User Permissions: how to hide Folders

OS: Windows 2000 Server

If the "User Permissions" for a file system object (for example: a Folder)
are "None", this object should be hidden from the User.
For example: if I cannot access the folder "Bin", I should not see this
folder in the Explorer window.

Is it possible? And how?
Thank you for your help!
7 answers Last reply
More about user permissions hide folders

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:15:01 -0800, Marcel <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >OS: Windows 2000 Server
    >
    >If the "User Permissions" for a file system object (for example: a Folder)
    >are "None", this object should be hidden from the User.
    >For example: if I cannot access the folder "Bin", I should not see this
    >folder in the Explorer window.
    >
    >Is it possible? And how?
    >Thank you for your help!

    No.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:15:01 -0800, Marcel
    > <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >OS: Windows 2000 Server
    > >
    > >If the "User Permissions" for a file system object (for
    > example: a Folder)
    > >are "None", this object should be hidden from the User.
    > >For example: if I cannot access the folder "Bin", I should
    > not see this
    > >folder in the Explorer window.
    > >
    > >Is it possible? And how?
    > >Thank you for your help!
    >

    > No.
    >

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows Server MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

    Hi,

    The List Folder property is always available on the Upper folder. So
    even if you have no rights to the subfolders, you can still see them.
    It would be very difficult with permissions to do this as all
    subfolders are considered the same. Eg. If you can see the subfolders
    and files, you can see all of them, if you can’t then you can’t see
    any.

    If this is a mapped drive then you can just map to the folder inside
    the share that you want them to access. This works as long as the
    machines are w2k or XP.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/File-System-User-Permissions-hide-Folders-ftopict243541.html

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:15:01 -0800, Marcel <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >OS: Windows 2000 Server
    >
    >If the "User Permissions" for a file system object (for example: a Folder)
    >are "None", this object should be hidden from the User.
    >For example: if I cannot access the folder "Bin", I should not see this
    >folder in the Explorer window.
    >
    >Is it possible? And how?
    >Thank you for your help!

    In the near future, a well known software company will be releasing a product to do this.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Do you mean CLOAK by ScriptLogic?

    > In the near future, a well known software company will be releasing a product to do this.
    >

    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows Server MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    I have tested Cloak and it is really a good tool to hide unnecessary files
    and folders from user's view. However, I have also found that I need around
    11 minutes to copy around 11M data from my XP workstation to a "HP Proliant
    DL360 G3" server which has Cloak installed and Local and Network filters
    turned on.

    I also installed Cloak on an ordinary HP PC and the copy action is normal, I
    need only around 30 seconds to copy same set of files from my XP workstation
    to that HP PC (installed with Windows 2003 Server and Cloak).

    Anyone has experience of installing Cloak on "HP Proliant DL360 G3" or "HP
    Proliant DL380" server.

    "Marcel" wrote:

    > Do you mean CLOAK by ScriptLogic?
    >
    > > In the near future, a well known software company will be releasing a product to do this.
    > >

    > > Jerold Schulman
    > > Windows Server MVP
    > > JSI, Inc.
    > > http://www.jsiinc.com

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Terence,
    Suggest that you post this to the manufacturer's discussion forum at
    http://www.scriptlogic.com/forums/display_forum.asp?fid=21

    We run Cloak on a DL380 G3 packaged cluster (i.e. Cloak is installed to
    each node of the 2003 cluster). We also use it on our DL360 G3 2003
    Terminal Server. While I haven't used a stopwatch, I can tell you that
    I have not noticed any degredation in overall performance.

    With my understanding of the Cloak works, I can't see why it could be
    interfering with the writing of data to the server.

    Only thing I always remember about the Proliant server line is to make
    sure that you don't leave the NIC on auto speed negotiation. Until I
    learned this, there was much hair loss...

    -Kilroy

    Terence wrote:
    > I have tested Cloak and it is really a good tool to hide unnecessary
    files
    > and folders from user's view. However, I have also found that I need
    around
    > 11 minutes to copy around 11M data from my XP workstation to a "HP
    Proliant
    > DL360 G3" server which has Cloak installed and Local and Network
    filters
    > turned on.
    >
    > I also installed Cloak on an ordinary HP PC and the copy action is
    normal, I
    > need only around 30 seconds to copy same set of files from my XP
    workstation
    > to that HP PC (installed with Windows 2003 Server and Cloak).
    >
    > Anyone has experience of installing Cloak on "HP Proliant DL360 G3"
    or "HP
    > Proliant DL380" server.
    >

    > "Marcel" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you mean CLOAK by ScriptLogic?
    > >
    > > > In the near future, a well known software company will be
    releasing a product to do this.

    > > > Jerold Schulman
    > > > Windows Server MVP
    > > > JSI, Inc.
    > > > http://www.jsiinc.com

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    The speed of NIC has already set to 100Mbps Half Duplex. The speed of
    copying files without Cloak and with Cloak to the same DL360 server is
    significantly different.

    More hint is the sluggish copy occurs only when I enable the folder and file
    filters for Local and Network or either.

    Any ideas!

    "Terence" wrote:

    > I have tested Cloak and it is really a good tool to hide unnecessary files
    > and folders from user's view. However, I have also found that I need around
    > 11 minutes to copy around 11M data from my XP workstation to a "HP Proliant
    > DL360 G3" server which has Cloak installed and Local and Network filters
    > turned on.
    >
    > I also installed Cloak on an ordinary HP PC and the copy action is normal, I
    > need only around 30 seconds to copy same set of files from my XP workstation
    > to that HP PC (installed with Windows 2003 Server and Cloak).
    >
    > Anyone has experience of installing Cloak on "HP Proliant DL360 G3" or "HP
    > Proliant DL380" server.
    >

    > "Marcel" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you mean CLOAK by ScriptLogic?
    > >
    > > > In the near future, a well known software company will be releasing a product to do this.
    > > >

    > > > Jerold Schulman
    > > > Windows Server MVP
    > > > JSI, Inc.
    > > > http://www.jsiinc.com