PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks

Hello !
I´d like to place the PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks at the SAN Storage.
There is some problem ?

thanks,
Rubens
2 answers Last reply
More about pagefile external disks

    Doesn't sound feasible to me. If there are heavy loads on SAN the
    paging system will be delayed and the operating will (most likely) crash
    or freeze and require a reboot. The operating system needs fastest
    access possible to the pagefile and what you are describing doesn't seem
    to fit the bill IMHO. I've read about booting Windows off SAN some time
    ago and it seems to me that MS recommends that (even in that
    environment) that the pagefile be placed on a local disk. But I can't
    find that MS article just now.

    John

    "Rubens Luque Sanches Jr." <rsanches@service.com.br> wrote in

    > Hello !
    > I´d like to place the PAGEFILE.SYS on external disks at the SAN
    > Storage. There is some problem ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Rubens

    There is not usually a problem with putting a page file on the SAN. As
    long as there are no pathing problems with the SAN it will work. What
    you don't want to do is setup 2 page files, one on a local drive and one
    on a SAN drive. If there is a timing problem you can get a Kernel Inpage
    stop error.

    Leonard Severt

    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.