Going Modular _ PLEASE I NEED A REPLY TO MY POST

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Well, I am in the process of buying my PC componenets for my first time homebuild. Now I have decided on the GPU and CPU I want, have got a PSU but theres two different version.

One is modular.
The other is not.

Is there any real gain of going modular? Apart from having only the wires you need, whats the real benefit? I just need a reason to spend an extra £12. :D

Edit:
Okie then, the system being built is as follows:

Mobo: Asus A8N sli se Nforce 4(something like that)

CPU: Amd athlon 64 X2 3800 SKt 939
http://www.savastore.com/productinf...store&product_id=10283352&pid=204&rstrat=8880

GPU: ATI Radeon X1800XT 256mb GDDR3
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html

RAM:1 X 1GB (may be expanded to 3/4GB)

PSU: Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Black UV
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper_Power_Supplies.html

All I need to buy now is the processor,the graphics card and the power supply.
Enough for my problem to be solved?

Well, I am in the process of buying my PC componenets for my first time homebuild. Now I have decided on the GPU and CPU I want, have got a PSU but theres two different version.

One is modular.
The other is not.

Is there any real gain of going modular? Apart from having only the wires you need, whats the real benefit? I just need a reason to spend an extra £12. :D

Which PSU's are they? no-one will be able to offer an opinion worth listening to without it. And whilst you are at it, whats the rest of the system look like?

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
So dont go modular? WEell, it only seems that it will get rid of clutter, and I dont see how this clutter will affect my PC, and I havent got a side panel with which to see through my PC case, so modular power isnt required?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Oh I'm not saying either way. My reasoning for putting up that link is because you will see people talk about resitance this (because of the extra connections), resitance that, yada yada yada and the truth of the matter is that there are some modular PSUs that are less resistant than some very notable PSUs. I was just giving you more options by giving you more information about modular PSUs.

For myself, I have two different rigs - one is a secondary computer but my main one is going to be powered by an Enermax Galaxy, which is the 1000w MODULAR PSU. I've dealt with enough modular PSUs in the past and they've all served me well so it just comes down to personal preference.

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Gotta thankyou for replying Phreejak :D

Well, it does look pretty, costs an extra £12, wont be seeing inside my case unless I mod it or something.

Reckon it would be safe to cut a window in the side panel? And then just add a persepx sheet or something like that behind it, then I have a window :D

Hmm, will buy the non-modular one then and buy a 6 socket surge protector for my new rig. Got a lot of stuff hooked up here ya know :p

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
modding is half the fun when building your own computer. I have a CM Stacker case and I've modded the heck out of it - adding a side window with a blowhole, a window with a blowhole at the top and all sorts of alterations inside.

Good luck with the build.

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Cheers and thanks for the help :)

Will ask if my dad if I can cut a window in the side :)
And will probably use tint on the perspex, make shapes on it and stuff :)

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you are able to add a window you might consider some bling like, perhaps, a dual cold cathode light setup, to illuminate the interior of your case so you can see it through the window.

what internal power does does your mobo say it needs? should be either 20 or 24 pin ATX and will probably say 4pin Aux power or something similar, then make sure that yoiur PSU also does that.

You can convert from 20 to 24 pin and vice versa if needed.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Modular also has the advantage of less cables = better airflow, but then if you are like me you loose things that are not attached :D

Mine is not modular, and I'm not someone that is overly fussed on how my PC *looks*, and its covered in fans anyway.

Plus I got a great deal on my PSU, which is always a good deciding factor :D

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The 20 pin main power cable only has one 12 volt line. The 24 pin connector added one line apiece for ground, 3.3, 5, and 12 volts. The extra 4 pins are not separate rails. They're just extra lines to provide more current to the same rails. you can plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin motherboard and it will work just fine. At least, it will for a while. They added those extra 4 pins for a reason. When you plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin connector you're not providing the extra current carrying capacity which may be needed by the motherboard.

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
??
Im panicking here, have I just bought thw rong PSU? I know it will work, but will the 20-24 pin connector damage my system or wont make it work?

Comes with a 3 year warranty, should be ok then?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
no, you'll be fine.

It won't damage your system at all.

You've just learned about something new, now, and you can be mindful of it in the future when you upgrade again.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I have a Hiper 580w, so here is my take on them.
The modular is nice, the psu is doing everything I need it to do, it's shiny.
I got mine for a crossfire mobo thinking that I might add a second card later.
The primary PCI-E cable comes right off the psu- great. The adapter for the 2nd PCI-E is implemented by connecting it to 2 - 4pin molex connectors.
Essentially, if I add a 2nd video, I will be hooking up the modular ports I was previously omitting. Since you already ordered it, deal with it, it will be fine.
Other than the above issue, I love mine, it's quiet and solid.
Good luck

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Ah okie then :)
Was worried it would break the PSU or something, but the waranty should cover it.

Next system build should be around 2008, when AM3 is released and has matured for a bit, maybe you guys will still be here :D

add me ?

TRENDING THREADS