Long Wait Before windows starts up.

MacD911

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Just got my new CPU.6600 and fitted it to my MOB.asus DH deluxe. and all seems to be Working.. But before it boots windows it sits waiting for about 5 Min's before finally moving on to boot windows... anyone have a clue what might be wrong.. Bios setting.. ? Seem okay when in Windows and get a 6500 future mark 06...if that Normal. :roll:

BlueGrass

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
From your description of Windows waiting, I'm guessing that it's at the splash
screen and the moving activity bar at the bottom, is active. At startup,
alot of things, specifically hardware devices, network drive mappings and
connectivity are being initilized or tested. Sounds like Windows is waiting
for a device or driver that eventually times out or fails to respond. Try
booting into safe mode and see if there is a difference. If so, then you
should be able to enable / disable startup apps and drivers until you find
the culprit. Also, if you did a CPU only upgrade, and Windows did not detect
the new dual core configuration, it may need a HAL swap.

sailer

Splendid
Like has been written, Windows is slow to start for a number of reasons. Mainly its a combination of the bloat of programs that are being loaded at startup and the fact that Windows itself gets larger and larger. I find it best to start the computer, go fix a cup of coffee, and do a few stretching exercises before sitting down to the computer. By then its usually ready for me to use it.

I've also noticed that its taking ever longer to shut Windows down. Same reasons, I suppose. Its an odd dicotamy, the faster the cpu's and such, the slower it seems the computer is.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
When I updated my drivers from Cat 6.5 to 6.8, the time between bios and desktop tripled, if you are using ATI that might be a factor.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
While some people think this is inherent to Windows, I digress. I've got a Dell with 1GB of RAM and a 2.66Ghz Celeron P4. Boot up is 15 seconds. That is to the Desktop, the few start-up processes are already up and running.

What programs do you have running on startup? Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? Any quicker?

Just my $.02

~Ibrahim~

MacD911

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Well...i have now just reinstalled windows and its still takes beween 2 and 5 mins to start the boot up.If i select del for set up it goes a little faster into bios..and then i boot from hard drive and it works right away... !!

Have you tried enabling/disabling "Fast Boot" in the BIOS?

i phone the tech shop..were i got it...they were not sure what to do..only said i should send it back if i can,t sort it. But it like 500 miles by post and will take about 2 weeks post and fixing time to sort it..so i hope i can get it sorted out..

Is there a CD in the drive? Take it out; anything your BIOS insists on scanning before it gets to the hard drive will slow it down. Have you set the boot order in your BIOS to go to your Windows hard drive first? You can always change it to the CD or a floppy if you need to later, but for general use make your hard drive first. Disable floppy seek at boot.
What kind of drive is it? If IDE, then make sure it is a Master, and preferably the only device on its cable.
When you shut down, make sure you do so normally. If you don't, your system is running an automatic CHKDSK on each reboot.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Sounds like the bios is waiting for a drive to time out, Do you have a floppy drive ? if not disable it and its controller then ceck that the harddisk info is correct.

b1gn

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Where exactly does it hang, after POST or before or during?

If it's after POST is complete, it's possible your MBR is corrupted. See if this fits your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503/EN-US/

Also, you didn't say which Windows OS or even ths file system was. It's possible there is other file system corruption. Hard to say though. I think we need some more specific information about the sequence of events and exactly what you see on screen.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I get a boot to desktop in 7 secs.

Clear bios,boot and set defualt,save and reboot. Enter bios and set up how you want it.

Clean out the registry of dead stuff (old drivers and other enterys)and then defrag it...defrag the registry and reboot.

Now defrag the HD itself as normal and reboot.

Now run BootVis and use the optimize boot tool and reboot.

Now it should boot like a new HD with a fresh install again!

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Is there a CD in the drive? Take it out; anything your BIOS insists on scanning before it gets to the hard drive will slow it down. Have you set the boot order in your BIOS to go to your Windows hard drive first? You can always change it to the CD or a floppy if you need to later, but for general use make your hard drive first. Disable floppy seek at boot.
What kind of drive is it? If IDE, then make sure it is a Master, and preferably the only device on its cable.
When you shut down, make sure you do so normally. If you don't, your system is running an automatic CHKDSK on each reboot.

Can't believe I forgot about that. Yeah, my system takes at least 2 minutes to boot if I've got a CD inside.

~Ibrahim~

MacD911

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I have got windows xp pro. 74 g raptor all new hardware.all seem to work fine when OS it started.Have not got disk in. It hangs where it gives the option to press Del for set up. Sits there for up 5 mins. then suddenly boots and all seem normal... i had a diffrent CPU in Before i got the conroe and the pc was working fine no problems then when i got my New CPU i tool out the MOB and replaced it with the conroe and thats when it started ... !!! i have reinstalled windows checked wires dvd roms are in the correct slaves.

i have the latest bios update 1201.

I have got the hard drives in the correct order .here is my set up.

Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz S-775 OC 3.11

Geil 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz

Asus Mainboard P5W DH DELUXE

Asus VGA-Card RX1900XTX 512MB

Thermaltake 4-In-1 Heatpipe Cooling Solution - Big Thyphoon W/Heatpipe

Creative Soundcard Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

WD Harddisk 320.0GB 7200RPM SATA 300MB

74 GB Raptor.

Thermaltake TSUNAMI VA3000 Silver Dual

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W

Done a 3D 06. got 6500 .score.

Do you think it will affect my proformance when it booted up.. IE should i send it back to the shop..?

celticbattlepants

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Using a P5W DH Deluxe, the problem is with the Q-Fan function in the BIOS. Unfortunately I do not have the link to the site I read it on. However, if you disable Q-Fan this may help.