
environment) that the pagefile be placed on a local disk. But I can't
find that MS article just now.

John

Rubens Luque Sanches Jr. wrote:
> Hello !
> I´d like to place the PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks at the SAN Storage.
> There is some problem ?
>
> thanks,
> Rubens

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:21:54 AM

"Rubens Luque Sanches Jr." <rsanches@service.com.br> wrote in
news:o PsfdEj3EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Hello !
> I´d like to place the PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks at the SAN
> Storage. There is some problem ?
>
> thanks,
> Rubens

There is not usually a problem with putting a page file on the SAN. As
long as there are no pathing problems with the SAN it will work. What
you don't want to do is setup 2 page files, one on a local drive and one
on a SAN drive. If there is a timing problem you can get a Kernel Inpage
stop error.

Leonard Severt

Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.