up dates

I try to do the window up date and it tells me there are no up dates this has
been going on every time I try am I doing something wrong
--
Teri

Hi, again, Teri.

Windows Update tells me there are no updates, too. That's good! It means
I'm up to date. ;<)

Do you think you are NOT up to date? As I said in another thread you
started in this newsgroup, just press Win+Break to have the System
Properties page pop up in your face. (Or click Start | Control Panel |
System.) There it will tell you what version of Windows you are running,
plus other information, such as how much RAM you have.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Teri skuczas" <Teriskuczas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I try to do the window up date and it tells me there are no up dates this
>has
> been going on every time I try am I doing something wrong
> --
> Teri

it says I have microsoft windows 2000
5.00.2195
service 4 pack

261,616 KB ram (what is this in MB)?

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, again, Teri.
>
> Windows Update tells me there are no updates, too. That's good! It means
> I'm up to date. ;<)
>
> Do you think you are NOT up to date? As I said in another thread you
> started in this newsgroup, just press Win+Break to have the System
> Properties page pop up in your face. (Or click Start | Control Panel |
> System.) There it will tell you what version of Windows you are running,
> plus other information, such as how much RAM you have.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Teri skuczas" <Teriskuczas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I try to do the window up date and it tells me there are no up dates this
> >has
> > been going on every time I try am I doing something wrong
> > --
> > Teri

Hi, Teri.

Good. You have Windows 2000, with SP4 installed. I believe that's the
latest available SP for Win2K. Don't worry about all the recent news about
SP2; that's for Windows XP, not for Windows 2000. And, since SPs are
cumulative, everything that was previously included in the long-ago SP2 for
Win2K is now included in SP4, which you have installed.

For very good technical reasons, computer numbers are usually expressed in
binary, or powers of two. 2^10 = 1024, and this number is used often in
computer literature and language. Since it is close to 1,000, computer
programmers long ago started calling this a Kilobyte, or KB, using the
ancient word for 1,000, combined with the term "byte" for a computer "word"
of 8 bits (BInary DIgits). Four bits is a nibble and 8 bits is a whole
bite, spelled byte to show that it is being used in its technical sense.
When computer capacities started getting bigger, the terms Megabyte (MB) and
then Gigabyte (GB) became common, meaning 1024^2 and 1024^3. Soon we'll
start throwing around the terms Terabyte and Petabyte as bigger hard drives
keep getting bigger.

But, for now...
261,616 / 1024 = 255.484375, or just under 256 MB.
261,616 * 1024 = 267,894,784 bytes

or, to say it another way, 256 MB =
256 * 1024 * 1024 = 268,435,456 bytes, and
268,435,456 - 267,894,784 = 540,672 bytes, and
540,672 / 1024 = 528 KB

So, your computer probably has a total of 256 MB, but 528 KB of that is not
available to the operating system because it is being used by something
else, probably your graphics card.

If you mention the make and model of your computer, someone here may be able
to confirm my guesses.

RC
--

> it says I have microsoft windows 2000
> 5.00.2195
> service 4 pack
>
> 261,616 KB ram (what is this in MB)?
>

> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, again, Teri.
>>
>> Windows Update tells me there are no updates, too. That's good! It
>> means
>> I'm up to date. ;<)
>>
>> Do you think you are NOT up to date? As I said in another thread you
>> started in this newsgroup, just press Win+Break to have the System
>> Properties page pop up in your face. (Or click Start | Control Panel |
>> System.) There it will tell you what version of Windows you are running,
>> plus other information, such as how much RAM you have.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Teri skuczas" <Teriskuczas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I try to do the window up date and it tells me there are no up dates
>> >this
>> >has
>> > been going on every time I try am I doing something wrong
>> > --
>> > Teri

I am a Realtor and the person that fixed our office computers built this one
for me and he is at my old office and I am now sixty miles away so I do think
you for all your help
b Teri