File Server Backup System?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Can you share to me your current backup system with regards to backing up
File server? In my case, I've been backing up these files on my DLT tape
drive since 2003 and I am thinking if I need to buy a new set of tapes for
next year or do I need to rotate/reuse my old backup (2003). Can you give me
suggestions?

Me

"A P" <ap@textguru.ph> wrote in message
> Can you share to me your current backup system with regards to backing up
> File server? In my case, I've been backing up these files on my DLT tape
> drive since 2003 and I am thinking if I need to buy a new set of tapes for
> next year or do I need to rotate/reuse my old backup (2003). Can you give
me
> suggestions?
>
> Me

I use five sets of tapes (Mon-Fri). My backups run with the
verify switch off, except for the run that occurs every 8
calendar days.

The rationale is simple: There is little point in verifying a backup
run unless someone examines the log. Once every eight days
my client is sent a backup/verify report, which he examines.
When a tape goes bad then he replaces it.

If a customer cannot afford to lose a single backup run then
you have to examine each and every backup report, and
replace each tape when it throws up an error.