Lsass

My sister just called with a problem:
When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome screen
should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't describe it very
well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The specified handle is
invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when pressing this. So none of
the 5 created users can log in (the Admin password they've forgotten). Safe
mode works, Last Known Good gives the same error

OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated to
SP2)

Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
remedies with me
--
Tumppi
Reply to group

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My sister just called with a problem:
    > When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome
    > screen should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't
    > describe it very well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The
    > specified handle is invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when
    > pressing this. So none of the 5 created users can log in (the Admin
    > password they've forgotten). Safe mode works, Last Known Good gives
    > the same error
    >
    > OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated
    > to SP2)
    >
    > Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
    > remedies with me

    What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Possibly a virus. The Sasser worm. Make sure you virus check the system. I
    hope your sister had anti virus software on her system? If not get the free
    version of AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com . You might also like to look
    at the threads in the link below
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20985875.html (if
    the link doesn't work from within the newsgroup copy and paste the whole
    link into your web browser)

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > My sister just called with a problem:
    > When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome screen
    > should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't describe it very
    > well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The specified handle is
    > invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when pressing this. So none of
    > the 5 created users can log in (the Admin password they've forgotten).
    > Safe
    > mode works, Last Known Good gives the same error
    >
    > OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated to
    > SP2)
    >
    > Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
    > remedies with me
    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

    Thanks to both, I also suspect Sasser.. (They don't confess to installing
    anything, only making a bid on a local "e-Bay" (huuto.net)? That needed some
    poking on the machine, I understand)

    I have AVG, so I can take that with me, but on what? As I can access only
    SafeMode, can I take it on external USB disk or do I have to burn it to
    CD-RW?? I mean, does a SafeMode include USB- and UDF-drivers? And from a
    limited account??

    If I can get the system running normally, I'm thinking of creating myself on
    that machine as admin (as backup to the normal one), but can I hide my
    account from the welcome screen??

    --

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Possibly a virus. The Sasser worm. Make sure you virus check the system. I
    > hope your sister had anti virus software on her system? If not get the
    free
    > version of AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com . You might also like to
    look
    > at the threads in the link below
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20985875.html
    (if
    > the link doesn't work from within the newsgroup copy and paste the whole
    > link into your web browser)
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    >
    > "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My sister just called with a problem:
    > > When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome screen
    > > should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't describe it very
    > > well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The specified handle is
    > > invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when pressing this. So none
    of
    > > the 5 created users can log in (the Admin password they've forgotten).
    > > Safe
    > > mode works, Last Known Good gives the same error
    > >
    > > OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated to
    > > SP2)
    > >
    > > Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
    > > remedies with me
    > > --
    > > Tumppi
    > > Reply to group
    > > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

    Also, the system was up date re. Windows updates, at least as of Oct
    23rd,.2004

    Can I run AVG without installing it?

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group
    Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Possibly a virus. The Sasser worm. Make sure you virus check the system. I
    > hope your sister had anti virus software on her system? If not get the
    free
    > version of AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com . You might also like to
    look
    > at the threads in the link below
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20985875.html
    (if
    > the link doesn't work from within the newsgroup copy and paste the whole
    > link into your web browser)
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    >
    > "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My sister just called with a problem:
    > > When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome screen
    > > should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't describe it very
    > > well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The specified handle is
    > > invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when pressing this. So none
    of
    > > the 5 created users can log in (the Admin password they've forgotten).
    > > Safe
    > > mode works, Last Known Good gives the same error
    > >
    > > OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated to
    > > SP2)
    > >
    > > Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
    > > remedies with me
    > > --
    > > Tumppi
    > > Reply to group
    > > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

    Safe mode won't recognise USB or UDF drives but you should be able to make a
    set of emergency floppy disks for AVG. I'm currently running Avast on my
    system so i can't go through the instructions. i know when you first install
    AVG you have an option to create the emergency floppy disks. Have a nose
    around your AVG application and see if you can create a set of disks to
    carry with you. Another alternative i was going to suggest, but you can't
    access the desktop, was McAfee Stinger (free)
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ This is a stand alone product which works
    from the desktop. It isn't an anti virus application it is just a quick fix
    for the most notable viruses and worm that can be used for infected systems.
    I can't find anything on the web site about adding it to a bootable floppy
    but it is only 912kb so it would fit on a floppy.T

    --

    > Thanks to both, I also suspect Sasser.. (They don't confess to installing
    > anything, only making a bid on a local "e-Bay" (huuto.net)? That needed
    > some
    > poking on the machine, I understand)
    >
    > I have AVG, so I can take that with me, but on what? As I can access only
    > SafeMode, can I take it on external USB disk or do I have to burn it to
    > CD-RW?? I mean, does a SafeMode include USB- and UDF-drivers? And from a
    > limited account??
    >

    > If I can get the system running normally, I'm thinking of creating myself
    > on
    > that machine as admin (as backup to the normal one), but can I hide my
    > account from the welcome screen??
    >
    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> Possibly a virus. The Sasser worm. Make sure you virus check the system.
    >> hope your sister had anti virus software on her system? If not get the
    > free
    >> version of AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com . You might also like to
    > look
    >> at the threads in the link below
    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20985875.html
    > (if
    >> the link doesn't work from within the newsgroup copy and paste the whole
    >> link into your web browser)
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Barnett MVP
    >> Associate Expert
    >> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
    >>
    >> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > My sister just called with a problem:
    >> > When she starts her machine, starts up to the moment the welcome screen
    >> > should come. Then it shows a box (I guess, she couldn't describe it
    >> > very
    >> > well) with the words "LSASS.EXE - System Error, The specified handle is
    >> > invalid" and OK button. But nothing happens when pressing this. So none
    > of
    >> > the 5 created users can log in (the Admin password they've forgotten).
    >> > Safe
    >> > mode works, Last Known Good gives the same error
    >> >
    >> > OS is XPpro_FI, OEM and SP1 (my install, unless they've since updated
    >> > SP2)
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?? I'm going there on Saturday, so I'd rather have something
    >> > remedies with me
    >> > --
    >> > Tumppi
    >> > Reply to group
    >> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    >> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    >> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

Windows XP