Event 55 (corrupt file system) on Win2000 SP4

I have a Win 2000 server, SP4 with MS Exchange 2000 installed. I get
Event 55 errors everytime a particular program is run. The file
systems are not corrupt, the message is bogus.

This is the event log text:
"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
run the
chkdsk utility on the volume . "

The volume name is missing, and there are 11 volumes on the system.

Any idea how to figure out what volume is the problem?

The only reference to this on MSDN is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310841
This deals with SP1 and SP2 for Windows 2000. My machine has SP4 on
it.

Any help on diagnosing or fixing this would be greatly appreciated.
Scott
2 answers Last reply
More about event corrupt file system win2000

    chkntfs (Drive Letter):

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=ntfs&EvtID=55&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=55&eventno=1210&source=Ntfs&phase=1

    John

    Scott wrote:
    > I have a Win 2000 server, SP4 with MS Exchange 2000 installed. I get
    > Event 55 errors everytime a particular program is run. The file
    > systems are not corrupt, the message is bogus.
    >
    > This is the event log text:
    > "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
    > run the
    > chkdsk utility on the volume . "
    >
    > The volume name is missing, and there are 11 volumes on the system.
    >
    > Any idea how to figure out what volume is the problem?
    >
    > The only reference to this on MSDN is here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310841
    > This deals with SP1 and SP2 for Windows 2000. My machine has SP4 on
    > it.
    >
    > Any help on diagnosing or fixing this would be greatly appreciated.
    > Scott

    Scott,

    You can get this message if you are defragmenting. There is a bug in the
    movefile code that can call out a false positive for corruption when there
    is actually nothing wrong. If you do as the even suggests and run CHKDSK /R
    on the drive, does CHKDSK find/fix any errors?

    - Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

    Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

    Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    "Scott" <ejejzfetedwa@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Win 2000 server, SP4 with MS Exchange 2000 installed. I get
    > Event 55 errors everytime a particular program is run. The file
    > systems are not corrupt, the message is bogus.
    >
    > This is the event log text:
    > "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
    > run the
    > chkdsk utility on the volume . "
    >
    > The volume name is missing, and there are 11 volumes on the system.
    >
    > Any idea how to figure out what volume is the problem?
    >
    > The only reference to this on MSDN is here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310841
    > This deals with SP1 and SP2 for Windows 2000. My machine has SP4 on
    > it.
    >
    > Any help on diagnosing or fixing this would be greatly appreciated.
    > Scott

File System Windows