soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Hey, I just recently got a new System:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
2*512mb - 1GB DDR2 533 in dual (4-5-5-15-17-1T)
Geforce 7600 GT OC
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

And I had read all about the memory timings from many different sites and thought I had it figured out.

So I go into my Bios and I change the timings to 3-4-4-13-1T (had it changed to 1T from 2T a while ago)

the first time I tried it and loaded HOLY CRAP did it ever fly. But, it was short lived, it got to windows, went in, was fine, but i shut it down to try a CPU OC and it wouldnt start. So I tuned it off, then turned it back on again and went into the bios, the only thing I had changed was the timings so I changed them all back.

Turned it back on and it was fine again. So I figured I'd try the timings a gain. So I went back in, downed my CPU to stock, and tried upping my ram again. I restarted it, and the text and everythign was all.. Screwd up to say the least. I was able to get it back down to normal again thankfully and restarted. So me being stubborn, wanted that speed back. I went back in and changed only some of the timings. Nothing worked.

So now im here asking if anyone has any suggestions on why it's doing that?

I think they are samsung ram pieces, if you need to know for certain, I can look into it.

Added
Shoot. I didn't see the other forum, didnt realize it was Memory chips under 3D. If you care to move it, i wouldn't mind :( sorry for hassle

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Frequency: 268.6Mhz
FSB:DRAM: CPU/8
CAS: 4
RAS to CAS: 5
RAS Pre: 5
Tras: 15
Trc: 17
Command Rate: 1T

Voltage was somthing I didnt take down. I will check what it is at now though.

Going to shut it down get you the Brand model and voltage.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Brand is Samsung
DDR2 Voltage: Auto according to bios, cant find where it says that.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1625

Also, other things said in bios:

PCIE Clock, CPU voltage were also set to Auto.

HT Volt - 1.2v
Chip Core Volt - 1.4v
chip standby Volt - 1.4v
Chip PCI-E Volt -1.5v
CPU Vcore offset - disabled

Aswell, I jsut thought of CPU-Z, ill check some from that if i can find anyhting.

Found a timing table.. omg..

Freq: ----------200mhz-----266mhz-----266mhz
CAS: -------------3.0----------4.0-----------5.0--
RAStoCAS:--------4------------5--------------5---
RAS Pre: ----------4------------5--------------5---
Tras:--------------12-----------15-------------15--
Trc:---------------12-----------16--------------16-

Mondoman

Splendid
So I go into my Bios and I change the timings to 3-4-4-13-1T
You didn't list the model number of your RAM module, or what speed/timings it is rated at. The point I was trying to get at is: why did you think that setting faster timings would work? Did the manufacturer/vendor sell you the module as able to run under faster timings at DDR2-533? If so, what were those timings, and what memory voltage did they use to get them?

PS - If your memory voltage is set to "auto", that just means it's at the standard DDR2 voltage of 1.8V.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
So I go into my Bios and I change the timings to 3-4-4-13-1T
You didn't list the model number of your RAM module, or what speed/timings it is rated at. The point I was trying to get at is: why did you think that setting faster timings would work? Did the manufacturer/vendor sell you the module as able to run under faster timings at DDR2-533? If so, what were those timings, and what memory voltage did they use to get them?

PS - If your memory voltage is set to "auto", that just means it's at the standard DDR2 voltage of 1.8V.

Thank's for trying to help, I can't get the Model number off of it, i have all these numbers but the only one that googles is the number of the chip's that are on it, but they are used in other memory too, like corsair. The guy told me he was giving me good Dual channeling Samsung ram that should be able to clock faster. But maybe he was wrong or i heard wrong. I guess I can live with a slower speed, but damn im going to miss that 5 second windows load. That was so sweet lol.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I found this in the manual, maybe it's right. I don't know:

Model: zce6k4t51083qc - SidE:SS - Component: M378t6553cz0-ce6

Mondoman

Splendid
The "component" number seems to be the model # for the DIMM. Based on that, your DIMMs should be able to run at DDR2-667, but only at 5-5-5 timing. Given your system, I think you're getting better performance at the current DDR2-533/CL4 setting.

Mondoman

Splendid
It depends on your components and on what programs you run. I wouldn't worry about it; even small improvements of a few percent in performance will cost you upwards of $100 from this point.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
True, only thing to do now, is to upgrade from a 3800 to a 4000 class cpu, and it's not to much of a difference, or to buy a new harddrive, and raid them, or to go to ddr2 667 / ddr2 800 / 2g / corsair.

And those upgrades, like you said, aren't cheap.

Best thing to do in my mind is to wait for Vista to come out and be a little more accepted i guess you could say, get a new 60nm processor and dx10 card, I expect a bit more of a jump in power from what i have now.

Thank's for working with me, I bought everyone not retail (OEM?) so I didn't get anything but the peices on most parts (ram, HD, dvdrom)/

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, I think in six months' time Core2Duo will be cheaper & competing AMD will also be cheaper. Dx10 and vista will be out as you said, so the market should be a bit more settled, with some bargains on today's highest-end technology.