Serial port question

I got a new laptop which doesnt have any serial port, so I am wondering what
would be the best solution if I want to do a console connection using the
switch serial port.
thanks-Rob
4 answers Last reply
More about serial port question

    You probably have a usb port? Get a usb to serial converter.

    Rob wrote:
    > I got a new laptop which doesnt have any serial port, so I am wondering what
    > would be the best solution if I want to do a console connection using the
    > switch serial port.
    > thanks-Rob

    Four solutions come to mind. From the easiest to most complex, they are:

    1) usb to serial adapter if your laptop has usb

    2) buy a pcmcia serial card (probably the simplest next to the usb solution)

    3) buy a serial to ethernet device to plug into the switch, something
    like a digi realport.(www.digi.com)- basically a serial to telnet
    converter. you plug this digi realport into the switches serial port,
    plug the laptop into the ethernet on the digi, and tlenet from your PC

    4) buy a uart, crystal, etc., a soldering iron, scematics for your
    laptops motherboard...

    Rob wrote:

    > I got a new laptop which doesnt have any serial port, so I am
    > wondering what would be the best solution if I want to do a console
    > connection using the switch serial port.
    > thanks-Rob

    Just one note of caution. Some USB-to_serial cables will not send
    BREAK. This can be a problem if you work with devices that may require
    it (like doing password recovery on Cisco gear). My cable from iogear
    works well.

    --

    hsb

    Begin <42373327$1@news.sentex.net>
    On 2005-03-15, Rob <rob@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I got a new laptop which doesnt have any serial port, so I am wondering what
    > would be the best solution if I want to do a console connection using the
    > switch serial port.

    .... and then the laptop _does_ have a parallel printer port, which nobody
    ever uses because all printers are either usb or networked.

    As ObOtherPosters have mentioned, the simplest is some sort of adapter.
    It may be worth the effort to bitch to your favourite laptop vendor
    a bit; it won't help now but maybe it will for some future model.

    (So a peecee serial is old and slow. So gimme a 2MBit uart instead!)

Laptops Ethernet Card Networking