Sign in with
Your question

New Conroe build strange behaviour

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2006 12:55:26 PM

Hi everyone!

First post here, and I'm a long time reader of THG. A great site!

Anyways, I recently upgraded my old p4 up to a Conroe e6600, and since I have, despite the performance, I have been astoundingly disappointed. I purchased the e6600, a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4, and 2Gb of Kingston DDR2-4200. The performance is great, except the instability of the system is a real annoyance. I am not sure whether it is the mainboard or something else...

Basically whenever I try to access one of my CD or DVD drives, the system will just sit there for about 2 or so minutes before even attempting to read the drives! When it eventually does, it works perfectly though... for a time at least. However, when I try to write a DVD, it crashes and locks up the dvd writer when writing at 16x, and writing a normal CD it has a buffer underrun normally. I have no problems with either drive running in any other system at all - even my old p3 450 system works with them properly! Whenever I try to watch a movie using any media player, it will just suddenly crash about halfway through, and things like windows explorer cannot see any drives at all. Windows continutes to work fine, but I cannot shut down or restart, and must hard-switch the power to shut down. According to task manager there are never any "Not Responding" programs. The system has all the latest updates, most recent bios and the most recent drivers.

At one stage there were also a few strange issues with the BIOS, where it actually underclocked the CPU to a 6x multiplier (as reported in the bios and at boot anyway!), but was registered in windows as running at normal speed. On occasion changes in the BIOS when selecting "Save and Exit" in the bios, the system shuts down instead of restarts, and then turns on again after a few seconds.

At this point, I have no idea what to think, whether the mainboard is at fault, or if there's a bios issue or something else wrong.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it! At the moment I am considering returning the parts for a refund, as my p4 was rock solid compared to this system!...
September 4, 2006 1:17:33 PM

As always a list of components would help immeasurably, which motherboard and memory etc. Is the DVDrom Sata or IDE..?.....
September 4, 2006 1:22:18 PM

Well I did mention that it is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 motherboard, with 2Gb Kingston ValueRam (DDR2 PC-4200) and a Conroe E6600. The drives installed are a 250GB WD (SATA2), 74GB WD Raptor (SATA), with a Pioneer DVR-108D and a LiteOn CD-RW (Both PATA).

Thanks =)
Related resources
September 4, 2006 1:28:00 PM

list ALLL of your specs. What about the PSU?
please list anyyyyything that is part of your system
September 4, 2006 1:42:24 PM

hmmm well i don't see how anything else is entirely relevant, since it should be more than sufficient i would think... but anyways, other than what i had listed before, there's a 420w FortuneTek PSU (Rebadged Thermaltake I think), a Gigabyte PCI-Express Radeon X600 Pro 128Mb, a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive (yes i still use floppy disks lol) and the CPU cooler is stock. It's running WinXP SP2 with all updates and recent drivers on the raptor, the mainboard has the most recent BIOS revision, nothing has been overclocked so it is all running stock speeds too. It's also got a DVico Fusion HDTV tuner card in it and an Audigy2 ZS sound card installed.

The PSU is 24-pin ATX, but using a single P4 power connector on the board (even though the mainboard supports EPS power), although the board is designed to run like this also anyway. I have tried an EPS power supply and the system exhibits the same behaviour. I have tried reformatting multiple times, and the same issue is also there.
September 4, 2006 1:51:26 PM

Could you list the last pare of socks you last had on.
September 4, 2006 2:15:44 PM

Quote:
hmmm well i don't see how anything else is entirely relevant, since it should be more than sufficient i would think...

Maybe it doesn't sound rational but listing your components is an unwritten (or possibly written?) rule in this forum because often one seemingly unrelated issue may very well be the issue that solves your problem.

Are the drives configured properly as master/slave? Or are you using CSEL? If you are, then I suggest that you reset your drives as master/slave. You can use the same cable, as a master/slave configuration overrides CSEL. However, CSEL won't work without the proper cable. Another option is to set your current slave drive as master and the current master as slave. With older optical drives this can be an issue as some burners prefer to run as master. There are other possible solutions, such as getting an IDE to SATA adapter, but try these suggestions first if you haven't already.
September 4, 2006 2:20:13 PM

Good point about components.. About the drives though, I have got them configured in a master/slave configuration, with the DVD writer set as master, and the CD-RW set as slave. I never used CSEL as even with the proper cables it always seemed a bit problematic.

I might try swapping the master/slave settings around and see if it makes a difference, although this configuration I have not changed since the p4, which i never had this problem with at all.. Regardless all controllers are different I guess, so maybe just some strange configuration requirement?
September 4, 2006 2:28:17 PM

Has the bios been flashed to the newest version ? along with that have you updated to the newest version of the chipset drivers. Also do you have any IDE accelerator drivers on your system ?
September 4, 2006 2:33:58 PM

Quote:
Regardless all controllers are different I guess, so maybe just some strange configuration requirement?

Intel dropped the PATA controller from the 965 chipsets so the manufacturers (including Intel) have had to add third party controllers to their motherboards. Before you swap the drives you might try disconnecting the CD-RW drive to see if the DVD burner works well by itself.
September 4, 2006 2:40:20 PM

Mike995, yes the BIOS has been flashed with the most recent version - which is F3 according to the website. All the drivers in windows are the most recent ones i could find on the gigabyte site too.

It seems veryI might have to take a look into disconnecting one of the drives tomorrow if I have time to see if there is something I can do to make it work properly... If not, I am thinking of exchanging the board for a different model, as this board I have had quite a few issues, especially with memory (the kingston valueram is the only one i could find that works in it!). Thanks for the suggestion Kukito.
September 4, 2006 2:45:46 PM

There's been a lot of talk about Gigabyte rushing these C2D boards into the marketplace, so that could be a big part of the problem. If I were you I'd RMA it for a newer version, or trade up to a bad-axe (though the extra price is hard to swallow). Or you can hang on and hope bios revisions will fix all your problems. I'm personally pretty disappointed, as GB usually delivers solid products. I was really digging the DQ6, but after reading a ton of horror stories I'm reconsidering. Anyone else on here have good/bad experiences with Gigabyte?
September 4, 2006 2:51:43 PM

hey dave. i had the same problem but i was doing cable select. i finally realized cable select is for using one drive with out regards for with one of the two connections you use. so i went back in and did the master/slave thingy. finally got my drives to read/write again. im running a p5b deluxe and the problem i get now is my raid 5/parity with 6 drives. the p5b is giving me so many install errors i've had to go back to raid 0's until asus or intel issue another bios update for the intel matrix thingy. also, the built-in wifi driver is having major issues with my tv tuner card. i am so close to rmaing this board and going to the gigabyte board. all these extras asus gives is very nice but i can't use them on raid 5. what i really liked about my past experience with gigabyte was the auto install motherboard drivers on the cd. plus it also had a reinstall feature like on a recovery partition. i hope asus does something soon before my rma period is up.

how do you like your e6600? mine is okay. it is nothing revolutionary and i wish i'd keep my p4 3.4 northwood. but i fell victim to the hype here on thg. i definitely should have waiting for quad-core or 1333FSB. since i now own the e6600, i will definitely wait for 1600FSB or something later.
September 4, 2006 2:51:53 PM

Immature BIOS is an understatement! The revision that shipped with the mainboard almost fried the CPU! I had been doing some work on the system, and it suddenly shut off as if the power failed, and wouldn't turn on for a few mins... when it eventually did it turned out the CPU was around near 80 degrees celcius!!! I had the temperature alarm setting turned on (my case does have a PC speaker that works, and it made no warning!) and when i did some deeper investigation it turned out that the fan for some reason as the CPU was heating up, the fan was not increasing in speed to match - it seemed to limit itself to about 800rpm, so as the temperature rose, it wasn't cooling it properly!!! I ran the BIOS update as soon as I realised this, and the problem is gone now... I still have the mainboard monitor in the system tray now, which i check now and then to make sure the temps are normal.

I am seriously still considering replacing the board with another model however, as even putting one drive alone on the ribbon does not seem to help with the crashing issues on the cd/dvd drives =(
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2006 2:53:42 PM

Quote:
hmmm well i don't see how anything else is entirely relevant, since it should be more than sufficient i would think... but anyways, other than what i had listed before, there's a 420w FortuneTek PSU (Rebadged Thermaltake I think), a Gigabyte PCI-Express Radeon X600 Pro 128Mb, a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive (yes i still use floppy disks lol) and the CPU cooler is stock. It's running WinXP SP2 with all updates and recent drivers on the raptor, the mainboard has the most recent BIOS revision, nothing has been overclocked so it is all running stock speeds too. It's also got a DVico Fusion HDTV tuner card in it and an Audigy2 ZS sound card installed.

The PSU is 24-pin ATX, but using a single P4 power connector on the board (even though the mainboard supports EPS power), although the board is designed to run like this also anyway. I have tried an EPS power supply and the system exhibits the same behaviour. I have tried reformatting multiple times, and the same issue is also there.

Most FortuneTec power supplies only have 15A or less on the 12v rail. Which particular model do you have? Those are horrible power supplies btw.
September 4, 2006 2:57:07 PM

hehe SunAngel i hear ya on the hype about the 6600 - i did sorta get sucked in too, especially since I was finding my p4 prescott is more a room heater than a useful system... The 6600 just totally pwns my p4 in every way - which is what my 1.86GHz dothan laptop was doing too lol. I'm not actually using RAID on this system at all, and I am actually considering going with a different brand mainboard altogether now... I've always liked gigabyte (i had one in my p4 which has given years of good service without a problem), although this experience has really soured my opinion... especially since the fan speed issue nearly fried my expensive cpu!
September 4, 2006 3:00:31 PM

I actually only got the supply as my original 350w supply that came with the case didn't have enough power to supply my p4 system - when I would play games the graphics would constantly crash, which turned out that the PSU was running near it's limit at about 340w of load. The fortunetek was in stock at the local shop, so i just got that, assuming it would just stay with the p4.

The model is FSP400-60THN.
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2006 3:06:29 PM

Quote:
I actually only got the supply as my original 350w supply that came with the case didn't have enough power to supply my p4 system - when I would play games the graphics would constantly crash, which turned out that the PSU was running near it's limit at about 340w of load. The fortunetek was in stock at the local shop, so i just got that, assuming it would just stay with the p4.

The model is FSP400-60THN.

Ohhh.. that's a good unit.. Fortron FSP unit those have 14A on teh 12V1 and 15A on the 12V2.. which isn't bad.
September 4, 2006 3:09:05 PM

hehe yeah i noticed those values as i was looking for the model number just before. Would you think it would be capable of running the system without too many problems with the specs? it's not really a gaming rig - it's more for video editing, so the video card isn't anything special, which obviously brings down the requirements considerably..
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2006 3:19:52 PM

Quote:
hehe yeah i noticed those values as i was looking for the model number just before. Would you think it would be capable of running the system without too many problems with the specs? it's not really a gaming rig - it's more for video editing, so the video card isn't anything special, which obviously brings down the requirements considerably..

Actually I believe even a 300W PSU would be more then enough for the amount of components you have. I came to this conclusion by using this Power Supply Calculator. Seems to me it's something else.
September 4, 2006 3:23:41 PM

That's what I thought too, but something was draining it lots, as the fan in the PSU was spinning full speed under load and outputting heaps of heat, and when i had an ammeter on the cables, it seemed to be approaching the limit. Looking at the PSU now it was actually a 300W, although since it came with the case, I assume it would actually be rated a little less than that (maybe 280w or something). The PSU is a fairly respectable brand though (Enlight) and was rather heavy, so maybe at that load level it was just having a few issues with stability.
September 4, 2006 3:23:59 PM

Quote:
how do you like your e6600? mine is okay. it is nothing revolutionary and i wish i'd keep my p4 3.4 northwood. but i fell victim to the hype here on thg. i definitely should have waiting for quad-core or 1333FSB. since i now own the e6600, i will definitely wait for 1600FSB or something later.

I like my new E6300 better than Pentium D930 I had before because believe it or not it is faster even at stock speed (1.86GHz).
Not to mention that I can run it at 2.8GHz thus beating the crap out of everything else and coming very close to X6800 with scores so I think that you are a bit on the FUD side with this statement.

About PSU, Intel states these requirements for their Bad Axe board, so maybe it can apply for the others too:

[code:1:7a8f1355a0]
PCG
05B - 12V2 16A continuous and 19A peak for 10ms
05A - 12V2 13A continuous and 16.5A peak for 10ms
[/code:1:7a8f1355a0]

Conroe and Allendale are actually PCG 06A and 06B so I presume they need less power but if your PSU can supply the above then don't worry about it.

Anyway dave262, I suggest you to return that mainboard and get Bad Axe or any other board based on 975X chipset. It is more expensive but it has good old ICH7 instead of ICH8 which doesn't have IDE channels and which consumes more power and produces more heat than the old one. I have heard that many are complaining because board vendors had to use additional controllers for IDE channels which turned out to have many compatibility issues.
September 4, 2006 3:29:25 PM

Yeah I have been considering that, although I'm still not so sure whether I should look at the older 975x chipsets or look at the 965's. I mainly got this system since I only ever do major upgrades, as it always seemed pointless to just upgrade the CPU alone, and i wanted a chipset that was designed more specifically for the conroe.

I do need to decide what to do in the next day however, as beyond that I won't be able to change the board over (7-day return policy i think).

Any suggestions over a reasonable mid-range board with similar specs to the gigabyte 965p-ds4 - with 975x chipset or 965?
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2006 3:33:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have been considering that, although I'm still not so sure whether I should look at the older 975x chipsets or look at the 965's. I mainly got this system since I only ever do major upgrades, as it always seemed pointless to just upgrade the CPU alone, and i wanted a chipset that was designed more specifically for the conroe.

I do need to decide what to do in the next day however, as beyond that I won't be able to change the board over (7-day return policy i think).

Any suggestions over a reasonable mid-range board with similar specs to the gigabyte 965p-ds4 - with 975x chipset or 965?

Asus P5B boards.. Deluxe or non Deluxe are good boards using the 965 chipset. Infact I believe the P5B Deluxe is the best overclocking board out there.
September 4, 2006 3:36:55 PM

Yeah i'd been reading the reviews on that one.. I've had bad experiences with asus boards in the past thought (with one mainboard that developed a short and blew up the psu, also destroying a hard drive in the process, and the rma board with failed onboard video lol), although it seems many of those issues have passed finally. Only issue with the deluxe model is that I still use a parallel printer port for some applications and for a printer, so I would have to go with the lowest model - the P5B non-deluxe i think.. =\
September 4, 2006 3:37:21 PM

Unless I missed it, nobody suggested checkihg out the ram sticks. Run memtest86 on them, or alternatively, one stick at a time to check if there's a bad one. This may be a useless task, but since the ram is one of the things that got changed, it makes sense to me to check it out.

Other than that, as many have said, the motherboard and/or its BIOS may have a problem. One thing about jumping into new technologies too fast, whether it is a Conroe chip or an AM2 chip, is the likelihood of instabilities until all the bugs are found and delt with. That's why I prefer to wait a few months when any all new product is put out on the market.
September 4, 2006 3:41:19 PM

Quote:
On occasion changes in the BIOS when selecting "Save and Exit" in the bios, the system shuts down instead of restarts, and then turns on again after a few seconds.

Hey Buddy,
I was having the same problem with my E6600.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

After a while it became more stable and I'm running at 315x9.
September 4, 2006 3:47:52 PM

Quote:
After a while it became more stable and I'm running at 315x9.

Hmmm that's interesting... I don't see how a system could become more stable over time lol

I'm not actually really into overclocking the system, as I don't really feel that confident in doing so. It does seem that the BIOS is rather random however, as there are just some really odd things that it does now and then... I mean I can't even turn on the CPU Fan fail alarm, as when the system boots (with the fan off obviously as the cpu is still cool) the alarm goes off for about 10 mins until the cpu is warm enough to need it on! :S
September 4, 2006 4:01:24 PM

New sympton: In trying to format a disk to boot into memtest, it fails at reading and formatting a floppy disk... this has got to be a fault with the board right??? It just throws up I/O errors and the such, and even with floppy disks seems to access the drive slower than i have ever seen!
September 4, 2006 4:04:11 PM

Quote:
There's been a lot of talk about Gigabyte rushing these C2D boards into the marketplace, so that could be a big part of the problem. If I were you I'd RMA it for a newer version, or trade up to a bad-axe (though the extra price is hard to swallow). Or you can hang on and hope bios revisions will fix all your problems. I'm personally pretty disappointed, as GB usually delivers solid products. I was really digging the DQ6, but after reading a ton of horror stories I'm reconsidering. Anyone else on here have good/bad experiences with Gigabyte?

people only ever post things when something bad happen, i have DQ6 mobo and its perfect and im runing my HD and dvd on the 3rd party ide controller and its fine.
September 4, 2006 4:29:51 PM

Glad to hear your getting the glorious overclock. We all have different needs. I regularly do nothing demanding. Its just the lone instance where I am going to be away from the computer for a while and need to transcode some tv shows to wmv to put on my portable media player. the e6600 is faster but the cost of my old system plus the cost of my new system didn't translate into the speed increase i was expecting. the e6600 is nice and all but i was doing just fine at my last speed bump. i am glad conroe is out so the marketing hype on this site will die down. had it not been for all the talk about expected performance i may have just hung on to my p4 3.4. fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me. :) 
September 4, 2006 4:36:02 PM

Quote:

You know... I started out with a Gigabyte P965-DS3 (similar to the DS4), I had so much strange problems with PCI card detection and the Transcend DDR2-667 1GB memory module I had that I eventually RMA'd it. Oh yeah, and also, if u enable the Intel QST in the DS3's BIOS, an unknown driver will showup in WinXP SP2 with no driver to be found on GB website, nor on the install CD, nor Intel website... great support man~!

All this really shows that the BIOS is badly put together and rushed out the door to make the press release. Anyway, one week later, I traded for ASUS P5B Deluxe instead ... it's working quite stablily now (been about 4 weeks now). the only minor glitch I encountered was when I upgraded the BIOS from 0405 to 0507 before (which I hard reset the BIOS then it was fine again). Other then that... everything's cool.

I'd have to say that despite the GB board having a seemingly better H/W component selection/usage, their poor BIOS support renders the purchase a bad one. The BIOS support is equally important to the H/W itself.

Oh get this... GB support just replied to me this weekend about how to reproduce the unknown driver issue on the DS3 and to provide them a screen capture (-_-)||| (great... I posted the question over a month ago, thanks for replying)
September 4, 2006 4:36:41 PM

Same here. It did worry me at first but it seems to be normal operation.
September 4, 2006 4:40:59 PM

He may have a point. My P5B was no where near stable when I bought it. Now, other than the RAID 5 thingy, its performing well.

I chose Asus because they give you a complete mobo (board, cables, accessories, the works). It seems gigabyte only gives you the bare minimum. I know, I know...I can just go buy what ever extra I need. but why? asus gave me everything in one package. I want the intel 975x but dollar for dollar asus provided more.
September 4, 2006 4:44:44 PM

Quote:
Infact I believe the P5B Deluxe is the best overclocking board out there.

Very interesting (if not particularily important to Dave262).
He just wants a stable PC with optical drives. He doesn't even have gamer's vidcard.
I have heard nothing but HORROR about Gigabyte mobos for weeks now...
Many folks hating their Conroes because of crappy BIOS's and flaky mobos!
That said, a dual-vidcard 975 Asus solution would not seem to be tailor-made for Dave262 either.
Dave, would you consider investing $39 bucks in a single nice modern CD/DVD burner? That old Master/Slave thing is from the 90's...
And the single P965 IDE controller is an add-on anyway, as has been pointed out - you cannot install OS to IDE drive on it (I know, I tried) so report of erratic performance is not overly surprising.
Also, the stock Intel 4-pin fan is controlled by Gigabyte through BIOS. If disabled (set on full speed) there, Intel and the OS will then try to control it through SpeedStep; ditto for the CPU speed and voltage.
Increase your RAM voltage right away, to at least 2.0 or 2.1v to ensure top stability (and remove memory as a factor). I notice you have disabled onboard audio and installed Soundblaster. You also have PCI TV board. You must remove both until rig is determined 100% solid!
I assume that, very first thing on fresh SP2 OS (before any software/drivers) you installed Intel Chipset software...?
We will see many BIOS releases between now and Christmas, for all our P965 mobos. (There is a new ABit release already but I have not required it.)
If you want top-quality, unmatched stability and a rock-solid rig at reasonable price, I can recommend ABit AB9 (or the AB9 Pro, if you are Mr. SATA or you desire/require the dual gigaLAN).
I am reminded of buddy somewhere in these forums, LoL - his Gigabyte mobo will not go past 333MHz (FSB1333) so he is disgusted and going to send it all back, heheh :^)
But I assume he was solid at FSB1066, LoL, so there is hope for you too...
Or there is always ABit.
I don't wish to 'dis' the 975X (or Asus, of course they're very good) but I have no use for dual-graphics mobos that will run only nVidia, or only ATI, vidcards. Hell, I was running 2 x Voodoo2 3dfx 10 years ago and it was somewhat frivolous then too, LoL...
But good luck to you, don't be hasty, and let us know what happens.
Regards
September 4, 2006 4:51:35 PM

your so right about dual graphics for either ati or nvidia. my p5b has two x16 slots and i was thing about filling the first with an 7300 and the second with a x1300. but, i just won't know which to use as my main display. oh the pressure im putting on myself.
September 4, 2006 7:18:23 PM

Quote:

Asus P5B boards.. Deluxe or non Deluxe are good boards using the 965 chipset. Infact I believe the P5B Deluxe is the best overclocking board out there.

i didnt think they were good for overclocking but now that im reading it seems there pretty decent.

and can someone explain bad axe to me? ive never heard or know what this is. is it a manufacture?
September 4, 2006 7:43:45 PM

It's an Intel motherboard. BLKD975XBXLKR. I think the reason it's called Bad Axe is because of the BX in the name.

PS: A skinny joint with good sinse is always better than a fat one with regular stuff. :) 
September 4, 2006 7:58:03 PM

This is likely an inane suggestion and I apologize in advance for making it.

Your listed components include a sound card.
You might double check that the onboard sound is disabled -- even if you believe you disabled it already, go back and check.

A conflict error such as that SHOULD NOT cause all the kinds of problems you've been having -- but it can create a variety of gremlins.
Just a thought.
September 4, 2006 8:13:18 PM

do the bad axe's not sell on newegg?
September 4, 2006 8:22:05 PM

Go check.
September 4, 2006 8:52:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah i'd been reading the reviews on that one.. I've had bad experiences with asus boards in the past thought (with one mainboard that developed a short and blew up the psu, also destroying a hard drive in the process, and the rma board with failed onboard video lol), although it seems many of those issues have passed finally. Only issue with the deluxe model is that I still use a parallel printer port for some applications and for a printer, so I would have to go with the lowest model - the P5B non-deluxe i think.. =\

I'd say the P5B deluxe is the only 965 chipset board to go with yet, but I would highly recommend 975's like the Intel BadAxe or Asus P5W DH Deluxe. These boards are mature and WILL support quad core when they come along. The latter is in my system and as stable as a rock. Yes there are issues with the 965 chipset requiring a third-party chip for IDE, that's why I asked if you were using Pata or Atapi for the CDR/DVD since there are problems with Atapi devices on these add-on sets. And Don't use a writer in a Master/slave setup. As for parallel printers, an ethernet to Parallel adaptor is readily available, and using a printer on Lan is more convenient than having to have a particular computer on when printing is required from another unit, the laptop etc.
September 4, 2006 9:17:29 PM

Quote:
Go check.

ya thanks ass, i looked and couldnt find which is why i made the post. Thinking i could have overlooked it. good info though :roll:
September 4, 2006 9:34:25 PM

Quote:
ya thanks ass, i looked and couldnt find which is why i made the post. Thinking i could have overlooked it. good info though :roll:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Happy now? Sheesh!

A simple google check would have told about the Bad Axe, but I was nice enough to answer the question for you. Then you turn around and call me an ass? :roll:
September 4, 2006 9:49:39 PM

Quote:
Infact I believe the P5B Deluxe is the best overclocking board out there.

Very interesting (if not particularily important to Dave262).
He just wants a stable PC with optical drives. He doesn't even have gamer's vidcard.
I have heard nothing but HORROR about Gigabyte mobos for weeks now...
Many folks hating their Conroes because of crappy BIOS's and flaky mobos!
That said, a dual-vidcard 975 Asus solution would not seem to be tailor-made for Dave262 either.
Dave, would you consider investing $39 bucks in a single nice modern CD/DVD burner? That old Master/Slave thing is from the 90's...
And the single P965 IDE controller is an add-on anyway, as has been pointed out - you cannot install OS to IDE drive on it (I know, I tried) so report of erratic performance is not overly surprising.
Also, the stock Intel 4-pin fan is controlled by Gigabyte through BIOS. If disabled (set on full speed) there, Intel and the OS will then try to control it through SpeedStep; ditto for the CPU speed and voltage.
Increase your RAM voltage right away, to at least 2.0 or 2.1v to ensure top stability (and remove memory as a factor). I notice you have disabled onboard audio and installed Soundblaster. You also have PCI TV board. You must remove both until rig is determined 100% solid!
I assume that, very first thing on fresh SP2 OS (before any software/drivers) you installed Intel Chipset software...?
We will see many BIOS releases between now and Christmas, for all our P965 mobos. (There is a new ABit release already but I have not required it.)
If you want top-quality, unmatched stability and a rock-solid rig at reasonable price, I can recommend ABit AB9 (or the AB9 Pro, if you are Mr. SATA or you desire/require the dual gigaLAN).
I am reminded of buddy somewhere in these forums, LoL - his Gigabyte mobo will not go past 333MHz (FSB1333) so he is disgusted and going to send it all back, heheh :^)
But I assume he was solid at FSB1066, LoL, so there is hope for you too...
Or there is always ABit.
I don't wish to 'dis' the 975X (or Asus, of course they're very good) but I have no use for dual-graphics mobos that will run only nVidia, or only ATI, vidcards. Hell, I was running 2 x Voodoo2 3dfx 10 years ago and it was somewhat frivolous then too, LoL...
But good luck to you, don't be hasty, and let us know what happens.
Regards

Thanks for the reply - It seems like it might be a good idea to exchange the board for a 965 board from ASUS or Abit, or even a 975x if I can afford it. I haven't been having any issues with the TV tuner card or the sound card. With these cards removed, there is no change in behaviour. I used to have an old Abit BX6 for my p3 450, which I have always liked, as it is actually still working (although has many, many hardware issues on the board now), and I would consider purchasing one if not for the extremely high prices around here.

Quote:
You might double check that the onboard sound is disabled -- even if you believe you disabled it already, go back and check.

Onboard sound I have confirmed has been disabled through the BIOS. It's usually the first thing I disable when I install a new sound card ;) 

Quote:
I'd say the P5B deluxe is the only 965 chipset board to go with yet, but I would highly recommend 975's like the Intel BadAxe or Asus P5W DH Deluxe. These boards are mature and WILL support quad core when they come along. The latter is in my system and as stable as a rock. Yes there are issues with the 965 chipset requiring a third-party chip for IDE, that's why I asked if you were using Pata or Atapi for the CDR/DVD since there are problems with Atapi devices on these add-on sets. And Don't use a writer in a Master/slave setup. As for parallel printers, an ethernet to Parallel adaptor is readily available, and using a printer on Lan is more convenient than having to have a particular computer on when printing is required from another unit, the laptop etc.

I'd forgotten about the ethernet to parallel printer adapters - It would probably be a good idea really, since I have about 8 computers around here that all use the printer. Thanks for the suggestion. About the drives, the reason I have 2 drives, a DVD writer (Pioneer 108D) and a CD-RW (LiteOn 52x) is because the DVD writer is great at writing DVD's, but awful at reading and writing normal CD's (Max speed is about 32x if I remember right). It is also handy having 2 drives, especially when reinstalling software and apps on the system after reformatting ;) 

I'll have a look into the BadAxe, although from what I found on the Intel website it seems to run with crossfire, which is unnecessary for my needs since I am not really a gamer (my laptop is my gaming machine anyway!). Any idea about the difference between the 975x and 965 chipsets mainly, like support for things like Virtualisation etc.? I probably won't upgrade the system for many years, so it would be nice to be able to keep it operational for some time to come. I am leaning towards the 975x at the moment, as the 965 lacking legacy support just seems silly to me, especially since SATA CD/DVD drives seem virtually non-existent (if at all!).

Thanks for all the replies everyone :D 
September 4, 2006 9:53:49 PM

yes i do appreciate it thanks man, the problem was i did a google check and came back with the goods

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=ba22246&CartID=done&nextloc=

and over on anandtech there was a review but it doesnt state the board supports core 2 duo anywhere.
After reading the newegg reviews it appears that there is an update that will enable c2d so is that tru? and if so then are these boards really good.
Im on the fence between a ds3 or a p5b. but if this board is really as good as im hearing lately i hve no problem spending the money
September 4, 2006 10:14:47 PM

I'm just looking around for mainboards now, and it seems that Abit isn't stocked at any shops at all anywhere near me...
The Intel board is in the same situation really.

I am looking into boards such as the ASUS P5B, which seems to be quite often reviewed. Has anyone had any experience in using this board? Obviously being a 965 chipset it will still be using a 3rd party PATA controller, but does it have the same problem running with older drives?
September 4, 2006 10:17:21 PM

NP. I can see how my reply might've been construed as smartassish but it wasn't meant that way. I really did think that once I told you who the manufacturer was you would be able to locate the board at Newegg.
September 4, 2006 11:03:17 PM

what do people mean about the 965 and using 3rd party software/support? So the pata wont work right off the bat or it does.
September 4, 2006 11:19:12 PM

Looking at the block diagram for the ds4 it seems that the legacy IDE support is offered via one of Gigabyte's own chips, along with another 2 sata ports, and not by the intel 965 chipset. Obviously the gigabyte chip must have some form of incompatibility with some cd/dvd drive combos, as there seems to be some really odd behaviour with it.
!