Un-encrypt a folder

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have one encrypted folder with multiple sub folders &
files which was encrypted to prevent others from viewing
this folder's items. Recently I did my yearly hard drive
wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
folder that is encrypted.

I've attempted un-encrypting the folder but I keep getting
denied access errors.

Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
contents so I can have access again?

Thanks,
Eric

Recently I did my yearly hard drive
> wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
> files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
> restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
> folder that is encrypted.

Did you backup the keys?
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201

You would fall into the "workgroup" section.

> Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
> contents so I can have access again?

Not without the keys.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Eric wrote:
> I have one encrypted folder with multiple sub folders &
> files which was encrypted to prevent others from viewing
> this folder's items. Recently I did my yearly hard drive
> wipe and reinstall of the OS. I backed up all my critical
> files and data, performed the wipe & reinstall, and
> restored the backed up files. Now I can't open the one
> folder that is encrypted.
>
> I've attempted un-encrypting the folder but I keep getting
> denied access errors.
>
> Is it possible to restore this one folder & all it's
> contents so I can have access again?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Replied in another group. Please don't multipost - if you need to post to
multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by posting a single message
to a handful of relevant groups (separate the NG names with commas) so that
everyone can follow the thread. This makes it easier for everyone, including
you.