Cannot read NTFS data drive moved from Win 2k server to Wi..

Please help.
From my Windows 2000 SP4 Server, I did copy to move 100G data from RAID-5
SCSI drive (Dynamic drive with NTFS format) to a 250G IDE drive (Basic drive
with NTFS format). And then I attached that 250G IDE drive to my Windows 2000
SP4 Professional workstation as secondary master. Windows 2000 SP4
Professional Disk Management can see a healthy partition on that 250G IDE
drive but cannot see file system nor data at all. If I browse that 250G IDE
drive from Windows Explorer, I will get message like "The disk in drive D is
not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". I have tried this twice from
the same server to different workstations, the results are the same. All
three machines (one server and two workstations) are using Intel P4
motherboard with latest BIOS updated and all three machines can recoganize
250G IDE drive without problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot read ntfs data drive moved server

    =?Utf-8?B?WU9ZTyBIVU5H?= <YOYO HUNG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Please help.
    > From my Windows 2000 SP4 Server, I did copy to move 100G data from
    > RAID-5 SCSI drive (Dynamic drive with NTFS format) to a 250G IDE drive
    > (Basic drive with NTFS format). And then I attached that 250G IDE
    > drive to my Windows 2000 SP4 Professional workstation as secondary
    > master. Windows 2000 SP4 Professional Disk Management can see a
    > healthy partition on that 250G IDE drive but cannot see file system
    > nor data at all. If I browse that 250G IDE drive from Windows
    > Explorer, I will get message like "The disk in drive D is not
    > formatted. Do you want to format it now?". I have tried this twice
    > from the same server to different workstations, the results are the
    > same. All three machines (one server and two workstations) are using
    > Intel P4 motherboard with latest BIOS updated and all three machines
    > can recoganize 250G IDE drive without problem.

    I don't see why this is happening. There should not be a problem here
    unless there some weird IDE translation problem between the machines. I
    assume you are just using Disk Managment to create the partition. If you
    repartition the drive on the Workstation so it works with it can you
    then take it to the Server and copy data to it?

    Leonard Severt

    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.

    Might be this hasn't been applied to the workstation?

    48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" wrote
    | I don't see why this is happening. There should not be a problem here
    | unless there some weird IDE translation problem between the machines. I
    | assume you are just using Disk Managment to create the partition. If you
    | repartition the drive on the Workstation so it works with it can you
    | then take it to the Server and copy data to it?
    |
    | Leonard Severt
    |
    | Microsoft Enterprise Support
    |
    | --
    | rights.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Might be this hasn't been applied to the workstation?
    >
    > 48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" wrote
    > | I don't see why this is happening. There should not be a problem here
    > | unless there some weird IDE translation problem between the machines. I
    > | assume you are just using Disk Managment to create the partition. If you
    > | repartition the drive on the Workstation so it works with it can you
    > | then take it to the Server and copy data to it?
    > |
    > | Leonard Severt
    > |
    > | Microsoft Enterprise Support
    > |
    > | --
    > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    > | rights.

    I have had this on an XP workstation, moved a hard drive from one pc to a
    second PC, so I could copy the data off. But the PC could not "see" the
    data on the disk, moved it back to the original PC and it to could not "see"
    the data any more! It seemed that ether XP or the Antivirus program
    (Norton) had written to the first part of the disk..........the data is
    still on the disk and using some data recovery software to replace the MBR
    got to the data. Now we do this 3 or 4 time a day and it has only happened
    twice!

    Hope this shines some light onto your problem....

    Kind regards

    James Mawson
    www.directsos.co.uk

NTFS Servers Windows 2000 Windows