Deleting Temp Files

Hi,
Looked in my Temp folder today and found quite a bit of stuff that
could not be deleted through Disk Cleanup in systems tools. Actually,
Disk Cleanup will not run at all. It will start but appear to hang
even if I leave it running all day. Anyway, viewed the temp folder
and found a Temporary Internet Files folder with an Content.IE5 folder
inside. I checked the Content.IE5 folder and found 7 folders
contained inside of it. I had to manually go through each folder and
delete files. However, there are several (about 15) files I cannot
delete. The file names for these folders are unbelievably long such
as the following:
roller_sneakers_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrtogZ1QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsacategory

It will not let me delete these files through Disk Cleanup or manually
deleting them one at a time. Anyone know what this is all about? How
do I delete them?

I also attempted to reboot in safe mode but still will not let me
delete. Thanks.

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/File-System-Deleting-Temp-ftopict240777.html

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Joejohn wrote...
> Hi,
> Looked in my Temp folder today and found quite a bit of stuff that
> could not be deleted through Disk Cleanup in systems tools. Actually,
> Disk Cleanup will not run at all. It will start but appear to hang
> even if I leave it running all day. Anyway, viewed the temp folder
> and found a Temporary Internet Files folder with an Content.IE5 folder
> inside. I checked the Content.IE5 folder and found 7 folders
> contained inside of it. I had to manually go through each folder and
> delete files. However, there are several (about 15) files I cannot
> delete. The file names for these folders are unbelievably long such
> as the following:
> roller_sneakers_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrtogZ1QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsacategory

Please confirm that the TIF folder is not inside the temp folder?

You should logout, then login as a different user with administrative rights,
and delete the whole TIF folder. It will be recreated next time you log in.

"user3490" wrote:
> Joejohn wrote...
> > Hi,
> > Looked in my Temp folder today and found quite a bit of
> stuff that
> > could not be deleted through Disk Cleanup in systems tools.
> Actually,
> > Disk Cleanup will not run at all. It will start but appear
> to hang
> > even if I leave it running all day. Anyway, viewed the temp
> folder
> > and found a Temporary Internet Files folder with an
> Content.IE5 folder
> > inside. I checked the Content.IE5 folder and found 7
> folders
> > contained inside of it. I had to manually go through each
> folder and
> > delete files. However, there are several (about 15) files I
> cannot
> > delete. The file names for these folders are unbelievably
> long such
> > as the following:
> >
> roller_sneakers_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrtogZ1QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsa
> category
>

> Please confirm that the TIF folder is not inside the temp
> folder?
>
> You should logout, then login as a different user with
> administrative rights,
> and delete the whole TIF folder. It will be recreated next
> time you log in.

Hey,

How do I log on as a different user? I have Win 2000 Pro and I don’t
have to use any kind of login. Thanks.

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/File-System-Deleting-Temp-ftopict240777.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=730755

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Joejohn wrote...
> "user3490" wrote:

> > You should logout, then login as a different user with
> > administrative rights,
> > and delete the whole TIF folder. It will be recreated next
> > time you log in.
>
> Hey,
>
> How do I log on as a different user? I have Win 2000 Pro and I don’t
> have to use any kind of login. Thanks.

First,
Please fix your newsreader to display the correct attribution

You are currently using the autologin feature for Windows 2000, so you will
probably need to create a new user and put them in the administrators group.
But before you do this you need to make sure that you know the correct password
for the account you are currently using. The safest way to do that is probably
to try changing your current password to something you can write down for when
you have to enter it.

I suggest you STW if don't know how to do that, but you will find the relevant
tools inside 'Computer Management' which is probably inside the Control Panel,
or you can choose 'Start->Run' and enter either
compmgmt.msc
or
lusrmgr.msc

You will then need to log off, and you can set this if you right-click on the
taskbar, choose 'properties', click the 'advanced' tab, and check 'Display
logoff'. But make sure you have the password, or at least the power to reset it.

Joejohn wrote:
> Hi,
> Looked in my Temp folder today and found quite a bit of stuff that
> could not be deleted through Disk Cleanup in systems tools. Actually,
> Disk Cleanup will not run at all. It will start but appear to hang
> even if I leave it running all day. Anyway, viewed the temp folder
> and found a Temporary Internet Files folder with an Content.IE5 folder
> inside. I checked the Content.IE5 folder and found 7 folders
> contained inside of it. I had to manually go through each folder and
> delete files. However, there are several (about 15) files I cannot
> delete. The file names for these folders are unbelievably long such
> as the following:
> roller_sneakers_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrtogZ1QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsacategory
> ..
>
> It will not let me delete these files through Disk Cleanup or manually
> deleting them one at a time. Anyone know what this is all about? How
> do I delete them?
>
> I also attempted to reboot in safe mode but still will not let me
> delete. Thanks.

If Disk Cleanup is hanging on "compress old files" see
http://www.jsiinc.com/subl/tip5900/rh5920.htm

For your temp files in IE - empty them in IE itself (tools, internet
options, delete files)
In the command line, you could also try

del <full path to temporary internet files> /s /f /q <enter>
and see if that works - it could take a while.

Set IE to empty temp internet files when you close the browser, in the
internet options | advanced tab.