Loss of Hard disk space

All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I cannot
seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to gobble up the
space. I have searched for large files as well as tried to go inside each
directory withhin the cmd window. Any suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about loss hard disk space

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    =?Utf-8?B?anNzYXZpbGxl?= <jssaville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I
    > cannot seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to
    > gobble up the space. I have searched for large files as well as tried
    > to go inside each directory withhin the cmd window. Any suggestions?

    I would suspect your server might have been hacked and someone is
    storing files on the system. I have seen that before. That is assuming
    you have high speed access to the Internet. Someone else pointed you to
    software that you can use to search for large directories. You may find
    that the files are in strange directoris or that they can't be deleted.
    I would also look at running a chkdsk /f on the drive to make certain
    there is not a file system problem. Let us know what you find and we can
    give you additional steps.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Leonard:

    I have assumed I have been hacked and have run chkdsk with no success. This
    would tell me that I have some files I cannot see or view. I have made sure
    that hidden files are shown. Any further suggestions?

    JOhn

    "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?anNzYXZpbGxl?= <jssaville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I
    > > cannot seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to
    > > gobble up the space. I have searched for large files as well as tried
    > > to go inside each directory withhin the cmd window. Any suggestions?
    >
    > I would suspect your server might have been hacked and someone is
    > storing files on the system. I have seen that before. That is assuming
    > you have high speed access to the Internet. Someone else pointed you to
    > software that you can use to search for large directories. You may find
    > that the files are in strange directoris or that they can't be deleted.
    > I would also look at running a chkdsk /f on the drive to make certain
    > there is not a file system problem. Let us know what you find and we can
    > give you additional steps.
    >
    > Leonard Severt
    > Microsoft Enterprise Support

    > rights.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Michael:

    I will try that and let yo know.

    Thanks

    John

    "Michael Cecil" wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:11:05 -0800, jssaville
    > <jssaville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I cannot
    > >seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to gobble up the
    > >space. I have searched for large files as well as tried to go inside each
    > >directory withhin the cmd window. Any suggestions?
    >
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Michael:

    I tried SequuoiaView and it didnt help. There are no files nor folders
    large enough to take up this space. :(

    John

    "Michael Cecil" wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:11:05 -0800, jssaville
    > <jssaville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I cannot
    > >seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to gobble up the
    > >space. I have searched for large files as well as tried to go inside each
    > >directory withhin the cmd window. Any suggestions?
    >
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    > Hi Leonard:
    >
    > I have assumed I have been hacked and have run chkdsk with no success.
    > This would tell me that I have some files I cannot see or view. I
    > have made sure that hidden files are shown. Any further suggestions?
    >
    > JOhn
    >
    > "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> =?Utf-8?B?anNzYXZpbGxl?= <jssaville@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in news:1BC1BB02-F891-4278-A2D9-83074429523C@microsoft.com:
    >>
    >> > All of a sudden my server is using 60Gb when it was using 5.5GB. I
    >> > cannot seem to find the files that have miraculously appeared to
    >> > gobble up the space. I have searched for large files as well as
    >> > tried to go inside each directory withhin the cmd window. Any
    >> > suggestions?
    >>
    >> I would suspect your server might have been hacked and someone is
    >> storing files on the system. I have seen that before. That is
    >> assuming you have high speed access to the Internet. Someone else
    >> pointed you to software that you can use to search for large
    >> directories. You may find that the files are in strange directoris or
    >> that they can't be deleted. I would also look at running a chkdsk /f
    >> on the drive to make certain there is not a file system problem. Let
    >> us know what you find and we can give you additional steps.
    >>
    >> Leonard Severt
    >> Microsoft Enterprise Support
    >>
    >> --
    >> rights.

    You can try resetting permissions on the system.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266118

    If this does not work then you may have a root kit installed on the
    system which can be very hard to detect. You can try booting in safe
    mode to see if anything looks different. However most root kits will
    also load in safe mode. The other thing you can try is getting a program
    called Streams from www.sysinternals.com. It will show data streams in
    NTFS which is how the data could also be stored.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.

File System Hard Drives Microsoft Windows