Windows Explorer is slow

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 20, 2004 10:03:08 AM

This is a problem that I've had for a while. When I try to access files
through windows explorer or within the program via the open command, it takes
a very, very long time. It seems to freeze because the windows explorer box
turns white and will take up to a minute to show the drive list. Clicking on
a drive and accessing subdirectories takes an additional minute or two.
Listed below is information about my environment and some troubleshooting
avenues I have tried. I'm trying to avoid doing a re-installation. I would
greatly appreciate some advice!

My environment: I have a Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 GHz with Windows 2000 Pro
and 768 MB RAM. Storage on C: drive is FAT32. Drive size = 18.6 Gb with 8.3
GB available. I'm on a Novell network with 9 other users.

Things I've already tried or have noticed:
1. No other users on the network report similar problems to mine.
2. I have the oldest computer in the office.
3. The slow issue comes up whether I'm the only user connected to the
network or the 9th.
4. The slow issue RESOLVES when I unplug myself from the network.
5. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to clean my computer weekly with no improvement
to this problem.
6. I have performed clean disk and defrag operations and see no performance
improvement.
7. I have increased memory from 256 MB to 728 MB.
8. Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition scans my computer daily and checks my
email for viruses. I don't suspect a virus but who knows?
9. I use Mail Washer to filter my email and block spam.
10. All Windows Updates are kept up to date.
11. Deleted temp folders.
12. I've checked the Processes tab on Windows Task Manager to see if
anything is draining the system, but that seems to check out okay.

More about : windows explorer slow

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:19:17 PM

luv4legs214 wrote:
> This is a problem that I've had for a while. When I try to access
> files through windows explorer or within the program via the open
> command, it takes a very, very long time. It seems to freeze because
> the windows explorer box turns white and will take up to a minute to
> show the drive list. Clicking on a drive and accessing
> subdirectories takes an additional minute or two. Listed below is
> information about my environment and some troubleshooting avenues I
> have tried. I'm trying to avoid doing a re-installation. I would
> greatly appreciate some advice!
>
> My environment: I have a Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 GHz with Windows
> 2000 Pro and 768 MB RAM. Storage on C: drive is FAT32. Drive size =
> 18.6 Gb with 8.3 GB available. I'm on a Novell network with 9 other
> users.
>
> Things I've already tried or have noticed:
> 1. No other users on the network report similar problems to mine.
> 2. I have the oldest computer in the office.
> 3. The slow issue comes up whether I'm the only user connected to the
> network or the 9th.
> 4. The slow issue RESOLVES when I unplug myself from the network.
> 5. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to clean my computer weekly with no
> improvement to this problem.
> 6. I have performed clean disk and defrag operations and see no
> performance improvement.
> 7. I have increased memory from 256 MB to 728 MB.
> 8. Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition scans my computer daily and
> checks my email for viruses. I don't suspect a virus but who knows?
> 9. I use Mail Washer to filter my email and block spam.
> 10. All Windows Updates are kept up to date.
> 11. Deleted temp folders.
> 12. I've checked the Processes tab on Windows Task Manager to see if
> anything is draining the system, but that seems to check out okay.

Replied in another group.
!