SATA II HDD PROBLEM WD2500JS ON ASUS P4P800

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Hello My name is Aldin and i have ASUS P4P800 motherboard with bios installed 1019.
Yesterday i bought two HDD SATA 2 fromWesterndigital WD2500JS.
On my motherboard now i have two hdd 2x120 GB sata 1 working as raid 0.Windows xp pro installed on that configuration working perfectly.But i wanted to exemine these discs with new one,becouse i need more space on my computer.I installed these discs (wd2500JS),as same way when i was installed last discs.Motherboard was recognized discs as 250 Gb wd2500js regulary,and i set them to work in RAID0.When i try to format these discs (installing windows xp pro sp1,F6 set intel ICH5r driver from floppy latest version) format freeze on 35 %.I tryed format several time but nothing.Later i try to format disks one by one with no raid.First disks freeze on 16%,and second on 25%.Later i tryed same way with old discs (2x120 gb maxtor SATA1 6y120mo 1,5gb/s and i dont have any problems with them.Next i tryed formating with two hdd 2x80 gb wd800jb,and i don t have any problem with them also.
New disks which i bought WD2500JS i try to format on second computer which has SATA 2.0 controler integrated on motherboard (A8N-SLI Premium),and format pass very well with no any errors.

On Western-digital site i read that these discs wd2500js is tested with Asus motherboard P4C800,witch have ICH5r controler integrated also as my motherboard P4P800.Latest Intel raid rom version for P4P800 is 3.5.3.0003 ,but for Asus P4C800 is 3.5.4.I don know maybe is problem in different version of Intel Raid Rom between these motherboard.

I think problem is in incompactibility between SATA II and SATA I standard.I think that sata 2 discs is not recognized very well on SATA 1 controller (Intel ICH5R with Intel Raid rom 3.5.3.0003),so my motherboard (ICH5R controler ) format my drives with errors.
Now i m trying to buy SATA 2 PCI controler,and try to test disc again,but SATA 2 pci controler is not answer, because of PCI bridge limit and lowering performance.

I sent these new disc to computer resaller,but they returnet from them with no errors.

If anybody have sollution for my problem i will be very happy.I don t now what else to do.

Thanks

P.S

Sorry on my English.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
is there any jumper to switch from SATA II to SATA I ?
Your mobo doesn't support SATA II, so if there's a jumper to switch the transfer mode then switch it.

Have you tried to format them by using the software tools from WD ?

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
is there any jumper to switch from SATA II to SATA I ?
Your mobo doesn't support SATA II, so if there's a jumper to switch the transfer mode then switch it.

Have you tried to format them by using the software tools from WD ?

I try with jumper 5-6 SATA 1 limit but same thing.WD tools for formating drive do quick format.Quick format pass,but it is not secure too keep any data on them.I try low level format,and it pass.After that i do regular format,and it pass.I go back ghost image and after one day the same problem.I cant copy from that drives to another discs.I try again format and freeze on 35 %.I try regular format on second machine ASUS AN8sli with sata 2.0 controller,and it pass with no problem.

I m a service computer engineer i try everything what i have in mind >bios upgrades,drivers,low level format,hdd tools but nothing.
I bought two hdd same version wd2500js and both have the same problem with formating.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Could be everything then ...hmmm...it's strange.

I hope you don't have heat problem in your PC.

Lets start with S.M.A.R.T, try to disable this from BIOS.
There's 32bit Data transfer too in BIOS, you can try to disable it.

I read on your previous thread, you got an error on your RAID controller. It could be this is why the trouble arise.

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Could be everything then ...hmmm...it's strange.

I hope you don't have heat problem in your PC.

Lets start with S.M.A.R.T, try to disable this from BIOS.
There's 32bit Data transfer too in BIOS, you can try to disable it.

I read on your previous thread, you got an error on your RAID controller. It could be this is why the trouble arise.

I have Chieftec Dragon midi tower with 5 fans inside with 350w power supply,3.4 ghz Pentium 4 Nortwood,2 gb 433 mhz Kingmax memory,MSI FX5950 ultra 256 mb ram 1394 card,Skystar 2 card,Creative player 5.1 card,1x160 gb hdd Maxtor ata 6y160po,1x 250 gb WD hdd ata WD2500JB,1 x wireless pci card and 2x ND3540 DVD Writers.All components and Windows XP Pro with SP2 works perfectly

Now i temporary have 2x80 gb wd800jb sata hdd and it works with no problem.Last week i sell 2x120 Maxtor 6y120mo hdd and it works perfectly on my computer.Both type of these hdd is SATA 1.I read on WD site about incompatibility of WD2500js as raid 0 on ASUS P4P800 with n/a Link is http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/WDCompatibilitySummary.pdf

If you can see from these pdf file WD2500JS works on ASUS P4C800 which have also ICH5R controller,but on ASUS P4P800 is n/a.

I tested formating each drive step by step (with no raid,no SMART and no 32 bit transfer) problem is the same.When i chose in BIOS set as RAID i don t see options to change SMART or 32 bit transfer.That option is present only when discs are not in RAID configuration.
RAID or not RAID problem is the same.Formating sector by sector from windows XP installation discs (when installing a new OS) not quick formating,format freeze about 35 % in raid 0.With no raid first disk 16 % freeze and second about 25%.But same discs is working on second comp (ASUS 8NV Sli) witch have SATA 2.0 controler integrated.

If you have any idea what is going on i ill be thankfull.

Sorry on my English.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Have you tried using better quality SATA cables?
Have you tried testing the drive with dlgdiag on another computer?
Are you sure you put the jumper in the right place?
You can also report your problem to wdc tech support, they will try to help you too.

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Have you tried using better quality SATA cables?
Have you tried testing the drive with dlgdiag on another computer?
Are you sure you put the jumper in the right place?
You can also report your problem to wdc tech support, they will try to help you too.

I try with four type of new,newest cables,Jumper is 5-6 OPT 1,and i contacted yesterday WD tech support.They told me again and again for jumper and driver with button F6 in raid 0 sollution.I didn t try diag on another computer,i do only formating,i will test it tommorow with diag from wd site.

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I tested both disks with dldiag from westerndigital site on Compaq dc 5100 workstation with intel 915 chipset,and it works perfectly.Extended tests pass with no problem.
I relly don t what is going on (incompatibility perhaps)

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Ha,ha i solve the problem,second disk even format passes verywel on other computer failing on dl extended test.First disk i can format on my computer.Reason is when that disk is connected both on my integrated controler ICH5r both fails.When i did test on each disk one by one,first disk pass bud second is failing.After that first disk (good disk) i connected again on my home computer and format is passes vell.

i will replace that failing disk with new one,thanks everybody for quick responses

Sorry on English.I think that we understand each other.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Ha,ha i solve the problem,second disk even format passes verywel on other computer failing on dl extended test.First disk i can format on my computer.Reason is when that disk is connected both on my integrated controler ICH5r both fails.When i did test on each disk one by one,first disk pass bud second is failing.After that first disk (good disk) i connected again on my home computer and format is passes vell.

i will replace that failing disk with new one,thanks everybody for quick responses

Perhaps you haven't used the right ports. You see, Asus boards with ICH chips supporting SATA usually have some combination of ports which you can use without problems. You probably used just SATA1 & SATA2 but if SATA controller is set to compatible or enhanced mode instead of native in BIOS then SATA1 can be overlaid by IDE port to which you probably have DVD drive connected. Try once more using SATA3 and SATA4 ports. If in doubt, check the mainboard manual.

aldinh

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Sorry,but i have only two sata ports (P4P800 only).I solve problem with second disk.I erase him with dldiag from Western digital (erase with zeros),and try tests again.Now it passes.I installed them again on my motherboard as raid 0.Now it works well.Something was worng with other disk,so two discs no tolerate each other in Raid 0 or not Raid.After erasing second disk and tests,both disk works fine.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Sorry,but i have only two sata ports (P4P800 only).I solve problem with second disk.I erase him with dldiag from Western digital (erase with zeros),and try tests again.Now it passes.I installed them again on my motherboard as raid 0.Now it works well.Something was worng with other disk,so two discs no tolerate each other in Raid 0 or not Raid.After erasing second disk and tests,both disk works fine.

If low level format of one drive fixed it then that drive has had some bad sectors which you fixed but probably only temporarily. I would be carefull because in RAID0 if one drive fails you lose all your data.

G

i know im late but if it can help someone
sata 2 hd usually work at 3 gb/s wich it dont need any jumper, you can switch it at 1.5 gb/s wich is sata 1, lots of sata 2 came with the jumper already installed wich it gives you a sata 1, poor peoples who didnt noticed this! anyway for sure, your mobo P4P800 dont support sata 2. so that was your problem!