Need Help on Processor Platform!!

juiceman

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I have a real dilemma. They say information is key but in my case it's a cause for annoyance.

Building a new system right?! I have two choices for micro-budget build. Athlon64 3700+ at $100 or Pentium D805 at $107. Do I go socket939 or LGA775? I was leaning towards the Pentium D805 but the heat problems, life-shortening but mandatory OCing of the PD805 wasn't encouraging. I keep PCs for 5-6 years before changing. But still it seemed better than the dead-end socket939 and I'm coming to terms with not OCing, at least not past 3.3Ghz. :wink:

Still, I was confused at that time, but I just found out that some socket939 Athlon64s have been redone for socketAM2, only problem is that the 3700+ with it's 1Mb cache - which was the deciding factor isnt one of them! Now that SocketAM2 is an option again, I am really confused.

775 and AM2 allow for DDR2 which is even cheaper than DDR and performs better. But it's hard for me to not get the 1MB 3700+. Is an OCed @3.3Ghz Pentium D805 better than the Athlon64 3700?

I have about $400+- to buy:

-- mobo /w 7-chn Audio/Lan/SATA-2+IDE/4 Dual-Channel RAM Slots/3 PCI/1 PCI-exp16/ etc.
-- Geforce 7600GT
-- 1GB Dual-channel DDR?
-- CPU?

I have everything else I need, on this machine I have now, including approx 500W PSU which I'll change if I need to later on. What do you suggest I do? Thanks in advance, knowledge is power.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
I have a real dilemma. They say information is key but in my case it's a cause for annoyance.

Building a new system right?! I have two choices for micro-budget build. Athlon64 3700+ at $100 or Pentium D805 at $107. Do I go socket939 or LGA775? I was leaning towards the Pentium D805 but the heat problems, life-shortening but mandatory OCing of the PD805 wasn't encouraging. I keep PCs for 5-6 years before changing. But still it seemed better than the dead-end socket939 and I'm coming to terms with not OCing, at least not past 3.3Ghz. :wink:

Still, I was confused at that time, but I just found out that some socket939 Athlon64s have been redone for socketAM2, only problem is that the 3700+ with it's 1Mb cache - which was the deciding factor isnt one of them! Now that SocketAM2 is an option again, I am really confused.

775 and AM2 allow for DDR2 which is even cheaper than DDR and performs better. But it's hard for me to not get the 1MB 3700+. Is an OCed @3.3Ghz Pentium D805 better than the Athlon64 3700?

I have about $400+- to buy:

-- mobo /w 7-chn Audio/Lan/SATA-2+IDE/4 Dual-Channel RAM Slots/3 PCI/1 PCI-exp16/ etc.
-- Geforce 7600GT
-- 1GB Dual-channel DDR?
-- CPU?

I have everything else I need, on this machine I have now, including approx 500W PSU which I'll change if I need to later on. What do you suggest I do? Thanks in advance, knowledge is power.

Without a doubt I would advise against the Pentium D 805 Processor. It's slow & inneffciant. At the same time I would advise against a single core Athlon64 socket 939 or AM2 at this time. Especially considering you're wanting to keep your system for 4-5years.

Athlon64 X2 3800+ AM2 would be my recommendation. It's about $50USD more then the 3700+ but is a Dual Core processor. Seeing as applications and games are all moving towards Multicore processors it wouldn't make sense to purchase a single core processor at this time with the mentality of keeping it for 4-5years.

My 2 cents.

juiceman

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
If the PentiumD is slow why do so many sites recomment it? I can't spend $152 dollors on the CPU, I have to get a GPU and the cheapest - good one - is $150.

If I bought those two I'd run out of money. Thanks anyway. Anyone else have a suggestion? Please make recommendations based on my $420 budget, thanx.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Mostly because Pentium Ds are cheap, and some of the faster models - the 940+ - offer good raw performance, especially when compared to similarly priced counterparts. Still, the X2 is what you want, they generally perform better and run cooler.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
If the PentiumD is slow why do so many sites recomment it? I can't spend $152 dollors on the CPU, I have to get a GPU and the cheapest - good one - is $150.

If I bought those two I'd run out of money. Thanks anyway. Anyone else have a suggestion? Please make recommendations based on my $420 budget, thanx.

Well in that case then the Athlon64 3700+ would be best. But saving up another $50 would be best instead of pulling the trigger on a new system now.

I'd go with am2 and ddr2 for future upgradability. Am2 is virtually the same price as socket 939, and ddr2 is now cheaper than ddr. Unless you live near a Fry's. They have the retail boxed 3500 socket 939 with Ecs kt890-a board for $99.99 for the next 2 days.

TRENDING THREADS