Un-encrypt a folder

I have one encrypted folder with multiple sub folders &
files which was encrypted to prevent others from viewing
this folder's items. Recently I did my yearly hard drive
wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
folder that is encrypted.

I've attempted un-encrypting the folder but I keep getting
denied access errors.

Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
contents so I can have access again?

Thanks,
Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about encrypt folder

    Recently I did my yearly hard drive
    > wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
    > files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
    > restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
    > folder that is encrypted.

    Did you backup the keys?
    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201

    You would fall into the "workgroup" section.

    > Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
    > contents so I can have access again?

    Not without the keys.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    Eric wrote:
    > I have one encrypted folder with multiple sub folders &
    > files which was encrypted to prevent others from viewing
    > this folder's items. Recently I did my yearly hard drive
    > wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
    > files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
    > restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
    > folder that is encrypted.
    >
    > I've attempted un-encrypting the folder but I keep getting
    > denied access errors.
    >
    > Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
    > contents so I can have access again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric

    Replied in another group. Please don't multipost - if you need to post to
    multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by posting a single message
    to a handful of relevant groups (separate the NG names with commas) so that
    everyone can follow the thread. This makes it easier for everyone, including
    you.

File System Microsoft Hard Drives Windows