start up problems

I have Windows 2000. For the last week, each time I start the computer, I get
a different error message which repeats as the days go by. These messages
include:

Error status 0xc0000020, stop c000026c (unable to load device driver)
Disk error. Press any key to restart. (I can't get it to restart)
Operating system not found
Checking disk for consistency (no problem found)
The start up squares freeze before the line of squares is complete
File system FAT 32, disk volume are checked (no problem found).

The only way I get the computer to start is by shutting it off and turning
it off several times. Then eventually it starts working.

I was told I can re-install all the software on CDs and floppy: Windows
Driver CD, OSS Windows 2000 Professional Recovery CD with Bios Locked set,
Mouse suite, and the office applications. I don't have my documents backed up
on another hard drive, just on floppies, so I don't want to format my hard
drive.

I don't understand the beginning directions when I put my CD in the hard
drive. Do I want to upgrade or install? Which one would maintain all my old
files?

Any other ideas for how to remedy this problem?

Thanks.
Midwintertree(removethis)@aol.com

Insert the CD and select Upgrade option. This will not overwrite your
existing documents. Hopefully this kind of re-installation may repair your OS.

"midwintertree(removethis)@aol.com" wrote:

> I have Windows 2000. For the last week, each time I start the computer, I get
> a different error message which repeats as the days go by. These messages
> include:
>
> Error status 0xc0000020, stop c000026c (unable to load device driver)
> Disk error. Press any key to restart. (I can't get it to restart)
> Operating system not found
> Checking disk for consistency (no problem found)
> The start up squares freeze before the line of squares is complete
> File system FAT 32, disk volume are checked (no problem found).
>
> The only way I get the computer to start is by shutting it off and turning
> it off several times. Then eventually it starts working.
>
> I was told I can re-install all the software on CDs and floppy: Windows
> Driver CD, OSS Windows 2000 Professional Recovery CD with Bios Locked set,
> Mouse suite, and the office applications. I don't have my documents backed up
> on another hard drive, just on floppies, so I don't want to format my hard
> drive.
>
> I don't understand the beginning directions when I put my CD in the hard
> drive. Do I want to upgrade or install? Which one would maintain all my old
> files?
>
> Any other ideas for how to remedy this problem?
>
> Thanks.
> Midwintertree(removethis)@aol.com

Hi, Shijaz.

I think you mean the "in-place upgrade", as described in this KB article:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000

As you said, this should reinstall Win2K itself, but leave installed
applications and data unchanged.

And to the OP, this reinstallation does not try to track down and identify
the problems. But reinstalling Win2K's operating system files should put
you back to a point before the problems developed. You can then rebuild
from there, making sure you install only Win2K-compatible drivers for your
hardware. You may find newer drivers than the ones that you had installed
earlier; the newer ones will, hopefully, avoid any problems that may have
been in the older versions.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA